Thread: Tony almost a packer, guess who f***ed the deal?

Default Tony almost a packer, guess who f***ed the deal?

Got this posted in the wrong forum (fantasy football chat!!) didn't know what I was thinking - someone please remove it from there. Thanks.

The Packers had drawn up paperwork for a Tony Gonzalez trade
    By MJD
    Aaron Rodgers was apparently very close to getting a new weapon even more lethal than his erotic dance moves: Tony Gonzalez. That's the word from Jason Wilde in the Wisconsin State Journal.
    According to two NFL sources familiar with the negotiations, the Packers had drawn up the trade paperwork and sent it to the Chiefs to finalize the deal — a third-round pick for Gonzalez — only to have the Chiefs call them 10 minutes before the deadline to say it would take a second-round pick to get the deal done.
    The Chiefs ended up keeping Gonzalez, who is now angry a deal didn't get done.
    If that story's true, Chiefs GM Carl Peterson did Tony Gonzalez dirty. Gonzalez isn't happy about it, either, and while he says he'll continue to work hard for the Chiefs, he's lost all love for Peterson. From the Kansas City Star:
    “I’m not the first guy that’s felt like he’s been wronged around here. Ask Jared Allen. Ask a lot of guys. Ask John Tait,” Gonzalez said. “That’s what happens.”
    “He wasn’t sorry,” Gonzalez said [of a voicemail that Peterson left for him]. “It’s a sour taste. But at the same time, it’s business. I don’t think Carl was out there going: ‘You know what? I’m going to screw Tony on this one. This is what I’m trying to do.’ I don’t know what reasons there were. Maybe I’ll sit down and talk to him about it, and maybe I won’t.
    “But I’m not going to forget about it.”
    I've made my feelings known on the subject before. I feel like if Gonzalez wants to pay for a Super Bowl, and the Chiefs don't even aspire to play for a Super Bowl for at least a couple of years, then the right thing to do is to move him. And it appears that they had every opportunity to do so, for a very fair price, and instead opted to let Gonzalez wallow in 4-12 land.
    You should feel shame, Carl Peterson. If you won't do the right thing for Tony Gonzalez, who's been Mr. Chief for the last decade, then what's that say to the rest of the players on your roster?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,115374
    HERM

Looks like someone already moved if for you...but I have to agree if you have a legend like Tony Gonzalez you gotta give him a chance to finish on top.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Looks like someone already moved if for you...but I have to agree if you have a legend like Tony Gonzalez you gotta give him a chance to finish on top.
    He will get his chance to do so next season. He's already said that he was going to play for 2 more years at the beginning of the season. Tony's not totally screwed out of playing for a contender and the Chiefs aren't screwed by getting a 6th or 7th round pick (for the best TE of all time!) out of a conditional deal with the packers if Tony didnt play for 3 more years.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Well more information has come out since we had this discussion. With this new information I do not blame Peterson for not making the deal.

Tony can be pissed if he wants to, but Green Bay wanted assurances that the Chiefs just could not give. From what I understand, they wanted Tony to guarantee three more years, or they wanted him to give contract money back. If he did not play, the Chiefs would have to give them draft picks in compensation.

Sorry gang, I would not have made that deal either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Well more information has come out since we had this discussion. With this new information I do not blame Peterson for not making the deal.

Tony can be pissed if he wants to, but Green Bay wanted assurances that the Chiefs just could not give. From what I understand, they wanted Tony to guarantee three more years, or they wanted him to give contract money back. If he did not play, the Chiefs would have to give them draft picks in compensation.

Sorry gang, I would not have made that deal either.
    Ya that would be a deal breaker