Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should We Draft a QB Next Year?

Default Should We Draft a QB Next Year?

With the talent we have at wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe and at tight end with Gonzo, should the Chiefs draft a QB early in the first round next season?

If so, who are the top college prospects that might fit our offense? In my opinion, Croyle is not the long term answer. Thoughts?
    The Kansas City Chiefs have a Great History. Learn who we put on the Kansas City Chiefs All Time Team

Draft Andre Smith or maybe Michael Oher with the first round pick. There are plenty of Jeff Garcia's, Jon Kitna's, or Kerry Collins' out there that can manage for a year or two until a "franchise QB is found." Draft LB in the 2nd round. WR in the 3rd.

Brodie Croyle's condition should be proof that and OL is needed to compete in the NFL. Remember Willie Roaf?

QBs get waaay too much credit when things are going well----and waay too much blame when things are going poorly. The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage and the Titans game yesterday should be adequate proof this is the case. Dominant rushing attack, and the like of Haynesworth and VandenBosch on defense, controlling the line.

Also: I'll say this--I hate UGA, but Matthew Stafford is the real deal. He has one the best arms I've ever seen---but so does Brodie Croyle. Yes, Stafford is bigger and more durable, but is priority isn't place on the OL---it'll be all for not, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 20yardline View Post
    With the talent we have at wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe and at tight end with Gonzo, should the Chiefs draft a QB early in the first round next season?

If so, who are the top college prospects that might fit our offense? In my opinion, Croyle is not the long term answer. Thoughts?
    Yes.

If they declare... Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman and Graham Harrell.

Its too early to make a decision on who. There's a lot of college football left to be played and you don't know who's going to declare for the NFL Draft.

If I had to pick to one, I would go with Sam Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by bamachum View Post
    Draft Andre Smith or maybe Michael Oher with the first round pick. There are plenty of Jeff Garcia's, Jon Kitna's, or Kerry Collins' out there that can manage for a year or two until a "franchise QB is found." Draft LB in the 2nd round. WR in the 3rd.

Brodie Croyle's condition should be proof that and OL is needed to compete in the NFL. Remember Willie Roaf?

QBs get waaay too much credit when things are going well----and waay too much blame when things are going poorly. The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage and the Titans game yesterday should be adequate proof this is the case. Dominant rushing attack, and the like of Haynesworth and VandenBosch on defense, controlling the line.

Also: I'll say this--I hate UGA, but Matthew Stafford is the real deal. He has one the best arms I've ever seen---but so does Brodie Croyle. Yes, Stafford is bigger and more durable, but is priority isn't place on the OL---it'll be all for not, imo.
    What's the difference between a 1st round Lineman and a 2cnd round Lineman?
    This will( hopefully )be our last chance to grab a 1st-round QB.
    We should not waste it.

Besides, we have absolutely NO ONE on our roster at that position as of Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    QB is the most important position on the field, and we have crap at that position.

Matt Stafford will be considered a better prospect going into next year's draft than Matt Ryan was in the last draft.

He plays on a Georgia team that has a bad O-Line, and receivers that can't get separation.

He makes throws into tight windows, moves well in and out of the pocket, has the measurables that you want, and is a leader.

He almost singlehandedly is responsible for Georgia's top ten ranking.

If we have a shot at him, you don't pass on him.
    He is the best college QB I have seen this year. Great arm and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    we will draft o-line, runningback, Wr, and linebackers
    I personally think that RB and WR are luxuries this team can't afford to draft. I'm not saying that we don't need a WR, but we have many other much bigger needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    I promise you will be AMAZED at what our Tight Ends and Receiver Corps( as they stand RIGHT NOW )can and will accomplish with a great QB who has PROTECTION.
    Absolutely. The offense will get much better once it is not so 1-dimensional. Right now, we have no pass protection, so teams stack up and blitz. We need to be able to stretch the field a little more. Once this happens, things begin to fall in place.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    I would love to grab Stafford, but someone like Juice Williams would actually fit our rebuilding process better. It seems wrong to just use a mobile qb just til you hav a pocket, but any draft qb could prob do better than where we at.
    Taking Juice in the 1st would be a major blunder IMO. If you want a big mobile QB, pull Culpepper off waivers.

Lastly, I think this OL needs major help, but you don't take guards and centers in the 1st round. If they have a top pick and Stafford is there, you take him. Let the learning process begin for him. Just like they did in GB. Then you get some o-line help in the later rounds and through free agency. Isn't this team $30 million under the salary cap? Go get a freaking Right takcle for god's sakes. Besides, if they can shore up the OL, then they can start moving the ball. Avoiding 3 and outs every possession, could help this team quite a bit.

My vote would be Stafford, OG, MLB, and get a proven RT in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    What's the difference between a 1st round Lineman and a 2cnd round Lineman?
    This will( hopefully )be our last chance to grab a 1st-round QB.
    We should not waste it.

Besides, we have absolutely NO ONE on our roster at that position as of Sunday.
    I'll say the difference is this: having a Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf, Chris Samuels, Walter Jones-type that will be a figure at LT for 10 years, is possibly the most valuable asset to a team. They are much less risky picks in terms of being able to evaluate their ability and typically stay healthy.

Look over the first-round busts at QB in recent history and how it cripples teams for years when they invest that kind of money in a "glamour pick." Look at the Dolphins, they took the LT with the first and picked up a Chad Pennington, who is playing well. In the long run, this will help them moreso than would've taking Matt Ryan, for example---even if he ends up being a great one.

My first argument is that solidify the OL which helps a) protect the QB and b) help the running game---the essential tool for winning. RBs are a seeminly a "dime-a-dozen" these days and can usually be replaced without sharp dropoff in production.

My other argument is one I made in an earlier post. QBs like Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, Jon Kitna, Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, can lead and manage a good team to the playoffs. An elite QB is not a necessity given talent around him. KC has some young talent in Dwayne Bowe, Gonzalez is still around, foreseeably, as well as Larry Johnson.

Sure up the OL. Get a journeyman QB. Keep builing up the defense and it'll win.

Oh and give Ingle Martin a chance to play this year---what could it hurt--he is a talent. He is the same age as Brodie and I've seen him play a lot over the years at Florida and Furman, he has tools. He threw the fastest ball at the combine the same year that including Croyle. He got shafted at Florida by Ron Zook who promised the job to the freshman Chris Leak and was never given a fair shot, thus he transferred to Furman. Thigpen just really hasn't been too impressive to me in what little I've seen. Then again, who really would look that great behind the current OL? That's my point.

Quote Originally Posted by bamachum View Post
    I'll say the difference is this: having a Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf, Chris Samuels, Walter Jones-type that will be a figure at LT for 10 years, is possibly the most valuable asset to a team. They are much less risky picks in terms of being able to evaluate their ability and typically stay healthy.

Look over the first-round busts at QB in recent history and how it cripples teams for years when they invest that kind of money in a "glamour pick." Look at the Dolphins, they took the LT with the first and picked up a Chad Pennington, who is playing well. In the long run, this will help them moreso than would've taking Matt Ryan, for example---even if he ends up being a great one.

My first argument is that solidify the OL which helps a) protect the QB and b) help the running game---the essential tool for winning. RBs are a seeminly a "dime-a-dozen" these days and can usually be replaced without sharp dropoff in production.

My other argument is one I made in an earlier post. QBs like Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, Jon Kitna, Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, can lead and manage a good team to the playoffs. An elite QB is not a necessity given talent around him. KC has some young talent in Dwayne Bowe, Gonzalez is still around, foreseeably, as well as Larry Johnson.

Sure up the OL. Get a journeyman QB. Keep builing up the defense and it'll win.

Oh and give Ingle Martin a chance to play this year---what could it hurt--he is a talent. He is the same age as Brodie and I've seen him play a lot over the years at Florida and Furman, he has tools. He threw the fastest ball at the combine the same year that including Croyle. He got shafted at Florida by Ron Zook who promised the job to the freshman Chris Leak and was never given a fair shot, thus he transferred to Furman. Thigpen just really hasn't been too impressive to me in what little I've seen. Then again, who really would look that great behind the current OL? That's my point.
    I know we need to build the line, but when there's NO ONE TO PROTECT, the point becomes moot!

Please wake up! Thigpen and Martin ARE ****!!!
    Are we just gonna' keep doing this bull**** whereby we HOPE we luck in to a Len Dawson or Rich Gannon!?!?!?

THIS IS INSANITY!!!!!

And I'm sick and tired of being "That Team".
    Last edited by Coach; 10-20-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: no profanity.

the biggest part of rebuilding a team is having a leader at qb. we can spend some money in free agency and get some o-line help and draft a few in the upcoming draft. but what this team needed in the previous draft and without a doubt in this years draft is a solid qb. you can pick an offensive lineman through free agency that would start for you in the the super bowl but it would be real hard to find a starting quarterback through free agency that could take you to a superbowl. unless you have a absoulute shutdown defense wich we dont so heck yeah we better draft a qb first and foremost

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    the biggest part of rebuilding a team is having a leader when can spend some money in free agency and get some o-line help and draft a few in the upcoming draft but what this team needed in the previous draft and without a doubt in this years draft is a solid qb you can pick an offensive lineman through free agency that wouls start for you in the the super bowl but it would be real hard to find a starting quarterback through free agency that could take you to a superbowl unless you have a absoulute shutdown defense wich we dont so heck yeah we better draft a qb first and foremost
    EXACTLY!
    QB comes first, then draft 2 Linemen, Draft LB's, and augment the rest of the lines through free agency!

Brilliant Post!

Some of Juice's stats , that were asked for are. Through 7 games are, 60% completion , 1948 yards , 16 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 599 yards rushing on an average of 4.4 yards per carry. More yards rushing than any running back on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by rustfan76 View Post
    Some of Juice's stats , that were asked for are. Through 7 games are, 60% completion , 1948 yards , 16 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 599 yards rushing on an average of 4.4 yards per carry. More yards rushing than any running back on the team.
    That was me, and thanks.
    I'm going to start watching megs of video this weekend in preparation for making a final call on who we should draft.
    There's a LOT of season left, but 90% of college QB's just aren't made for the NFL. So, that narrows the field a bit. Plus, I'm going OUTSIDE of the QB's and Schools that get all the face-time.
    Brandon Carr was a pick-up from "Nowhere-U", and he's already another All-World Chief in his 1st season.

I wouldn't mind having a Chiefs "Juice" Jersey; we share the same last name!

Hey, wait a minute; maybe if Herm pulls his head out of his butt( NOT likely )and pulls Donnie and Jared off the field in favor of the two guys who helped murder Denver( DuJuan and DeMorrio ), I can go ahead and GET A Williams JERSEY!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234