Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix the Chiefs

Default How to fix the Chiefs

The Chiefs are one of more interesting teams in the league, and could be one of the easiest to rebuild. In my opinion, the following owould be the best way:

1. Be very, very active in free agency and fix your lines.

Sign free agents O-linemen Jordan Gross (LT) and Marc Colombo (RT) to long term deals. Both are under 30. Overpay both of them if you have to and you will). Make gross the highest paid o-lineman in the league if you have to (and you'll have to) - just get them signed. This will also allow you to move Albert back to his natural position at RG and shoudl give the Chiefs an above average o-line.

Then sign Julius Pepper, Terrell Suggs, and Albert Haynesworth to long term deals for your d-line. All are under 30. Overpay them if you have to. Keep Dorsey at DT. The Chiefs will have the cap room to do this, even if you ignore step 2.

2. Clear out the dead weight.

Cut Brodie Croyle, Tamba Hali, MacIntosh, Donnie Edwards, all WRs not named Bowe, Pollard, Tank, Turk, Surtain, and every other project player that hasn't worked out. Try to trade those tradable and cut the rest.

3. Fix the QB position

Sign JP Losman to a two-year deal for near the minimum. Draft Stafford out of Georgia with the overall number 1 pick (which KC probably will have). Sit Stafford for a year at least and don't get him killed.

4. Convince Gonzalez and Waters not to retire.

This will be difficult, but a new regime committed to winning might be able to do it.

5. Don't cut or trade LJ

It makes no sense to cut him and eat his cap hit. Try to get 2-3 good years out of him. Behind a revamped line and with a good QB, he may become rejuvinated.

6. Draft well

Everyone needs to stop pretending Herm Edwards has drafted well. He hasn't, and most of his draft picks will be out of the league when their rookie contracts are up.

Even if the free agency plan above goes to plan, the Chiefs are still deficient at most positions. Stafford in the 1st round, and some mixture of WR, OL, LB, and CB over the rest. Do NOT draft any more DTs, RBs, TEs, or Ss.

7. Clean out the coaches and management personnel

Even if they weren't terrible at their jobs (and they are), you need to do this to rebuild faith in the franchise.

Cowher probably won't coach here (quit dreaming, people). Get Lane Kiffin (at least he'll care about Raiders games). Let him rebuild his staff. Throw a dumptruck of money at Scott Pioli to GM here.

What do you think?

Exclamation

This Lamerson dude mentioned to sign J.P.Losman to a 2 year deal as a Chief.You need to get off this site because that was the worst comment I have ever heard on here.
    GRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by Grbac View Post
    This Lamerson dude mentioned to sign J.P.Losman to a 2 year deal as a Chief.You need to get off this site because that was the worst comment I have ever heard on here.
    you are kicking people off now

SLC,who mentions something like that?Sign J.P. Losman to a 2 year deal as a Chief.
    GRRRRRRRRR

SLC,who mentions something like that?Sign J.P. Losman to a 2 year deal as a Chief.
    uh you

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    uh you

If I did then I'd make Lamerson look smart.
    GRRRRRRRRR

I guess you don't read your own posts??
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

dumbest comment i ever heard was comparing grbac to favre

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    dumbest comment i ever heard was comparing grbac to favre
    Or saying Grbac got us to the playoffs!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Default QB: a stop gap or start a rookie?

I think the biggest concern this off season is what do we do about qb. Do we sign a vet FA who can manage the game and wait for whomever we draft to develop, or do we draft a qb and throw him in the fire? By the way, I totally agree that we need to pick up at least 2 new OL men if we want to win more than 5 games next year. That is IF Brian Waters doesnt hang it up. McIntosh and Jones are trash, and im not sure if Taylor is starting RT material yet, he doesnt seem to have the angry streak a run blocker needs.

Here is the list of qbs who will be FAs next year according to ESPN:
    Kurt Warner
    Kerry Collins
    Jeff Garcia
    J.P. Losman
    Rex Grossman
    Kyle Boller
    J.T. O'Sullivan
    Byron Leftwich
    Charlie Frye
    Patrick Ramsey
    Alex Smith (under contract but likely to be cut)

as well as Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, and Chris Simms.

I think if we improve our OL (and thus regain a decent running game) a guy like garcia or leftwich makes sense. They are the only decent ones on that list in my opinion They only have a few good years left in the league while we develop next years 1st rd pick, and are good at managing and not throwing ints. We only need them to throw an occasional 3rd and long pass (which is all we ask of thigpen/huard/croyle this year which seems to be asking too much).

I prefer to go with developing a QB for a year or two. Usually starting a rookie leads to that guy getting burnt out or beaten into bad habits (David Carr). Any thoughts?

It's been proven that guys that are drafted and don't play right off do better, since they get to learn from the veteran starter. I say we do it like that. We signed Quinn Gray, and hopefully he can be that guy, so we don't have to sign another veteran, but if he isn't, then Kerry Collins is probably the best guy on the list. Jeff Garcia isn't bad, after that, it gets kind of ugly.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast