Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is going on in the nfl

Default what is going on in the nfl

all of this going on in one year manning staph infection winslow staph infection for the second time, santonio holmes busted for pot,jaguars lineman being shot,pacman jones suspended again,brady gone for the year,favre allegedly leaking info to the lions,johnson alledgedly beating woman ,burress getting suspended,mccalister and 10-15 others busted for some kind of substance abuse,3 coaches fired in the first 7 weeks and i am sure there is a bunch more i am forgetting i wonder how goodell fills about all of this

Yeah not like it used to be. Not that it didn't go on in the past but the stars when I was a kid (eg. Dawson, Staubach, Harris, Swann, Tarkenton, Foreman) behaved themselves. Course OJ was in that era and little did we know at that time what a villain he would be!

Things lost control when these guys started making millions in their early 20's. I shudder to think what I would have done at 24 years old with a multi million dollar football career. I agree with ILTC that most of those guys mentioned were good guys but there are still good guys in the league today (Brian Waters, Favre, Brady, Manning, Ronde Barber etc...) I think it is the fact that the media would rather waste my time telling me about some 25 year old who smoked a joint or got in a bar fight. Big deal!! Every generation in football has had its good guys and its thugs. Its just that today those thugs are millionaires.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by IlovetheChiefs View Post
    Yeah not like it used to be. Not that it didn't go on in the past but the stars when I was a kid (eg. Dawson, Staubach, Harris, Swann, Tarkenton, Foreman) behaved themselves. Course OJ was in that era and little did we know at that time what a villain he would be!
    I think a big part of it is the press. The press in the 60's was nothing like it is now.

Another aspect is that players are now 'celebs' and not 'good ole boys'. In the 60's and 70's, if an officer pulled-over the local sports hero, he was treated like a god.

But I think Canada hit on the biggest issue, with young men that often come from nothing getting these huge paydays.

It is similar to the preachers daughter stigma. Cage them, and they will run wild once they get loose. Take a young man who has never had money in their life, and add these huge amounts, and they kinda cut loose.

Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think a big part of it is the press. The press in the 60's was nothing like it is now.

But I think Canada hit on the biggest issue, with young men that often come from nothing getting these huge paydays.
    Yes the money and press I think are both good points for contributing reasons. It's like in politics too. It seems like politicians are sleazier and more corrupt than ever (and probably are actually!) but the media today and the internet age also make more things easier to come out to the public. I'm sure some of the lies and smut in the past just wasn't major enough to include in the half hour Walter Cronkite evening news.

And the ever increasing money in politics likewise can breed corruption and abuses of power.

Quote Originally Posted by IlovetheChiefs View Post
    Yes the money and press I think are both good points for contributing reasons. It's like in politics too. It seems like politicians are sleazier and more corrupt than ever (and probably are actually!) but the media today and the internet age also make more things easier to come out to the public. I'm sure some of the lies and smut in the past just wasn't major enough to include in the half hour Walter Cronkite evening news.

And the ever increasing money in politics likewise can breed corruption and abuses of power.
    Yup. It's like Barry Bonds Vs Babe Ruth. Bonds has all sorts of press digging through his personal and professional affairs, and exposing every little secret. Whereas Ruth was rumored to be quite a pr**k himself, but his dirty laundry wasn't aired in the same way.

End result? Babe Ruth - American sports hero. Barry Bonds - Eternal 'heel'.

I'm not defending Bonds, but I doubt that he is the worste person to play that game.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yup. It's like Barry Bonds Vs Babe Ruth. Bonds has all sorts of press digging through his personal and professional affairs, and exposing every little secret. Whereas Ruth was rumored to be quite a pr**k himself, but his dirty laundry wasn't aired in the same way.

End result? Babe Ruth - American sports hero. Barry Bonds - Eternal 'heel'.

I'm not defending Bonds, but I doubt that he is the worste person to play that game.
    no hes not that would be canseco i agree with pretty much everything everyone has said i wonder with that has gone on in the last few weeks that ljs suspension could be a little stiffer

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

What is wrong with the NFL and all other major sports is todays community. Back in the 60's, 70's and even most of the 80's no one cared if a star player went out on a binder and got drunk maybe even high. They were looked at at icons in a community and now a days they are looked at as spoile brats. Len Dawson didnt get paid millions a year since that wasnt what people got paid back then. LJ gets a what, 46 mil contract at age? 26-27? Hes set! The ones earlier worked for their play. Now it seems we work for their play!

set/fixed rookie contracts are in order!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast