http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/359

Replacing Peterson

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said during an interview this week at the NFL fall meetings in Florida that Carl Peterson would be involved in selecting his eventual successor.

Peterson has the rest of this season plus one more remaining on what originally was a five-year contract. Peterson and Hunt have said it would be Peterson's final contract with the Chiefs.

"He and I had the discussion when he signed the contract that at the end we would need a succession plan," Hunt said. "It’s not a subject we’ve revisited but logically we would revisit after the season. Carl heads both the business side and the football side of the organization, which is a little bit unusual for the league. We need to think through carefully where we’re going with regard to both aspects of the operation and who the right people are for those roles."

Asked whether that meant he had made the decision to eventually split Peterson's duties into two and hire different people to run them, Hunt said, "No. Two people is much more typical but that’s not to say if we found the right person who had both skill sets, I wouldn't be open to that.

"It’s worked for us for 20 years so I don’t want to preclude that but it’s more likely that we’ll end up with two people filling the roles."

-----------------------------------------------------

"It's worked for us for 20 years..." - This quote tells me a lot about Clark...

Peterson should not be involved at all in the process of choosing his successor(s).