Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Herm know how to evaluate talent, Looking at 2006 draft and FA

Default Does Herm know how to evaluate talent, Looking at 2006 draft and FA

Many people including myself have said that Herm is not a very HC but a great Scout.

Without making excuses or pointing blame at anyone else like DV, lets look at what Herm has done.

Everyone says you can't evaluate a draft effectively until after the first 3 years when the player have developed. So lets look at Herm's evaluation.

1. 20th pick Tamba Hali - Maybe moving him back to the otherside may help his career but he is certainly dissapointing this year. Teams are killing us by running at him and he is getting zero pressure. Based on his performance in year three this is a bust of a pick.

2. 54th pick Bernarnd Pollard - Great special teams player. Like to hit but won't wrap up creating many missed tackles. He is very poor in pass coverage. At this time, I would make him a low end Starter but high end back up. Not a bust, but not a great pick.

3. 85th Brodie Croyle - Hasn't won a game, can't finish a game. Huge Bust.

5. 154 Marcus Maxey - First CB Herm drafted for the team. Didn't even make the team. Huge bust.

6. 186 Tre Stallings. Did see him play to make judgement but since he is not on roster - Huge Bust

6. 190 Jeff Webb. - I don't know yet. The fact that they signed Devard Darling and keep playing him over Webb isn't good. Specially since Darling is horrible. - Bust

7. Jarrad Page - he compliments Pollard in the fact that he can cover, but he is even worse at tackling and can't support the run at all. Not a bust but not oustanding either.

Based on Herms first draft as a Chief. I can't see any argument to support the theory that he is a good at evaluating talent. Add in the horrific Free Agent Signing and I would give Herm a big fat F on the players that he has brought in his first year.

While it is not fair to grade his second year draft yet, there are really only two players that I would want to draft again and that is Bowe and Kolby Smith. Te free agents he signed was still horrific.

Any excuse that this team is in shambles becuase of DV has gone out the window in my opinion. Herm has plenty of fault as stated above.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Hey fellas. Thanks for the kind words. You never know when you post on a forum how it will be received. You have a good forum here and the fans have to keep the heat on the management to get anything done. Even at that I don't know if they care what any fan thinks. It may take the entire team imploding to get the attention of the owner. Rock on guys.
    Welcome to the forums! I agree except that the defense would be much better if Herm would let Gunther do what he wants to do! Gunther has proven himself before wherever he has been. I also think that the media will see that Gun's hands are tied to a point and prob hasnt gotten the respect he deserves in the draft room.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I agree except that the defense would be much better if Herm would let Gunther do what he wants to do! Gunther has proven himself before wherever he has been. I also think that the media will see that Gun's hands are tied to a point and prob hasnt gotten the respect he deserves in the draft room.
    Gunther had a good defense when he had great talent.

DT, Neil Smith, Dale Carter, James Hasty, Dan Salameau, Joe Phillips, Tracy Simien, Mark Collins, Jerome Woods, Reggie Tongue.

I knew when we re-hired Gunther he would fail. We just didn't have the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

DT, Neil Smith, Dale Carter, James Hasty, Dan Salameau, Joe Phillips, Tracy Simien, Mark Collins, Jerome Woods, Reggie Tongue.

As I was saying...when he had the respect to place his own defense and had some respect in the draft room where they actually listened to him

As I was saying...when he had the respect to place his own defense and had some respect in the draft room where they actually listened to him
    I don't think his defense was all that good when he was HC. He was pretty much middle of the pack.

I don't think his defense was all that good when he was HC. He was pretty much middle of the pack.
    I agree with you on that 1, he didnt have the best D. He also had to look at the entire team though. Why cant we get a coach that will let the coordinators coach their side of the ball and mostly stay out of the planning? Marty is a more defensive minded coach but mainly let Gunther have his say. Vermiel is a more offensive minded coach but let Saunders have his say. They both had a voice in the draft room and in the free agency. All im saying is that Gunther is not being able to implement his own defense. Herm told Gunther, here is the defense, this is what we are going to run since this worked for us back in Tampa almost 10 years ago. I just think the HC, DC, OC, SP and GM all have a say, not just the GM and HC.

Ahhh why did you have to list those guys now I am sad at all the talent this team used to have :(. But even though Gunther may be failing right now as DC I do not think it is because of him but rather the lack of talent on the defense.

I agree with you on that 1, he didnt have the best D. He also had to look at the entire team though. Why cant we get a coach that will let the coordinators coach their side of the ball and mostly stay out of the planning? Marty is a more defensive minded coach but mainly let Gunther have his say. Vermiel is a more offensive minded coach but let Saunders have his say. They both had a voice in the draft room and in the free agency. All im saying is that Gunther is not being able to implement his own defense. Herm told Gunther, here is the defense, this is what we are going to run since this worked for us back in Tampa almost 10 years ago. I just think the HC, DC, OC, SP and GM all have a say, not just the GM and HC.
    I agree with this for the most part but the HC does have to tell the DC that here is my overall plan for the defense. Make it happen and create your defense around these base fundementals. That is how it should be you cannot have a DC coming in with thier own agenda and just give them free rein they have to flow with the HC's overall plan but you also have to make sure you give the DC the flexibilty to accomplish that and I do not think that is happening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12