Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn Gray

Default Quinn Gray

I actually like this guy. I remember him playing for a less than mediocre Jacksonville team in 2006 after Leftwich went down. I think the Jags were down by two or three touchdowns in the 4th quarter and it took a great defensive stand by the Chiefs to win that game and ultimately make the playoffs because of the win.

Last spring, I suggested the Chiefs sign this guy to replace Huard as the primary backup because of the system the Chiefs were putting in place for a scrambling QB. This is DEFINITELY a step forward at the QB spot. Neither Huard nor Thigpen are the answers for the rest of the season. At least the front office acknowledges this.

I'm excited to see him in a couple weeks.

Quinn Gray
    (6-3, 254) played in 11 games with four starts in three seasons with Jacksonville (2003-07). He completed 101 of 180 passes for 1,252 yards with 12 TDs and five INTs for an 88.5 rating in addition to rushing 24 times for 84 yards (3.5 avg.) with two TDs. In his lone appearance at Kansas City (12/31/06), Gray connected on 13 of 22 throws for 166 yards and rushed two times for 26 yards with a pair of touchdowns in a relief role for the Jaguars. The Ft. Lauderdale, Florida native originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Jacksonville in 2002. Gray attended training camp with Indianapolis in 2008, but was released prior to the regular season.

The Florida A&M product played in 39 games for the Rattlers, finishing his collegiate career with 7,368 passing yards and 57 TDs. Gray earned all-district and all-region as a senior at Dillard High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

I'm looking forward to giving him a shot. If he doesn't work out, we really haven't lost anything but I've seen him play and he could prove to be a lot more than just the band-aid we though he would be.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I'm looking forward to giving him a shot. If he doesn't work out, we really haven't lost anything but I've seen him play and he could prove to be a lot more than just the band-aid we though he would be.
    i agree.

It is good that we are getting in a QB with a bit more exp than Thigpen. However he isn't going to be ready to play anytime soon as starter so we are gonna get a real good look at Thigpen. Also this still changes nothing as far as our QB goes we still have to go out next year and get a starting QB either through free agency or the draft. It is time this team finally learns the concept of signing a "Franchise" QB and not some perrenial journeyman.

I'm just trying to figure out why Indianapolis released him. I know that he had no chance at winning the starting spot, but to not even keep a backup role? Seems weird to me.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out why Indianapolis released him. I know that he had no chance at winning the starting spot, but to not even keep a backup role? Seems weird to me.
    He didn't have a very good preseason with the Colts. His biggest problem is he sometimes makes bad decisions with the football. If he can be cured of that, Quinn may be able to develop into a starter or, at least, a very reliable back-up.

Gray has the ability to put this organization in even a deeper hole by the end of this season by playing at a high level. If Gray does a good to great job, I could see the Chiefs passing on a QB in the draft. I don't think they've given up on Croyle yet and if Gray plays really well as a "stop gap," the Chiefs might wait one more year to take a QB.

This would be a huge mistake. I would like to see Gray succeed, but I just hope he doesn't play SO well that the Chiefs think they're ok at QB going into the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Gray has the ability to put this organization in even a deeper hole by the end of this season by playing at a high level. If Gray does a good to great job, I could see the Chiefs passing on a QB in the draft. I don't think they've given up on Croyle yet and if Gray plays really well as a "stop gap," the Chiefs might wait one more year to take a QB.

This would be a huge mistake. I would like to see Gray succeed, but I just hope he doesn't play SO well that the Chiefs think they're ok at QB going into the draft.
    Ideally, I would like to see Quinn play well enough for the Chiefs to allow him to compete for the starting job next year against the QB we draft (yes, still draft a QB even in Quinn tears it up). If the guy we get wins the job from Quinn Gray in camp and the preseason, and seems like he is mature enough to throw in the fire, then let him go. If not, and if Quinn performs well enough to warrant it, let him start while the new guy learns and develops.

Regardless of what happens, Brodie should be done as a Chief, period. Personally, I don't want to see him back on the roster in any capacity. I hate seeing him get hurt like that and wish nothing but the best for him and his family but it's obvious now that he can't do the job. Having him as a back-up basically means that your 3rd string is your true back-up. Honestly, why waste the roster spot? Brodie may be better served to pursue a career in coaching high school football or returning to Alabama in some capacity (maybe eventually a QB coach or something, like Josh Heipel did in Oklahoma).
    Last edited by m0ef0e; 10-22-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Ideally, I would like to see Quinn play well enough for the Chiefs to allow him to compete for the starting job next year against the QB we draft (yes, still draft a QB even in Quinn tears it up). If the guy we get wins the job from Quinn Gray in camp and the preseason, and seems like he is mature enough to throw in the fire, then let him go. If not, and if Quinn performs well enough to warrant it, let him start while the new guy learns and develops.

Regardless of what happens, Brodie should be done as a Chief, period. Personally, I don't want to see him back on the roster in any capacity. I hate seeing him get hurt like that and wish nothing but the best for him and his family but it's obvious now that he can't do the job. Having him as a back-up basically means that your 3rd string is your true back-up. Honestly, why waste the roster spot? Brodie may be better served to pursue a career in coaching high school football or returning to Alabama in some capacity (maybe eventually a QB coach or something, like Josh Heipel did in Oklahoma).
    Frankly, if Herm is still at the helm, I would rather struggle through the quarterback spot and draft a different player. Certainly I would not be drafting a quarterback in the first round. I have not heard or seen anything out of this current crop of QBs that would make me think any of them are NFL 1st round material. I might change my mind at the end of the year.

At best, a a second rounder, or even a third rounder could be good enough. I just don't think our current coaching staff has the ability to bring in a young quarterback and get them to a point they can succeed.

Ditto
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast