Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chances of drafting 2 OL?

Default Chances of drafting 2 OL?

Just trying to get others thoughts on the chances of us drafting a Top Tackle with our first pick? Then drafting a OG with our second or draft a DE or MLB with our second and a OG with our third? Of course we will need to pick up a QB with our fourth.

So this would be great

1) Best Tackle
    2) DE/MLB
    3) OG
    4) QB

EDIT: Does any team have 2 first rounders this coming draft? Maybe trade our top 3 pick if we are at that spot for more picks, BUT I'm banking on my main man Croyle to come in and be lights out and we end up in the middle of the draft!!!!
    Last edited by balto; 10-07-2008 at 11:59 AM.

On the subject of kicking, how come its always other teams and not us who have fantastic kickers?
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    OH HAHAHAH no, we never got close enough to the end zone for him to try... seriously
    See here's the thing; If you look at our roster, we have heaps and piles of talent. Young talent, but talent nonetheless.
    In fact, I came across an old, post-draft issue of the Sporting News at the laundromat last Saturday. KC was the ONLY team to get an A+. Miami's draft wasn't even NEAR our zip code. But what did they do to help put their team in order? That's right; they hired Bill Parcels as a consultant and in-house strategist.
    This is how ***-backwards the Chiefs, under CARLSATAN, truly are; they sunk all this cash in to building the Lamar/AFL Museum and some new 'posh-boxes' when they didn't posses a Team or a Coach!!!
    And to this day, over 30 million dollars of cap money is collecting dust and interest in some bank.
    Arrowhead is not a theme park; you have to actually provide something for people that isn't another go-around on the Timber Wolf!
    Two or three rides on a roller coaster are enough to make me say "I'm done, and I'll see this place again in 2 or 3 years".
    Why do they think 15 straight losses, pitiful coaching, and no discernible consistency are going to keep people coming back? How are blackouts as a result of this nonsense helping the bottom-line?
    The end of this season is Clark Hunt's ONE CHANCE to step-up, take control, and build something greater than his father's legacy.

Froggy had better damned-well jump.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    On the subject of kicking, how come its always other teams and not us who have fantastic kickers?
    He hasn't done too bad so far. And, I'd much rather have a punter like Colquitt who defines "surgical precision" with a football, than great kicker.

IF it had to come down to a choice between the two.

My immediate wish-list is a dominant O-Line, and a MONSTER pass-rush.
    You get those two things happening, and you can put a guy like Martin back there and still get results.
    Not that I would EVER want to see him back there...

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Our first pick will NOT be Chase Daniels. I doubt Daniels even becomes a backup in the NFL. I doubt McCoy will come out early. Tebow may come out, but with the season he's having right now, I think he'll go back to Florida one more year to improve his draft position.

That will leave Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford. Graham Harrell is another name to look at if you want to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB.

Personally, I think the Chiefs will go:

MLB
    QB
    DE
    OL
    OLB

I think the Chiefs will find a way to get 3 picks in the top 40 or so. I don't think there is a need to spend a top 40 pick on the OL. You can find a solid RT or Guard in the 3rd or 4th round. Although, I think Herb Taylor or Barry Richardson will be the starting RT by the end of the season and I think both of those guys have the talent to win that position for the long term. So, in actuality, the Chiefs may actually only be looking for a RG next year in the draft. A solid guard can be found in the 3rd or 4th round.

I think shoring up the Linebacker spot and DE spot should be the priority after QB.
    Negative message here. Reader discretion is advised.

Right. Taylor and Richardson are unable to win jobs over the absolute zeros that we are staring right now. But they will be good enough for a Herm Edwards o-line by next season, that's for sure.

We will likely end the season at the bottom of every offensive statistical category (again), but I believe that TC is right-on here. The Chiefs, if Herm is still in charge, will never draft a first day o-lineman again.

The five NFL starting-caliber LBs that we have on the roster right now, are certainly not enough to cover the three starting LB positions that his team has.

It is funny though, how we trade JA, bench Harris, cut Law, then demote Surtain and just move right along to the next pro-bowler to blame for our poor defense.

If you refuse to acknowledge that this is the third rebuild season for The Chiefs, then at least you can grant that this is the third season of rebuilding this defense.

The one area that we all expect Herm to be able to handle, and how is that going?

I'll stay away from the rookies, but how are Herms draft picks looking right now? Hali doesn't look like an NFL starter to me. Page never did. Pollard is becoming a disapointment. Boone looks like a capable back-up. Tyler doesn't. But, since they are Herms draftees, they are all NFL starters by his decision to start them.

Over the past six NFL drafts, the Chiefs have created three good defensive players. (DE, Jared Allen; LB, Derrick Johnson; LB, Kawika Mitchell.) Go back another season, and we can add Scott Fujita to that list.

First off, who drafted those guys?

Secondly, where are they at right now?

Allen is Minnesota. Mitchell is a starter in Buffalo. Fujita is a starter in N.O.

NOTE: None of those players is on a team with a 1-4 record.

But we still have Johnson. How long will that last? Considering I fully expect Herm to announce that next season is just 'step-two' of rebuilding, he will probably trade him away, so that he can have more draft picks.

Afterall, that seems to be how a rebuild works. Find the best young player on your team, and get rid of him. Because we aren't looking for anything like that anyway.

Everybody already knows that Herm doesn't know how to build an offense. If he can't build a defense in three seasons, and most coaches are expected to build both in that time, is his purpose anything more than what I pegged him as when he arrived here? Which is to create a losing football team?

Well, job finished. Time for him to move on to the next job.

I know! This is all just a set-up! A way to test Bill Cowher!

I like it! Hey Bill! Let's see what you can do with this mess!!!
    Last edited by chief31; 10-08-2008 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    10 Jerry Rice clones do you absolutely NO GOOD if you don't have a Quarterback who can stay healthy, work a pass-rush, and shoot straight under tremendous pressure.
    We've been crying about our O-Line for as long as I've been a fan. And though we could use a couple of top tier guys( and I'd go for free agents, not draft picks )to improve our line, we have GOT to get a real-deal Quarterback.
    Look, I'm an MU fan so I'm a little biased. I had initially accepted that Daniels was just too short. And then I found out how much of a hand he has in the overall operation of that team; sitting in with the coaches for game planning, and a bunch of other stuff that your everyday college QB doesn't do.
    He's a student on his way to becoming a teacher of the game, and we need someone with that kind of moxie and drive for excellence.

GOT TO GET A QB; HAS TO HAPPEN!
    You talk as if you like this Daniels kid, but then you seem to wish him injured.

What gives?

If you like the kid, why not have him go to a team that has some kind of concern for his well-being?

As for crying for O-line since you became a fan... I thought you said you knew about DT. What fools were wanting replacements for Roaf, Shields, Tait, Weigmann and Waters? Or the Alt, Szott, Grunhard, Shields group for that matter?

I have seen some pretty good o-lines here, myself. I would be thrilled to upgrade our current o-line to below-average.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Negative message here. Reader discretion is advised.

Right. Taylor and Richardson are unable to win jobs over the absolute zeros that we are staring right now. But they will be good enough for a Herm Edwards o-line by next season, that's for sure.

We will likely end the season at the bottom of every offensive statistical category (again), but I believe that TC is right-on here. The Chiefs, if Herm is still in charge, will never draft a first day o-lineman again.

The five NFL starting-caliber LBs that we have on the roster right now, are certainly not enough to cover the three starting LB positions that his team has.

It is funny though, how we trade JA, bench Harris, cut Law, then demote Surtain and just move right along to the next pro-bowler to blame for our poor defense.

If you refuse to acknowledge that this is the third rebuild season for The Chiefs, then at least you can grant that this is the third season of rebuilding this defense.

The one area that we all expect Herm to be able to handle, and how is that going?

I'll stay away from the rookies, but how are Herms draft picks looking right now? Hali doesn't look like an NFL starter to me. Page never did. Pollard is becoming a disapointment. Boone looks like a capable back-up. Tyler doesn't. But, since they are Herms draftees, they are all NFL starters by his decision to start them.

Over the past six NFL drafts, the Chiefs have created three good defensive players. (DE, Jared Allen; LB, Derrick Johnson; LB, Kawika Mitchell.) Go back another season, and we can add Scott Fujita to that list.

First off, who drafted those guys?

Secondly, where are they at right now?

Allen is Minnesota. Mitchell is a starter in Buffalo. Fujita is a starter in N.O.

NOTE: None of those players is on a team with a 1-4 record.

But we still have Johnson. How long will that last? Considering I fully expect Herm to announce that next season is just 'step-two' of rebuilding, he will probably trade him away, so that he can have more draft picks.

Afterall, that seems to be how a rebuild works. Find the best young player on your team, and get rid of him. Because we aren't looking for anything like that anyway.

Everybody already knows that Herm doesn't know how to build an offense. If he can't build a defense in three seasons, and most coaches are expected to build both in that time, is his purpose anything more than what I pegged him as when he arrived here? Which is to create a losing football team?

Well, job finished. Time for him to move on to the next job.

I know! This is all just a set-up! A way to test Bill Cowher!

I like it! Hey Bill! Let's see what you can do with this mess!!!
    Harris was benched because he stinks, I don't know why you keep thinking he's any good. Though, we don't have any good MLBs, anyways. Surtain is old and needs to retire, the young kids can, easily, keep up with him and out-play him.

I'll give you that Page stinks at tackling, but his coverage skills aren't the worst I've seen. Pollard stinks at coverage, but he seems faster than he used to be, and has a knack for knocking the ball out. Kawika Mitchel is only good in 3-4. He's awful in 4-3. He'd have to go back to 4-3 and perform well to tell me otherwise.

As for Hali, out of all the D-ends we've started,(Boone, Hali, McBride) he's done better than all of them, as expected. He does create pressure at times, and still is good at stopping the run. So he doesn't get to the QB as much as most would want? Think about this, this is his FIRST start on the right side, and against much tougher LTs, give the kid some time. No way we could do that though, huh? Being that he's Jared Allen's replacement and all.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Harris was benched because he stinks, I don't know why you keep thinking he's any good. Though, we don't have any good MLBs, anyways. Surtain is old and needs to retire, the young kids can, easily, keep up with him and out-play him.

I'll give you that Page stinks at tackling, but his coverage skills aren't the worst I've seen. Pollard stinks at coverage, but he seems faster than he used to be, and has a knack for knocking the ball out. Kawika Mitchel is only good in 3-4. He's awful in 4-3. He'd have to go back to 4-3 and perform well to tell me otherwise.

As for Hali, out of all the D-ends we've started,(Boone, Hali, McBride) he's done better than all of them, as expected. He does create pressure at times, and still is good at stopping the run. So he doesn't get to the QB as much as most would want? Think about this, this is his FIRST start on the right side, and against much tougher LTs, give the kid some time. No way we could do that though, huh? Being that he's Jared Allen's replacement and all.
    Yeah, Hali is a force against he run. How many yards do we allow per game?

He isn't a RDE, he is a LDE, at best.

Harris? Law? Surtain? Our defense was better with them than it is now.

You can tell me all about how 'slow', or 'aweful' they are, but we were better then, than now.

I don't care if you want to tell me that you saw one of them stop during a play, take off their helmet, and run a towel in one ear, straight through the other.

Imagine this... I don't hold your player evalution as the end-all be-all. It's true. I really don't.

I saw them play, and I have seen their replacements play. They were better than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yeah, Hali is a force against he run. How many yards do we allow per game?

He isn't a RDE, he is a LDE, at best.

Harris? Law? Surtain? Our defense was better with them than it is now.

You can tell me all about how 'slow', or 'aweful' they are, but we were better then, than now.

I don't care if you want to tell me that you saw one of them stop during a play, take off their helmet, and run a towel in one ear, straight through the other.

Imagine this... I don't hold your player evalution as the end-all be-all. It's true. I really don't.

I saw them play, and I have seen their replacements play. They were better than what we have now.
    I don't know which games you saw our corners play, but if you're going by the Panthers game, name me two that can stop Muhammad and Smith, and they'd be instant Hall of Famers. Before that game, our pass defense was near the top.

As for run-D, you know that Hali isn't the whole D-line, right? There's three other guys that may screw up, then you have our incompetent and just plain horrible LBs. Dorsey isn't bad against the run, but I expected better. Hali may not be as good against the run as last season, since I'm sure that the coaching staff wants him to concentrate more on pass rushing, but I still hear his name being called for a tackle about as much as anyone.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I don't know which games you saw our corners play, but if you're going by the Panthers game, name me two that can stop Muhammad and Smith, and they'd be instant Hall of Famers. Before that game, our pass defense was near the top.

As for run-D, you know that Hali isn't the whole D-line, right? There's three other guys that may screw up, then you have our incompetent and just plain horrible LBs. Dorsey isn't bad against the run, but I expected better. Hali may not be as good against the run as last season, since I'm sure that the coaching staff wants him to concentrate more on pass rushing, but I still hear his name being called for a tackle about as much as anyone.
    I intend to leave the rookies alone. But I saw Law and Surtain playing, at least, above average last season. Not above average for their own standards, but for the league.

And they were ripped to shreds on here. Same with Harris. Maybe his play went downhill at the end of the season, as I didn't review the final couple of games, but I think the entire teams play went downhill around then.

Basic problem: Herm has had three seasons to build a defense. That is a major job-fail in my opinion.

Hali should be better than what he is, considering he was a first-round pick, even if you like his play better than I do.

My thoughts for the draft, and some of the players we could possibly select:

1st rd, pick 3 - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    2nd rd, pick 3 - Brandon Spikes, MLB, Florida
    3rd rd, pick 3 - Either Mark Sanchez, QB, USC (or) Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri
    4th rd, pick 3 - Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin
    5th rd, pick 3 - Brandon Swain, DE/OLB, West TX A&M
    6th rd, pick 3 - Jon Cooper, C, Oklahoma
    7th rd, pick 3 - Dwain Crawford, CB, Baylor

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast