Thread: For all the Royal fans that may be lurking in the shadows with bags over your heads.

Default For all the Royal fans that may be lurking in the shadows with bags over your heads.

Mark Grudzielanek Homeres and Drives in 5 Runs to Help Royals Pummel Phillies 17-5

06-10-20076:25 PM
    By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Associated Press) -- The next-to-worst offense in the American League had hungered for this all year _ a rout, a laugher, a runaway win where everybody feels great.
    Kansas City's 17-5 victory over Philadelphia on Sunday was so good, in fact, manager Buddy Bell figured it could hardly get much better.
    "We hit some home runs and got some key hits, got bunts down," Bell said. "We had a really good day baserunning. We did just about everything perfect offensively."
    Nobody had a better time than Mark Grudzielanek, who homered, doubled and singled and drove in five runs in KC's biggest run output in almost two years.
    "It's been frustrating all year offensively. Hopefully, this can trigger a groove going," Grudzielanek said.
    Hitting only .249 _ 17 points below the league average _ the Royals were 13th among 14 AL teams in runs and RBIs when they teed off against five Phillies pitchers. Exacting a tiny bit of revenge for the 1980 World Series, they took two of the three interleague games in Philadelphia's first visit to Kansas City since beating the Royals in that Fall Classic.
    "It's always nice when you do well, but it's always nice at the end of the game when you're shaking hands with your teammates, especially when you're kind of up and down," Grudzielanek said. "We had a lot of good days from a lot of guys."
    Grudzielanek hit a two-run homer off Phillies starter Jamie Moyer for a 4-2 lead in the third. Then in the sixth, after Ryan Howard's home run had pulled the Phillies to within a run, Grudzielanek poked a two-run single into right field off Ryan Madson to make it 8-5.
    Grudzielanek also doubled home a run in the first as the Royals scored the most runs the Phillies had allowed since a 17-3 loss at Houston on May 13, 2002.
    "I didn't throw the ball very well at all," said Moyer (5-5). "I made a lot of mistakes in the middle of the plate. I got behind hitters, I walked a couple. It's frustrating."
    For many people in the Kansas City area, the Royals lent a special meaning to the game far beyond a lopsided win.
    The players and coaches all wore a thin blue ribbon around their wrist in honor of Kelsey Smith, the 18-year-old whose abduction and slaying on June 2 touched this community and made national headlines.
    Bell met privately with some members of the Smith family Sunday morning and then gave the ribbons to team captain Mike Sweeney to distribute to the team.
    Smith was abducted from a suburban parking lot and her body was found a few days later in a park across the state line in Missouri. A man has been arrested and charged in the case.
    Bell appeared to become emotional when asked about the ribbons, and declined comment.
    "That's a personal issue," he said.
    Zack Greinke (3-2) got the victory with two innings of one-hit, five-strikeout relief. The right-hander struck out the side on 14 pitches in the seventh.
    "When it was 6-5, I thought we had a chance to win," said Phillies manager Charlie Manuel. "That's why I brought Madson in so early. Greinke closed the gate. He turned the game completely around."
    Moyer gave up six runs and seven hits in 3 2-3 innings. Tony Pena Jr. also homered off the veteran lefty, who dropped to 14-9 lifetime against the Royals in his 29th start against them.
    Howard, whose 58 homers last year led the majors, had struck out five times in a row before hitting a two-run homer off Brandon Duckworth in the fifth. It was his 12th homer of the year and second in three days for last year's NL MVP.
    Carlos Ruiz doubled home the Phillies' first run in the second and Shane Victorino homered leading off the third against starter Jorge De La Rosa. Jimmy Rollins had an RBI double in the fourth.
    Jose Mesa made his debut with Philadelphia in the sixth and gave up two runs on wild pitches while Alex Gordon was at the plate. The Phillies' career saves leader was released earlier this year by Detroit and signed with the Phillies on Friday.
    De La Rosa lasted only 3 2-3 innings and gave up three runs and five hits, with four strikeouts and four walks.
    The Royals added two in the eighth off Geoff Geary.
    Notes:@ About 50 youngsters from Greensburg, Kan., the little town that was destroyed by a massive tornado last month, were guests of the Royals. ... De La Rosa threw 93 pitches in his short outing. ... Pena's previous homer before Sunday was Aug. 26, 2006. He had an interesting line _ two at-bats, two hits, two runs, two RBIs, two sacrifice bunts and a sacrifice fly. ... Grudzielanek also drove in five runs for St. Louis against Milwaukee on Aug. 8, 2005. ... After sweeping the New York Mets three straight, the Phillies finished the six-game road trip 4-2.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

17-5!!!!!!

This the Royals we're talking about!

I bet they used up all their offense in one game. LOL!

LOL I was in KC a couple of weeks ago when they played Seattle . I went to the last game in the series ( Sunday ) . It started Raining like crazy in the 7th in I think . They were down like 6-1 . I packed up and went to look for a good place to eat some Ribs! . I did get some tailgating in before the game . I pretended I was at a chiefs game( we were all wearing Chiefs jerseys ) . Had fun anyways, Even though I drove 400 miles to see a horrible, horrible game. I had never been to a Royals game so it was pretty cool. Although there was a jerk Usher who wouldnt let the family and I move closer to the field even though there was a whole lower section all the way down to the field with nobody sitting there . You think they would try a little harder to make the fans happier so they would come back again. .

Who are these Royals you speak of?
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Who are these Royals you speak of?

LOL!!

They are the MLB Official Farm Team.

Quote Originally Posted by YZILLA View Post
    LOL I was in KC a couple of weeks ago when they played Seattle . I went to the last game in the series ( Sunday ) . It started Raining like crazy in the 7th in I think . They were down like 6-1 . I packed up and went to look for a good place to eat some Ribs! . I did get some tailgating in before the game . I pretended I was at a chiefs game( we were all wearing Chiefs jerseys ) . Had fun anyways, Even though I drove 400 miles to see a horrible, horrible game. I had never been to a Royals game so it was pretty cool. Although there was a jerk Usher who wouldnt let the family and I move closer to the field even though there was a whole lower section all the way down to the field with nobody sitting there . You think they would try a little harder to make the fans happier so they would come back again. .
    Exactly, but they have always been that way. I was fortunate enough one time to get some excellent seats behind home plate; they were playing the Brewers. The Royals were ahead by one at the top of the ninth when the Royals brought in their "closer"; he threw two pitches and gave up two home runs. We were not happy campers so we left. Back at the hotel we turned on ESPN to find out that in the bottom of the ninth Johnnie Damon hit a two run homer to win the game. At that point we were happy, unhappy campers.

Man does the NL suck. Im a White Sox fan but i always said that any AL team could whoop the crap out of any NL team. The way the Sox are playing lately I wouldnt be surprised to see you guys finally climb outta the cellar:fighting0004:.

That's funny cause I've always viewed the NL as the stronger of the two.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 06-13-2007 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighurt27 View Post
    Man does the NL suck. Im a White Sox fan but i always said that any AL team could whoop the crap out of any NL team. The way the Sox are playing lately I wouldnt be surprised to see you guys finally climb outta the cellar:fighting0004:.

That's funny cause I've always viewed the NL as the stronger of the two.

I was of the thinking that the NL teams where actually stronger, but then again I don't really follow baseball like I used to.
    You all know me!

-Eddie Murphy (The Nutty Professor)