Thread: tamba switched

Default tamba switched

Chiefs' end run bolsters defense

BY ADAM TEICHER

Kansas City Star

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansas.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "photo", "resizable=1,height=" +sHeight+ ",width=" +sWidth); }
    Today's most-viewed stories

From the very start, Tamba Hali never looked comfortable in his role as the next Jared Allen. He struggled with the expectations and generally looked out of place at his new position as the right defensive end.
    So it was no surprise that Hali had his best game of the season against the Jets after the Chiefs returned him to his more natural position as the left end. He had a sack, his first of the season, and a couple of other pressures on Jets quarterback Brett Favre.
    The Chiefs appear pleased enough with those results that Hali will stay on the left side for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay at Arrowhead Stadium. Turk McBride is now the right end.
    In the short term, the Chiefs might benefit, as they did against New York. In the bigger picture, it's an acknowledgement that Hali won't turn into the big-time pass rusher the Chiefs hoped he could become.
    The right end is usually a team's featured pass rusher because he attacks the quarterback from his blind side.
    "I don't feel like I was replacing Jared," Hali said after practice Wednesday. "He was a great, great player. I was just switching sides.
    "But when he was here, we stopped the run on the left side and we sacked the quarterback on the right side. Now he's not here and we're not stopping the run on the left side, so I've got to come back to help our team do that.
    "I did feel comfortable there, but the other team, they're running the ball to their right side. So me, being on the (defense's) right side, you don't get many run plays. Then you've got to chase and you don't get to make a lot of plays. Being on the left side, you play the run a lot more. You're right there."
    In truth, the Hali-McBride switch is aimed at both players. The Chiefs wanted more pass rush from Hali but also didn't think McBride was doing his part to help the run.
    "It's not a big deal, but it is an adjustment that we both have to deal with," McBride said. "Tamba is more comfortable on that side, so the coaches made this decision. We're just trying to figure out who plays where the best."
    The Chiefs have more invested in Hali, who as their first-round draft pick in 2006 led the team in sacks with eight, or a half-sack more than Allen.
    Allen then had his breakout season last year when he led the NFL with 15 ½ sacks.
    Hali's 7 ½ sacks seemed puny in comparison, but when Allen forced his trade to Minnesota, the Chiefs shifted Hali into the featured rusher spot.
    The Chiefs have given up on that idea for now, though Hali might occasionally rush from right end during obvious passing situations. They also could return him to right end next season.
    Certainly, they will need to find a pass rusher somewhere because McBride doesn't look like the long-term solution.
    "He feels more comfortable there," coach Herm Edwards said of Hali. "He feels at home there. He was there for two years. He was excited to be back over there."
    "You're not always right in your evaluations in terms of where a guy's going to play. But I'll tell you this: (Hali is) a good player. Those are the kinds of guys we're looking for, whether he plays right end or left."

I thought Hali looked much better back at left de.

Oh My God; has it really happened?

A sound decision???

Ladies and gentlemen, PLEASE excuse me for a moment!!!!

( sound of buttons being pushed in the background )

"Hello Ripley's"? "Oh yeah; I definitely have one for ya"...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I thought Hali looked much better back at left de.
    as did i i hope it can start a spark in him

He really did have a great game against The Jets. They said it was one sack and a couple of 'pressures', but along with the one sack, he actually caused two of Favres INTs, by getting contact with Favres throwing arm.

That might have been the best game of his career.

But, even with that, I am still surprised to see this decision being made. It is just too logical for what this team has been doing the past few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    He really did have a great game against The Jets. They said it was one sack and a couple of 'pressures', but along with the one sack, he actually caused two of Favres INTs, by getting contact with Favres throwing arm.

But, even with that, I am still surprised to see this decision being made. It is just too logical for what this team has been doing the past few seasons.

I've just received word that a Body Snatcher Pod was found by maintenance in the lower levels of the stadium this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    [/b]
    I've just received word that a Body Snatcher Pod was found by maintenance in the lower levels of the stadium this morning.
    That would explain alot.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

After I posted this last night, I went back and watched the game again. And you're exactly right on Hali causing the INT's. Both of the 1st half interceptions were caused by pressure created by Hali. In less exciting news, Dorsey looked very average. At least there was a legitimate pass rush last week. There were several plays where the Chiefs front seven forced Brett to make a quick decision.
    Last edited by Coach; 11-01-2008 at 01:26 AM.