Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to fix the Chiefs (revised)

Default How to fix the Chiefs (revised)

This is my revised checklist of how to fix the Chiefs, given everything we've seen over the first half of the season. I've incorporated the (regrettable) fact that Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson will probably not be fired.

1. Draft offense, not defense.

Chan Gailey has the offense vastly overachieving. However, they are tiring out, especially on the o-line, in the second half. Our defense is underachieving, and is miserably coached. We need to draft young talent for an improving offense and sign in free agency established talent on a crumbling defense.

Draft, assuming no trades:

RT
    QB
    RG
    C
    RB
    LG
    WR

We need to draft a QB high. We need to sit him behind Thigpen for a year or two. If Thigpen turns out to be a great QB, then we have a wonderful problem of QB competition in 2009-2010. If Thigpen turns out not to be the guy, then we don't have to start from scratch in 2009-2010.

As for the LG, Waters won't play much longer, so draft his replacement now. The RT, RG, and C we draft should start immediately. We'll need a big RB in the later rounds as Charles isn't an every down back, Kolby's an injury risk, and LJ is as good as gone. Whatever WR we get in the last round will probably be better than Darling, Webb, Franklin, or the other WRs we've tried to start.

Let's fix what's fixable (the offense) through the draft. Don't waste those picks on defense.

2. Be very active in FA on defense.

With the exception of Brandon Flowers, there is not a single starting player on the defense that shouldn't be replaced. Carr is probably better served as a slot CB. I'll agree to wait and see on Pollard (SS) and DJ (LOLB). Dorsey is too high priced to do anything by wait and see. The rest need to go or be placed squarely in the backup positions.

Sign the following under-30 free agents:

LDE - Terrell Suggs
    1DT - Albert Haynesworth
    RDE - Julius Peppers
    MLB - Jonathan Vilma
    ROLB - Karlos Dansby
    1CB - Nnamdi Asomugha
    FS - Dawan Landry

We could make all of these the highest paid at their positions, and we'd still be under the cap next year, especially after step 3.

3. Cut people who need to be cut.

Boone, Surtain, Donnie Edwards, Page (who's a FA), MacIntosh, Albai Jones, Darling, Webb, Croyle, Huard (who will probably retire) and others who just haven't worked out need to be let go and chalked up to bad picks.

Which leads me to one guy seemingly left out for step 4.

4. Cut or trade LJ

I've come full circle on this. He's doing us no good either on or off the field. I don't think anyone will trade for his contract, so we'll probably have to cut him.

Blame Herm for running him into the ground.

5. Sign Thigpen and Bradley to extensions

Thigpen's better to tutor our draft pick QB than any free agency QB this year (it's a thin crop).

If he's a good enough QB to start (his second half malaises worry me), then we have a open competition between he and our draft pick in 2009 or 2010. If Thigpen's just a good backup, then we keep him as a backup and use him for gadget plays.

Either way, make sure everyone knows he's going to be a Chief long term.

As for Bradley, he's been a catalyst for this offense. Sign him long term and hope he and Bowe can remain a formidable tandem.

6. Convince Gonzalez and Waters not to retire.

Same as at the beginning of the season.

7. Fire Gunther

He was a good DC once upon a time. He's a liability now, and he and Herm don't mesh at all.

8. Abandon the Cover 2

We don't have the personnel or coaches for it.

I think if we follow these steps, we finally will be rebuilding, and not just deconstructing.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    Offense:
    QB: Thigpen, Harrell, Huard
    RB: Charles, Smith, Savage, Battle
    WR: Bowe, Crabtree, Bradley, Franklin
    TE: Gonzo, Cottam
    LT: Albert
    LG: Waters
    C: Niswanger
    RG: Draft/FA
    RT: Draft/FA

Defense:
    MLB: Spikes/Thomas
    ROLB: Johnson
    LOLB: Vilma
    DT: Tank, Dorsey
    DE: Peppers/Hali
    FS: Draft/FA
    SS: Pollard
    CB: Flowers, Carr, Draft

Damn that would be SOO much better then this year. What else would put butts in the stands more then the Thiggy/Bowe/Crabtree SHOW?????

OR hell just pick up T.J. Houshmandzadeh and draft that stud OL you all want.

LOL my brain hurts no with all the great possibilities we could have this Off season we just rly have to wait and see who we get in FA.

It's funny, because we all know that CP is gonna screw up this years FA and Draft picks SOOO bad this year because last years was just too good
    I posted it on another thread, but I don't think Crabtree should be our guy in the 1st. I thnk this draft can set our offense for the next five years. We don't have much longer with Waters, and I'm not Niswanger's, Albai's, or MacIntosh's biggest fan. If we draft a bunch of OL, instead of plugging in more rookies on a defense that badly needs experience, we will actually be building our offense for the future, instead of hoping that our patchwork offense holds together for another year.

IMO, the following should be our team after draft/FA:

Offense:
    QB: Thigpen, DRAFT PICK, Grey
    RB: Charles, DRAFT PICK, Savage, Smith
    WR: Bowe, Bradley, DRAFT PICK, FA
    TE: Gonzo, Cottam
    LT: Albert
    LG: Waters, DRAFT PICK (Waters will only play a season or two more)
    C: DRAFT PICK, Niswanger (battle it out in training camp)
    RG: DRAFT PICK
    RT: DRAFT PICK

This offense will grow together for the next few years. We'll actually be ahead of the curve on at least one side of the ball. As for defense,

Defense:
    MLB: Best FA
    ROLB: D. Johnson
    LOLB: Vilma or Dansby, whichever we can get on the team
    1DT: Best FA
    2DT: Dorsey
    LDE: Peppers
    RDE: Suggs
    FS: Best FA
    SS: Pollard
    1CB: Nnamdi Asomugha (overpay him, but get him here - my top FA I'd like on the Chiefs next year)
    2CB: Flowers
    3CB: Carr

We do not need any more rookies on our defense. I know some Herm-lovers disagree, but I have little faith in almost all of the personnel Herm has drafted for the defense (Carr and Flowers excluded). I don't want him drafting more rookies on defense. We'll (probably) be entering the 4th year of Herm Edwards next season. That's too long for him to keep complaining he hasn't had a chance to put his personnel in there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123