Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tank(s)?

Default Tank(s)?

Does anyone else really want to see Tank Johnson here? I would love to see a pair of "Tanks" sittin in there destroying the opposing offensive lines. Johnson is one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL. I understand he has some issues and we have plenty to worry about with the guys already on this team, but how much trouble can you get into in K.C. really? lol I think the reason you don't see more trouble from our players is because of where they live. that's not a knock on the city, it's just a relatively quieter town than Chicago.

The guy WANTS to turn things around. Get him out of that city where he has all his friends, and he MAY staighten up. With all these high priced vets leaving town, it's not like we don't have the cap room. i'm not sure what the exact number is, but the only huge contracts we still have are on our O-line and CBs.

I just think this would solidify what has become a much improved D-line this spring. We've got Jared Allen, John Welbourn, and now Tank Tyler. What's one more "character" guy? Where's the risk? We already have a descent D-line without him, if he flys right, we have an amazing D-line. If he doesn't, the league suspends him without pay and we're back to what we have now.

There's already some tension in the club house with the LJ situation and the Jared Allen temper tantrum, so i don't think signing him will be that big of a distraction.

The biggest reason i DON'T think it'll happen, is because one of his best friends, Lovi Smith, just released the guy. If Lovi gets on the horn and runs the guy down, Herm wont touch him.

A reason why i think he COULD get signed is because they didn't seem too reluctant in wanting to sign Terrell Owens. They drafted Tank Tyler. They allowed Welbourn to come back. I don't see Herm shying away from "character" guys eventhough he seems to advocate strong punishment for poor decisions off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I agree with Canada and Guru that 8 weeks into the season would be a distruption and entirely too late in the season to really affect any good for the team.

As for the "Ring" It's a thread in the "Smack" forum for those who don't know; just remember to keep it respectful. It will be watched closely.
    There is one, big, advantage, to having players come to the roster, a few games into the season, such as Jared Allen and, possibly, "Tank" Johnson.

With "Tank" Tyler and "Turk" Mcbride filling-in, during the early part of the season, they will gain some, much neede, game experience. Which is. obviously, a very good thing. However, with rookies, they have a tendancy to tire, late in the season. The college season, being slightly shorter, their bodies aren't used to the beating, especially an NFL beating, that late, in the year.

Secondly, half way into the season, would be a terrific time, to have some fresh bodies. And, all the better, if they should be the legs, of a highly talented player.

I know that Chiefs fans have seen how defensive tackles have a tendancy to grow weary, anyway. So, clearly, one could see the advantages, to bringing in anpther guy, mid-way through a season.

Imagine this, if the Chiefs were to make the playoffs, (Did I say that?) Jared Allen would have played, only, twelve games. Also, hypothetically, Johnson would have played, only, eight games. That sure would be an advantage, to a defense, in the playoffs.

Just a few factors, that we may overlook, during evaluations, of the idea, of signing "Tank" Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    There is one, big, advantage, to having players come to the roster, a few games into the season, such as Jared Allen and, possibly, "Tank" Johnson.

With "Tank" Tyler and "Turk" Mcbride filling-in, during the early part of the season, they will gain some, much neede, game experience. Which is. obviously, a very good thing. However, with rookies, they have a tendancy to tire, late in the season. The college season, being slightly shorter, their bodies aren't used to the beating, especially an NFL beating, that late, in the year.

Secondly, half way into the season, would be a terrific time, to have some fresh bodies. And, all the better, if they should be the legs, of a highly talented player.

I know that Chiefs fans have seen how defensive tackles have a tendancy to grow weary, anyway. So, clearly, one could see the advantages, to bringing in anpther guy, mid-way through a season.

Imagine this, if the Chiefs were to make the playoffs, (Did I say that?) Jared Allen would have played, only, twelve games. Also, hypothetically, Johnson would have played, only, eight games. That sure would be an advantage, to a defense, in the playoffs.

Just a few factors, that we may overlook, during evaluations, of the idea, of signing "Tank" Johnson.

Good point; the problem as I see it would be whether or not we want to keep starting players that may not be as fresh or players who have an enormous amount of rust to shake off. Me; I would rather go with the rust free players.

Good point; the problem as I see it would be whether or not we want to keep starting players that may not be as fresh or players who have an enormous amount of rust to shake off. Me; I would rather go with the rust free players.
    Well, Jared Allen comes right into his spot, when he returns. As for Johnson, that's a mighty strong pair of legs, to rotate in.

It would be nice to have him step in to give guys a breather late in games and the season. Let's see if he gets in any more trouble this season

With the signing of Tank Johnson, we get a young All-Pro tackle to go with Tank Tyler and Tamba Hali. Concievably, we'll have just 3 spots to fill on a VERY solid defense. Our D-line will lose J. Allen. Our CBs will be another year older and will have to be replaced. Our Linebacking corp will be solid for the next couple years and will likely only need a OLB to replace Edwards in the near future. Our safety positions are in good hand with Pollard and Paige.

So, if we sign Johnson, we'll need a DE and 2 CBs next spring...either through the draft or free agency. That's not bad considering our defense was the worst in the league 2 years ago.

I think this could use some real consideration. The guy knows he's under a microscope, which is probably why we wasn't OVER the legal limilt. The guy didn't break a law, he seemed remorseful about his suspension, and is only in this position because of the press coverage that repeats a story over and over which makes each transgretion seem like it keeps happening over and over.

The reward far outways the risk. This could cement an all-pro D-line if Tank Tyler turns out to be what everyone thinks he could be. The guy who could make or break this deal is Alphonso Boone. He played with Johnson last year and if he puts in a good word, you may see Johnson in red week 10.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, Jared Allen comes right into his spot, when he returns. As for Johnson, that's a mighty strong pair of legs, to rotate in.

Yeah, but he's only out four weeks; not eight. But, that is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    With the signing of Tank Johnson, we get a young All-Pro tackle to go with Tank Tyler and Tamba Hali. Concievably, we'll have just 3 spots to fill on a VERY solid defense. Our D-line will lose J. Allen. Our CBs will be another year older and will have to be replaced. Our Linebacking corp will be solid for the next couple years and will likely only need a OLB to replace Edwards in the near future. Our safety positions are in good hand with Pollard and Paige.

So, if we sign Johnson, we'll need a DE and 2 CBs next spring...either through the draft or free agency. That's not bad considering our defense was the worst in the league 2 years ago.

I think this could use some real consideration. The guy knows he's under a microscope, which is probably why we wasn't OVER the legal limilt. The guy didn't break a law, he seemed remorseful about his suspension, and is only in this position because of the press coverage that repeats a story over and over which makes each transgretion seem like it keeps happening over and over.

The reward far outways the risk. This could cement an all-pro D-line if Tank Tyler turns out to be what everyone thinks he could be. The guy who could make or break this deal is Alphonso Boone. He played with Johnson last year and if he puts in a good word, you may see Johnson in red week 10.
    This is a real pet peeve of mine; I absolutely hate it when the news media reports a story, or what they think passes as one, to death.

This is a real pet peeve of mine; I absolutely hate it when the news media reports a story, or what they think passes as one, to death.
    Why, whatever do you mean?
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Why, whatever do you mean?

Heh! I can't imagine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345