How to fix the Chiefs
The Chiefs are one of more interesting teams in the league, and could be one of the easiest to rebuild. In my opinion, the following owould be the best way:
1. Be very, very active in free agency and fix your lines.
Sign free agents O-linemen Jordan Gross (LT) and Marc Colombo (RT) to long term deals. Both are under 30. Overpay both of them if you have to and you will). Make gross the highest paid o-lineman in the league if you have to (and you'll have to) - just get them signed. This will also allow you to move Albert back to his natural position at RG and shoudl give the Chiefs an above average o-line.
Then sign Julius Pepper, Terrell Suggs, and Albert Haynesworth to long term deals for your d-line. All are under 30. Overpay them if you have to. Keep Dorsey at DT. The Chiefs will have the cap room to do this, even if you ignore step 2.
2. Clear out the dead weight.
Cut Brodie Croyle, Tamba Hali, MacIntosh, Donnie Edwards, all WRs not named Bowe, Pollard, Tank, Turk, Surtain, and every other project player that hasn't worked out. Try to trade those tradable and cut the rest.
3. Fix the QB position
Sign JP Losman to a two-year deal for near the minimum. Draft Stafford out of Georgia with the overall number 1 pick (which KC probably will have). Sit Stafford for a year at least and don't get him killed.
4. Convince Gonzalez and Waters not to retire.
This will be difficult, but a new regime committed to winning might be able to do it.
5. Don't cut or trade LJ
It makes no sense to cut him and eat his cap hit. Try to get 2-3 good years out of him. Behind a revamped line and with a good QB, he may become rejuvinated.
6. Draft well
Everyone needs to stop pretending Herm Edwards has drafted well. He hasn't, and most of his draft picks will be out of the league when their rookie contracts are up.
Even if the free agency plan above goes to plan, the Chiefs are still deficient at most positions. Stafford in the 1st round, and some mixture of WR, OL, LB, and CB over the rest. Do NOT draft any more DTs, RBs, TEs, or Ss.
7. Clean out the coaches and management personnel
Even if they weren't terrible at their jobs (and they are), you need to do this to rebuild faith in the franchise.
Cowher probably won't coach here (quit dreaming, people). Get Lane Kiffin (at least he'll care about Raiders games). Let him rebuild his staff. Throw a dumptruck of money at Scott Pioli to GM here.
What do you think?
Originally Posted by jmlamerson
The case involving CRoyle practicing against Ty Law and Patrick Surtain was a suggesting towards leaning towards a positive involving him instead of drafting another quarterback instead of allowing CRoyle to get his shot.I'm tired of reading your suck post anyways.I should throw "eggs" at you being that it's Mischief Night.
Will you two lighten up?
JM Lamerson, its obvious you are at least passionate bout the Chiefs. And I dont disagree with some of your facts because they are dead on.
If I had to give you MY 2 cents tho it would be:
1) For the Rookies, give them time before you harp on them too much. Yes it is frustrating watching other rookies Like Chris Johnson, Daunte Avery, Matt Ryan etc. to take off. But there are plenty of other teams that are trying to get the wheels rolling for they're rookies.
2) Dick Vermiel, I do blame a lot of our bad drafting on Dick. But he didnt have a lot to say on others either. He didnt want LJ. We couldve gotten Troy P. LB Nick Barnett or stud CB Ndami Asoughma. Those guys just off the top of my head in that draft. (All pro bowlers).
3)Carl Peterson, every point you make has an influence by him. Fix him.....fix a lot of these problems.
Originally Posted by jmlamerson
How would you feel if dozens of eggs were thrown at you!!???!Consider me as the 1 that destroyed your career here on Chiefs Crowd.My mission with Chiefs Crowd is finished.Be safe on the streets tonight because "eggs" are coming your way.:borg:
I am content to just post here about the Chiefs, unlike some idiots. Eggs? Can we ban the mentally challenged from the board, or at least his thread?
Originally Posted by Sn@keIze
1. True about the rookies. And I'm not going after most of this year's class as players. I'm just saying that they were bad picks for our team. That we've drafted gluts of players at S, TE, DL, and RB in the first three rounds, and few at OL, LB, and QB in the first three rounds. That guys like Morgan, Charles, and Cottam may have Hall of Fame talent - but they won't do the Chiefs any good because they're deep on the depth chart behind players not leaving anytime soon.
We've ignored positions of need for players we don't need. We keep drafting players who won't help this team rebuild no matter how much talent they have.
2. Vermiel did not draft well at all. But he didn't draft worse than Herm. That's all I'm saying. And Vermeil, for all of his faults, could coach this team to a better record than 1-15 over the past 16 games.
3. I agree entirely.
Why do you want to ban me?
The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.