Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Props to the D-Line

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,112
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 139

    Default Props to the D-Line


    0 Not allowed!
    Did anybody notice the pressure on Rivers today. We actually got a sack too. And oh, yeah, we held them under 100 yards rushing!!! Maybe it is that the chargers suck this year, or maybe the D-line is finally sticking to their assignments.

    The LBs did a decent job today of filling the gaps too. No big runs allowed today. I am happy about that at least.

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,167
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I think the Chiefs gave a great effort, but the injuries are hard to overcome. We had guys playing today that I had never seen.


  3. #3
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think the Chiefs gave a great effort, but the injuries are hard to overcome. We had guys playing today that I had never seen.
    There are teams who have been hit by injuries a whole lot harder than the Chiefs. We shouldn't be accepting injuries as an excuse. Fans of good teams don't.

    We're in the position because our coach and GM are awful at personnel decisions.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,112
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 139

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. I think this is the first time since I started watching the Chiefs where there were starters and guys getting A LOT of playing time that I couldnt recognize their numbers and had no idea who they were.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,112
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 139

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    There are teams who have been hit by injuries a whole lot harder than the Chiefs. We shouldn't be accepting injuries as an excuse. Fans of good teams don't.

    We're in the position because our coach and GM are awful at personnel decisions.
    Im not saying you are wrong. But I do not know of any teams who had 3 defensive starters out for the whole game and lose 3 others for significant parts of the game. If there are, they are probably teams that have been together for awhile and are strong enough to miss a player here or there. We are neither right now. Its not an excuse, but an observation.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Im not saying you are wrong. But I do not know of any teams who had 3 defensive starters out for the whole game and lose 3 others for significant parts of the game. If there are, they are probably teams that have been together for awhile and are strong enough to miss a player here or there. We are neither right now. Its not an excuse, but an observation.
    I understand what you are saying. I do. Here's my problem. Herm Edwards was hired three years ago to build this team's defense. He has made absolutely no headway in doing so.

    Part of it is that he does not have anything resembling the personnel to run the Cover 2 he insists on running.

    Part of it is that the people he's drafted or signed haven't been very good.

    Part of it is that the people he's drafted or signed haven't been very durable.

    Part of it is that our good players who could have been cornerstones of the team (JA, Mitchell, Wilkerson) have been let go or traded.

    Part of it is that we haven't pursued any FAs who could have shored up our weaknesses.

    Part of it is that we have to keep scraping the bottom of the barrel to find replacements for these guys.

    The Pats in 2003 had much worse injuries in their defense than us, and they won the Super Bowl.

    Yet, people insist that we need to forgive a HC who has torn this team down simply because he has injury problems with the guys he brought in.

    In his first or second year, I could accept this excuse. It's his third year. We're past excuse time.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,112
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 139

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Oh, dont get me wrong. I blame everything on the Head Coach / GM. They pick the players. They put them through the practices. They determine how much playing time they get. I am just saying as a TEAM, it is frustrating to know we can be better if we were healthy.

    I do not defend Herm. (I dont think he is the worst coach either). I am just saying the TEAM is being robbed by injuries. I can argue that injuries are the HC's responsibility (they are the ones who decide how many sprints, hitting drills, etc. which take a big toll on their bodies).

    But back to the reason for this post. The d-line (despite injuries) kept us in the game in my opinion.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Oh, dont get me wrong. I blame everything on the Head Coach / GM. They pick the players. They put them through the practices. They determine how much playing time they get. I am just saying as a TEAM, it is frustrating to know we can be better if we were healthy.

    I do not defend Herm. (I dont think he is the worst coach either). I am just saying the TEAM is being robbed by injuries. I can argue that injuries are the HC's responsibility (they are the ones who decide how many sprints, hitting drills, etc. which take a big toll on their bodies).

    But back to the reason for this post. The d-line (despite injuries) kept us in the game in my opinion.
    I guess my point was that we weren't doing so great when our guys were healthy (ATL, OAK, CAR, etc.). People thought offensive turnovers were the problem, but they obviously weren't. I think we'd still be at the bottom of the league in defense even if all 11 projected starters were healthy.

    I think our offense is doing so well, paradoxically, because of injuries. They made us get Bradley (a great find) and made us start Thigpen (who'd have guessed).

    And yes, our d-line play was much better than usual. Not to sound too negative, that's probably because veterans like Edwards and Boone did a good job, unlike the guyes who were supposed to be the future of the line, like Tank, Tyler, etc. Also, and again not to sound too negative, when a secondary is as bad as ours, it makes no sense to run the ball with a clearly deteriorating LT.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,044
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think the Chiefs gave a great effort, but the injuries are hard to overcome. We had guys playing today that I had never seen.
    Yup, our secondary got picked apart.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •