Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: How to fix the Chiefs

Default How to fix the Chiefs

The Chiefs are one of more interesting teams in the league, and could be one of the easiest to rebuild. In my opinion, the following owould be the best way:

1. Be very, very active in free agency and fix your lines.

Sign free agents O-linemen Jordan Gross (LT) and Marc Colombo (RT) to long term deals. Both are under 30. Overpay both of them if you have to and you will). Make gross the highest paid o-lineman in the league if you have to (and you'll have to) - just get them signed. This will also allow you to move Albert back to his natural position at RG and shoudl give the Chiefs an above average o-line.

Then sign Julius Pepper, Terrell Suggs, and Albert Haynesworth to long term deals for your d-line. All are under 30. Overpay them if you have to. Keep Dorsey at DT. The Chiefs will have the cap room to do this, even if you ignore step 2.

2. Clear out the dead weight.

Cut Brodie Croyle, Tamba Hali, MacIntosh, Donnie Edwards, all WRs not named Bowe, Pollard, Tank, Turk, Surtain, and every other project player that hasn't worked out. Try to trade those tradable and cut the rest.

3. Fix the QB position

Sign JP Losman to a two-year deal for near the minimum. Draft Stafford out of Georgia with the overall number 1 pick (which KC probably will have). Sit Stafford for a year at least and don't get him killed.

4. Convince Gonzalez and Waters not to retire.

This will be difficult, but a new regime committed to winning might be able to do it.

5. Don't cut or trade LJ

It makes no sense to cut him and eat his cap hit. Try to get 2-3 good years out of him. Behind a revamped line and with a good QB, he may become rejuvinated.

6. Draft well

Everyone needs to stop pretending Herm Edwards has drafted well. He hasn't, and most of his draft picks will be out of the league when their rookie contracts are up.

Even if the free agency plan above goes to plan, the Chiefs are still deficient at most positions. Stafford in the 1st round, and some mixture of WR, OL, LB, and CB over the rest. Do NOT draft any more DTs, RBs, TEs, or Ss.

7. Clean out the coaches and management personnel

Even if they weren't terrible at their jobs (and they are), you need to do this to rebuild faith in the franchise.

Cowher probably won't coach here (quit dreaming, people). Get Lane Kiffin (at least he'll care about Raiders games). Let him rebuild his staff. Throw a dumptruck of money at Scott Pioli to GM here.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I don't see why you think you're making sense. You are equating being on the Herm Edwards Chiefs for three years to being on any other team in the NFL for three years. Herm Edwards has kept players on this team who could not get work elsewhere in the NFL (Richardson, Johnston, Stallings, Webb, etc.). He has also released those people who have done very well elsewhere (K. Mitchell, T. Richardson, J. Wilkerson).

Actually, Richardson left. Mitchell is average AT BEST and in what world is Wilkerson a good player?

Herm has kept his picks on the team because he cannot attract the necessary free agents to play in those positions with a NFL level of skill. He also wants to keep up his image as a master talent evaluator. This is the way Isiah Thomas held onto his job for years with the Knicks.

Actually, (I'm sorry I have to keep setting you straight), but Herm Edwards was voted 4th by players in term of who they would "most like to play for.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5162207

" But, your random nonsense about "not being able to attract free agents" sounds so much better if you could have some kind of proof to support your theories. I guess you missed the part all off season when the franchise said they weren't going to pursue free agents.

None of these players I labeled busts would make the practice squad on most teams.

lmfao... yeah, ok.

And yes, Flowers, a 2nd round CB, WAS the best pick made by the Chiefs over the past two years. Bowe was the 2nd best pick. Carr is probably the 3rd. Albert has been injured trying to play LT. He isn't right for it. Did we reach too high for a RG? Probably. But we and he would be much better off playing him there. Charles should be a great 3rd down back. Tell that to the people who claim he'll have success running the ball 20+ times a game.

I'd love to. I watched him his entire collegiate career and can tell you that he's not a featured back in the NFL.

A small point. It is idiotic for the Chiefs to keep pouring picks into RBs, SSs, and TEs to be backups in case of retirements/trades, when we have established players in front of them.

yeah, i guess it's idiotic... if you don't NEED them. The Chiefs are bringing the KR into the RB rotation because LJ is out, Charles is hurt and we don't have anyone else to backup Smith.

If you are able, explain to me how it makes sense to draft Cottam in the 3rd, sign him to a three-year contract, and then refuse to trade Tony G. Explain to me how it makes sense to draft a SS (he's too slow for FS) in Morgan in the 3rd when you have 23-year-old Pollard cemented in the SS slot?

The fact is, Gonzo WILL be retiring soon and you don't wait until a player is retired to think about replacing him. *see Roaf/Shields. Cottam is a rookie. Like any rookie, if you're able to let him see an all-pro for a year or two before letting him play, then you do that... regardless of where you draft him. If you can afford to let him sit, let him sit. Also, if you don't receive what you're asking for, why would you trade one of your best players? You're telling me you would've been ok with a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder for TG?

Who would've been the backup SS if Morgan wasn't drafted?

My point about Vermeil was that he drafted badly. I said it in my post. You chopped it up to make it seem otherwise. Do you think this helps or hurts your credibility?

I didn't chop anything up. Facts are facts. You seem to think it's ok for the Chiefs to have traded away 1st and 2nd round picks like they were going out of style for players who performed well.... but for only 4 or 5 years. That's NOT how you develop a team for long-term success. That's how you sell off all your long-term assets for short-term success. It didn't work, and now the Chiefs are paying a VERY hefty price and trying to lay ALL the blame on someone who at the VERY least understands that you can't build a long-term winner with other team's cast-offs.

I wrote that we need to wait and see for most of this year's draft, including Morgan, Charles, Dorsey, Albert, and the other you whined that I slighted. I'm not going to call them successes (or futur stars) before I actually see them do anything successfully.

In a way, I admire your utter committment to the current vision of the team. On the other hand, I'm pretty contemptuous of the fact that you don't know what you're talking about and that you're misstating what I've written.

In no way have i EVER changed ANYTHING you've written in your posts. So, if i've never touched your written words, it's impossible to "misstate" ANYTHING you've written. Your lack of football knowledge is staggering. Your talent evaluation is worse the Vermeil's and you're tying to call ME out on credibility? LMFAO!!! At least i can support my claims. You spout random bullsh!# like it's truth without any support, whatsoever.

I've been here talking about the Chiefs for two years now. My take on the Chiefs, my knowledge of football and writing ability has led me to the point where i've been asked to write commentaries on other websites, be a founding member on other websites and flat out kick your *** rhetorically whenever i feel like it.

My "credibility" as been well established. Get a clue.
    I wonder if you really believe what you write? You're qualifications are pathetic, and you don't seem to realize it. A founding member of websites? Commentaries? Big deal. No one cares. No one has any reason to care. They say a thousand chimps with a thousand typewriters would type the works of Shakespeare. One chimp with one typewriter could type the works of texaschief.

Richardson left for the same reason Tony wants out - they can't stand playing for a lousy coach/GM. Wilkerson would be our best defensive lineman right now. Mitchell was integral part of a SB winning team and is lighting it up in Buffalo. It was a terrible move to let him go in favor of the Williams/Thomas/Napo trifecta.

An acronym isn't the same as an argument. On what teams could any of the people I listed as busts actually start for?

If you need safeties, TEs, and RBs as insurance for injury, you sign cheap FAs. TEs, RBs, and Ss are the most replaceable players on the team. You don't draft them in the 3rd round when you have glaring holes at key positions. That's the difference between a good GM and a bad one.

You're missing the point on Cottam (and by extension Morgan and Charles). I'll simplify this:

Cottam was signed by the Chiefs from 2008 to 2010.
    Cottam will not be a starting TE as long as Tony Gonzalez is starting.
    Tony Gonzales is intended to be the starting TE for the next few years (at least until 2010).
    The Chiefs refuse to trade Tony G.
    Cottam has little value until Tony is not longer starting.
    Cottam has little value as a pick.

Is Tony worth more than a low 3rd? Yep. Are you going to get more than a low 3rd for him? Nope. Why draft a TE of the future and then hold onto the veteren in front of him, especially if you don't plan to be competitive for the remaining years the veteran has?

The Chiefs traded one first rounder and two second rounders for Trent Green and Patrick Surtain. Those were good trades for a team looking to win now. There isn't a successful team out there that hasn't made much, much worse picks/trades with high picks. Both were contributors to a 13-3 team that (unfortunately) flamed out in a puntless (both sides) game. I don't regret those trades for even a second.

And, by the way, if a team is stupid to trade for a veteran with only a couple years left with a high pick, why do you think we could get a high pick for Tony G.?

If you can name one free agent of any worth who's willing to sign with KC to play for our head coach (all money being equal), I'll buy you a coke. Players see Edwards as a nice guy and soft touch. Not as a good coach. Otherwise, you wouldn't see every quality Chief in his prime trying to leave, and people retiring rather than play for him.

You develop a team for long term success by having:

1) A franchise QB
    2) A good OL
    3) A good DL
    4) A good coach
    5) A good GM

Those are the five things every rebuilding team needs. They are the five things EVERY successful team has. Atlanta now has them. Miami now has them. The Chiefs don't have ANY OF THEM. That's why the other two are rebuilding and the Chiefs aren't.
    Last edited by jmlamerson; 10-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I wonder if you really believe what you write? You're qualifications are pathetic, and you don't seem to realize it. A founding member of websites? Commentaries? Big deal. No one cares. No one has any reason to care. They say a thousand chimps with a thousand typewriters would type the works of Shakespeare. One chimp with one typewriter could type the works of texaschief.

yawn

Richardson left for the same reason Tony wants out - they can't stand playing for a lousy coach/GM. Wilkerson would be our best defensive lineman right now. Mitchell was integral part of a SB winning team and is lighting it up in Buffalo. It was a terrible move to let him go in favor of the Williams/Thomas/Napo trifecta.

So, you think the Giants wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without Mitchell? LMAO. Whatever dude.

An acronym isn't the same as an argument. On what teams could any of the people I listed as busts actually start for?

If you need safeties, TEs, and RBs as insurance for injury, you sign cheap FAs. TEs, RBs, and Ss are the most replaceable players on the team. You don't draft them in the 3rd round when you have glaring holes at key positions. That's the difference between a good GM and a bad one.

safeties and TE's are easy to replace cheaply and effectively, huh? lol

You're missing the point on Cottam (and by extension Morgan and Charles). I'll simplify this:

Cottam was signed by the Chiefs from 2008 to 2010.
    Cottam will not be a starting TE as long as Tony Gonzalez is starting.
    Tony Gonzales is intended to be the starting TE for the next few years (at least until 2010).
    The Chiefs refuse to trade Tony G.
    Cottam has little value until Tony is not longer starting.
    Cottam has little value as a pick.

TG will probably retire after '09. Cottam's contract is a rookie contract and will be extended before he gets to free agency. I'm getting bored with you. Could you at least pretend you know something about player development and the NFL before you start to ramble like this? good lord.

Is Tony worth more than a low 3rd? Yep. Are you going to get more than a low 3rd for him? Nope. Why draft a TE of the future and then hold onto the veteren in front of him, especially if you don't plan to be competitive for the remaining years the veteran has?
    This is your ignorance summed up all in one sentence. This line of thinking is EXACTLY why the Chiefs are in the hole their in. There is absolutely no foresight in the franchise. You don't wait until you have a hole, to fill it. You DEVELOP players behind All-Pro's and then, when those All-Pro's retire, your players are ready to step in. See LJ/Holmes, Rogers/Favre, Bledsoe/Brady... etc.

The Chiefs traded one first rounder and two second rounders for Trent Green and Patrick Surtain. Those were good trades for a team looking to win now. There isn't a successful team out there that hasn't made much, much worse picks/trades with high picks. Both were contributors to a 13-3 team that (unfortunately) flamed out in a puntless (both sides) game. The Colts punted in that game. Look it up. A penalty on the Chiefs gave the Colts a first down. I don't regret those trades for even a second.

And, by the way, if a team is stupid to trade for a veteran with only a couple years left with a high pick, why do you think we could get a high pick for Tony G.?

Other franchises aren't fu@#$%# stupid like the Carl Peterson Chiefs. That's my point. YOU DON'T TRADE HIGH DRAFT PICKS FOR PLAYERS WHO ARE ABOUT TO RETIRE!!!! HELLLLOOOOO!!!! So, obviously, Gonzo has more value to the Chiefs as a player than a bargaining chip... SO.... YOU KEEP HIM. It doesn't matter if you have a highly regarded rookie or not.

If you can name one free agent of any worth who's willing to sign with KC to play for our head coach (all money being equal), I'll buy you a coke. Players see Edwards as a nice guy and soft touch. Not as a good coach. Otherwise, you wouldn't see every quality Chief in his prime trying to leave, and people retiring rather than play for him.

You develop a team for long term success by having:

1) A franchise QB- Don't have one
    2) A good OL- Building one because we haven't drafted ANY this ENTIRE DECADE
    3) A good DL- The Chiefs are developing one. it takes time.
    4) A good coach- I've seen Herm coach ONE year with a solid, consistent QB. So, until i see him coach with a healthy QB, I'm reserving judgement.
    5) A good GM- We need one

Those are the five things every rebuilding team needs. They are the five things EVERY successful team has. Atlanta now has them. Miami now has them. The Chiefs don't have ANY OF THEM. That's why the other two are rebuilding and the Chiefs aren't.
    Atlanta has a QB
    Miami has a QB
    Cinci-Hurt QB
    St. Louis-LOL no QB
    KC- no QB
    Detroit-no QB
    SF- no QB

Maybe it's just me... but i see a pattern here. Maybe it's not ALL coaching... huh?

Atlanta has a QB
    Miami has a QB
    Cinci-Hurt QB
    St. Louis-LOL no QB
    KC- no QB
    Detroit-no QB
    SF- no QB

Maybe it's just me... but i see a pattern here. Maybe it's not ALL coaching... huh?
    St. Louis has Bulger as it's QB of the present. They are a perfect example of a team held back by a coach. Watch them finish 7-9 with hope for next year bcause Haslett's coachin now.

Look at Miami. Are they respectable just because of Chad "Noodle Arm" Pennington? No. They are using him to prep Henne. They are winning because they got a real coach, a real GM, and rebuilt their lines.

Look at Atlanta and Baltimore. Both have rookie QBs. both are respectable because they have good coaches, GMs, and have rebuilt their lines.

Neither the Lions nor SF have a good coach (Singletery may turn out to be good), GM, OL, DL, or QB. That's my point.

Look at Chicago, where good lines and a good coach are making Kyle Orton look very good.

Look at MN, which is winning despite it's lousy QB play, because of their great lines.

The Chiefs aren't losing just because they lack a QB. They're losing because they lack talent in almost every vital spot on the lines and in management.

One last thing on Tony G. He will retire or be traded for less than a 3rd in the offseason. He is not playing for the Chiefs in 2009. Everyone who was against the trade will look like an idiot.

And you still have yet to say what player I referenced as a bust could start elsewhere in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Canada, your not classified as "mentally disabled".

Your just classified as .....um, whats the technical term?..........oh yeah..."drunk."
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

St. Louis has Bulger as it's QB of the present. They are a perfect example of a team held back by a coach. Watch them finish 7-9 with hope for next year bcause Haslett's coachin now.

Trent Green is their "QB of the future?" Bulger has been benched.

Look at Miami. Are they respectable just because of Chad "Noodle Arm" Pennington? No. They are using him to prep Henne. They are winning because they got a real coach, a real GM, and rebuilt their lines.

So, it's ok to use a player to "prep" another player or not? come on man, pick one side of the fence and stick with it. You think Miami would be this far along if Beck were at the helm like he was last year? How bout Lemon?

Look at Atlanta and Baltimore. Both have rookie QBs. both are respectable because they have good coaches, GMs, and have rebuilt their lines.

Baltimore has a good-great defense... THAT'S why they're "respectable." They're currently ranked #2 in the league in TOTAL DEFENSE. BTW, they're also ranked #5 in rushing offense. (usually a good combo) But, you go off the deep end and consider John Harbaugh a "real coach" who has coached them to their winning record. It had NOTHING to do with the coach that was there before him, right?

Atlanta ALREADY had a good team in place before Ryan came in. Go back a season. The Falcons were picked to contend for the Super Bowl before Vick had his episodes. Neither the Falcons nor Ravens can be compared to the Chiefs. btw, what has Mike Smith done during his career that makes you consider him a "real" coach?

The ONLY team who could be compared to the Chiefs right now is the Dolphins. They decided to build thru the draft, just like the Chiefs. The difference between the two teams is the QB spot. Sporano is a "real coach" in your opinion too, huh?

Neither the Lions nor SF have a good coach (Singletery may turn out to be good), GM, OL, DL, or QB. That's my point.

Look at Chicago, where good lines and a good coach are making Kyle Orton look very good.

Tell me, did Chicago build that team thru free agency or did they go ahead and build thru the draft? Do you REALLY think Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards are different coaches? Hell, throw Dungie in there as well. Those three coaches are exactly identicle. They all want to build thru the draft. It just takes time for these players to develop. Look how long its taken the Bears to get where they are. They had a great year two years ago, but they're still around. They have a good, young team that was built thru the draft. The Bears, Patriots, Chargers and Colts are EXACTLY the model this franchise is trying to follow. Again, it just takes time.

Look at MN, which is winning despite it's lousy QB play, because of their great lines.

Minnesota? They might have a good offensive line, but their defensive line is statistically worse than the Chiefs... so.... try again.

The Chiefs aren't losing just because they lack a QB. They're losing because they lack talent in almost every vital spot on the lines and in management.

says you. I DEFINITELY wouldn't take your word for it. ESPECIALLY after looking at your draft evaluations.

One last thing on Tony G. He will retire or be traded for less than a 3rd in the offseason. He is not playing for the Chiefs in 2009. Everyone who was against the trade will look like an idiot.

I wasn't against it. I suggested trading him before the season started. You'd know if you had been here for more than a week. I'm just not dumb enough to suggest/settle trading him for less than his worth.

And you still have yet to say what player I referenced as a bust could start elsewhere in the NFL.
    Without going back and looking at your list, here's a couple off the top of my head:
    Hali would be a starter.
    Page would be a starter.
    Kolby Smith would be a starter.

Your analysis of these players is slanted. If these young players were on other teams, they would be "stuck" behind other players, getting no experience. The problem you have with the Chiefs drafting Cottam and not trading TG, applies to these players who "wouldn't even start for another NFL team." Again, playing both sides of the fence.

The reason not many of these young players would start for other teams is the SAME reason Cottam doesn't start for the Chiefs. They would be learning behind more experienced and developed players. You sound like you expect these 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players to be playing like Pro Bowl caliber players straight out of college. That's just not a reasonable expectation.

Not EVERYONE is a Shawn Merriman.

Without going back and looking at your list, here's a couple off the top of my head:
    Hali would be a starter.
    Page would be a starter.

Your analysis of these players is slanted. If these young players were on other teams, they would be "stuck" behind other players, getting no experience. The problem you have with the Chiefs drafting Cottam and not trading TG, applies to these players who "wouldn't even start for another NFL team." Again, playing both sides of the fence.

The reason not many of these young players would start for other teams is the SAME reason Cottam doesn't start for the Chiefs. They would be learning behind more experienced and developed players. You sound like you expect these 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players to be playing like Pro Bowl caliber players straight out of college. That's just not a reasonable expectation.

I'll answer the rest of this later, but the proof of your absoulte ignorance of football is your statement that:

You do not know what you are talking about. Linehan benched Bulger, lost with Green, and was fired. Haslett reinstated Bulger as the starter, and they're 2-1 since. Try to actually watch the games instead of just commenting on them.

Texas Chiefs-Herm sucks, give him Tom Brady and he'd find a way to lose. What more do you need to see from this guy. I understand you want to be optimistic and look to the future, but Herm isn't the answer. Great DB coach, scout, but HC he is not.

I'll answer the rest of this later, but the proof of your absoulte ignorance of football is your statement that:

You do not know what you are talking about. Linehan benched Bulger, lost with Green, and was fired. Haslett reinstated Bulger as the starter, and they're 2-1 since. Try to actually watch the games instead of just commenting on them.
    You're right. I wish we had 31 year old Bulger with his 79.5 passer rating to build on as our "QB of the future." The fact this guy was benched for T. Green should be enough to prove this guy is FAAAAAR from a franchise QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Grbac View Post
    That Lamerson dude gets pounded on by everybody.He just doesn't make any sense at all.
    Haven't you ever noticed that you are easily considered the least respected member of this board?

Have a look at your 'Rep'. That really tells the story, and I don't think I have ever even given you neg-rep. That has been the rest of the site.

How old are you? Ten? Twelve?

Your point about Croyle is a bad one, and you should feel bad about it.

No one is making you post. Perhaps you should sit down, learn to read and write, watch some football games, and then come back and post more. You are doing no one any good right now, except me, who enjoys tearing you apart.
    I never even bother with posts from Grbac, as it is just way too far-fetched to be a real opinion.

You're right. I wish we had 31 year old Bulger with his 79.5 passer rating to build on as our "QB of the future." The fact this guy was benched for T. Green should be enough to prove this guy is FAAAAAR from a franchise QB.
    87.5 for his career. I'm just sayin'.

Peyton Manning currently has a passerr rating of 79 for the season. I'm just sayin'.

And showing that there were great picks that could have been used in place of getting Green and Roaf is futile.

But, if you want to, let's compare every pick that Herm took ahead of Jared Allen and Tom Brady, and say that he is a horrible talent evaluator.

My value for a 1st and a 2nd is gonna be a vague guess at the avreage production from them. Not the best possible pick that could have been made.

Anyway, (DT) Damione Lewis < http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...LAhOQzGnX.uLYF > is the player that was drafted with the Green-swap pick. And The Chiefs also gained a 5th round pick, which they used to select (HB)Derrick Blaylock. < http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...LAhOQzGnX.uLYF >

Looking at it like that, I'd say we did exceptionally well with that pick. You?

And the 4th round pick that went for Roaf was used to select (G) Montrae Holland < http://www.nfl.com/players/montraeho...e?id=HOL154433 >

I'd also say that we got the better end of that deal.

Trade compensation sources:
    http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2002/03...t_willie_roaf/
    http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2001/04...lmes__wr_horne
    Last edited by chief31; 10-31-2008 at 04:05 AM.

So, it's ok to use a player to "prep" another player or not? come on man, pick one side of the fence and stick with it. You think Miami would be this far along if Beck were at the helm like he was last year? How bout Lemon?

Baltimore has a good-great defense... THAT'S why they're "respectable." They're currently ranked #2 in the league in TOTAL DEFENSE. BTW, they're also ranked #5 in rushing offense. (usually a good combo) But, you go off the deep end and consider John Harbaugh a "real coach" who has coached them to their winning record. It had NOTHING to do with the coach that was there before him, right?

Atlanta ALREADY had a good team in place before Ryan came in. Go back a season. The Falcons were picked to contend for the Super Bowl before Vick had his episodes. Neither the Falcons nor Ravens can be compared to the Chiefs. btw, what has Mike Smith done during his career that makes you consider him a "real" coach?

The ONLY team who could be compared to the Chiefs right now is the Dolphins. They decided to build thru the draft, just like the Chiefs. The difference between the two teams is the QB spot. Sporano is a "real coach" in your opinion too, huh?

Tell me, did Chicago build that team thru free agency or did they go ahead and build thru the draft? Do you REALLY think Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards are different coaches? Hell, throw Dungie in there as well. Those three coaches are exactly identicle. They all want to build thru the draft. It just takes time for these players to develop. Look how long its taken the Bears to get where they are. They had a great year two years ago, but they're still around. They have a good, young team that was built thru the draft. The Bears, Patriots, Chargers and Colts are EXACTLY the model this franchise is trying to follow. Again, it just takes time.

Minnesota? They might have a good offensive line, but their defensive line is statistically worse than the Chiefs... so.... try again.

says you. I DEFINITELY wouldn't take your word for it. ESPECIALLY after looking at your draft evaluations.

I wasn't against it. I suggested trading him before the season started. You'd know if you had been here for more than a week. I'm just not dumb enough to suggest/settle trading him for less than his worth.

Hali would be a starter.
    Page would be a starter.

OK, going through these one by one, just to put the final nails in your coffin:

1. Just be a man and admit you were wrong about Bulger. Linehan was fired for benching him.

2. What are you talking about, with regards to Miami? Pennington is an upgrade over Beck or Lemon (who isn't). He's still not a franchise (or top 15) QB. He'll be only playing for them for 2-3 years. His job is to keep Miami competitive and to tutor Beck. He's not their franchise QB.

It's fine to prep a player. In fact, everything being equal that would be ideal. It isn't OK to draft a guy in the third round in a position you're glutted in when you have massive holes in the OL.

3. Your points on Atlanta and Miami are poorly thought out.

Atlanta was not considered a championship caliber team before Vick's incarceration. They were a 3-13 team last year. They turned it around because they got a real coach and GM, got a franchise QB, signed a hard working young RB, and drafted their lines.

Mike Smith was an excellent coordinator who has the Falcons overachieving. He looks like he'll be a great head coach. Am I ready to anoint him the next Bill Walsh? No. Would I rather have him (or John Harbaugh) than Herm Edwards? Absolutely.

As for the Ravens, their D is good because they have consistently drafted good linemen (Ngata, Suggs, etc.). Their offense is usually their weakest spot, but their OL is keeping their new franchise QB upright. They have a great GM and Harbaugh looks like the real deal at coach. They have rebuilt in exactly the way the chiefs should have - draft lines, sign a good coach, and pick a franchise QB who can stand a NFL hit.

3. Chicago built its team through the draft and through FA. Indy built its team mostly through the draft, I'll fully admit. But when you have geniuses like Bill Polian/Tony Dungy drafting, you can do that. Tony Dungy is smart enough to leave his offense in capable hands (they don't play Dungyball). He drafts OL and DL constantly in the first three rounds. Herm and Carl draft TEs, Ss, and RBs in the first three rounds. They don't have the drafting abilities to build through the draft.

And if you think Herm Edwards is a tenth as good as Tony Dungy or Lovie Smith as a coach, you know less than I thought you did. Dungy is the greatest defensive coach of the modern era. Lovie is in the top 5. Herm's defense is as bad a Vermeil's.

4. If I wanted proof of your complete lack of knowledge about football, here it is:

In what statistical area is the Vikings DL worse than the Chiefs DL? The Vikings DL has more tackles and sacks. The Vikings are 2nd in the league against the run.

Are you only ignorant, or did you just think no one would question this lie?

6. Why are you being dense about the Tony G. situation? We will not have Tony G. as a TE in 2009. He will retire or demand a trade. We will get less than the third we were offered in the middle of the season. We have no chance of winning this year. Cottam is supposed to be our TE of the future. How does it make sense to keep Tony?

If you don't understand this, you may want to get a CAT scan.

7. Where in this league would Tamba Hali, Page, or Smith start? I noticed you couldn't name a team. Nowhere, that is the answer.

Look, a 1st to 3rd year players doesn't need to play like a Pro Bowler to be legitimate starters. However, after watching a player for two to three years, you are usually able to determine whether that player will turn into a legitimate starter.

After two to three years of watching Page, Hali, and Smith start, I can say definitively that not only are they not Pro Bowl players, they are in the bottom 10% of players at their position in the NFL, and they do not show enough talent that I think they will improve upon that.

When you have a team with a lot of talent, like the Pats or Cowboys, you can draft for depth and bring players along slowly. When you have an average team, like the Eagles or Broncos, you use your early picks to fill needs, and then you draft for depth in the later rounds to bring around slowly. When you have a bad team, like the Chiefs or Lions, you draft people you think can help you now, and you sign FAs to fill in the most pressing gaps.

The Chiefs drafted like a great team instead of a bad one. Which is why they're a worse team than they were last year.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast