Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I can't believe I'm saying this...

Default I can't believe I'm saying this...

and I know I'm in the minority here, but I agree with Carl Peterson.

“I used as my measuring stick the fact that the New York Giants got a second and fifth round picks for Jeremy Shockey,” said Peterson of the July trade between the Giants and Saints. “Although he (Shockey) is five years younger, in my opinion he’s not as good and never will be as good as Tony Gonzalez."

Shockey has trouble staying healthy. Tony has missed only two starts in the last 10 seasons. Aside from all the records, Tony's consistency and reliability make him worth more than Shockey to any team in the league.

I'll be honest in the fact that I wanted to see Tony traded. I would hate to see him in another jersey but he definitely deserves to have a shot at a title before he retires. As a fan of Tony's, I want him to be happy and wish him only the best, moving forward.

However, the Chiefs can not screw themselves for the sake of one player's happiness-- not even Tony Gonzalez.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    There's been a few other things come to light regarding this:

On NFL.com, Adam Schefter says in his blog that Tony turned down going to the Bills for a 3rd round pick. I don't know the validity of this or how he may know this. It's just what he said.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

The Kansas City Star ran an article stating that the Chiefs would have traded Tony to the Packers for a 3rd round pick but the Packers wanted too many conditions and stipulations that could hurt the Chiefs had Tony not finished his contract.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/843198.html
    ESPN was reporting this morning that the Packers were so sure that the deal was done for TG, they had already faxed the paper work into the NFL and 10 mins. before the deadline CP said he wanted a 2nd round pick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    ESPN was reporting this morning that the Packers were so sure that the deal was done for TG, they had already faxed the paper work into the NFL and 10 mins. before the deadline CP said he wanted a 2nd round pick!!!
    Yes, but part two of that previous post, was that the Chiefs would owe the Packers picks in future years if TG didn't finish out his contract over the next 3.5 years.

That is a good enough reason for him to back out. Essentially that 3rd rounder could become equivelant to a 7th rounder if TG retired after next year.

I have no doubt Carl increased the offer after thinking about it. I would.

I still hate Carl. I think we will end up losing TG after the year with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Yes, but part two of that previous post, was that the Chiefs would owe the Packers picks in future years if TG didn't finish out his contract over the next 3.5 years.

That is a good enough reason for him to back out. Essentially that 3rd rounder could become equivelant to a 7th rounder if TG retired after next year.

I have no doubt Carl increased the offer after thinking about it. I would.

I still hate Carl. I think we will end up losing TG after the year with nothing.
    Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123