Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Herm went for 2!?!?!

Default Herm went for 2!?!?!

I just did not want to be the only member on the site who did not start a thread about this.

I do have a question though for all Herm haters. I know everyone blames Herm for the loss cause we went for 2 or didn't go for OT. At the end of the day it did not matter what he did, the haters were going to second guess him. However, over the last severaly weeks this team has shown drastic improvements all over the place. we are staying in games, our D has kinda started tackling, our QB play is freakin awesome, our O line is coming together etc.... Now the question I have for you all is this. If Herm gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the basis of, he's the HC, that guy is Herm's pic etc..., when do you start to give him some credit for the improvements. Or are those somehow someone elses doing?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I just did not want to be the only member on the site who did not start a thread about this.

I do have a question though for all Herm haters. I know everyone blames Herm for the loss cause we went for 2 or didn't go for OT. At the end of the day it did not matter what he did, the haters were going to second guess him. However, over the last severaly weeks this team has shown drastic improvements all over the place. we are staying in games, our D has kinda started tackling, our QB play is freakin awesome, our O line is coming together etc.... Now the question I have for you all is this. If Herm gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the basis of, he's the HC, that guy is Herm's pic etc..., when do you start to give him some credit for the improvements. Or are those somehow someone elses doing?
    Someones elses doing

I will give credit when credit is due. And I do like the non-sissy playcalling. Still, he took part in giving this team its worst losing streak in KC history. Since hes been here, weve been going down hill. 9-7 his 1st year, 4-12 and who knows what well be this year.

And while we're at it, screw CP too.

Chan Gailey has earned some points back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Someones elses doing

I will give credit when credit is due. And I do like the non-sissy playcalling. Still, he took part in giving this team its worst losing streak in KC history. Since hes been here, weve been going down hill. 9-7 his 1st year, 4-12 and who knows what well be this year.

And while we're at it, screw CP too.

Chan Gailey has earned some points back.
    I understand he is not a good coach. I am just curious who the dislikes Herm for legitimate reasons and who just bashes him no matter what he does. I guess some will find a way to give him all the blame without any of the credit, but man will you guys look like idiots if we come out with a team that goes 12-4 in the next year or 2 with Herm at the Helm.

You seem to easily blame him for the downhill slide that we have been on, but it is starting to look up. We are almost winning games with our third QB, 4th RB and tatters of a defense yet Herm gets no credit for having those guys ready to play whatsoever.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I understand he is not a good coach. I am just curious who the dislikes Herm for legitimate reasons and who just bashes him no matter what he does. I guess some will find a way to give him all the blame without any of the credit, but man will you guys look like idiots if we come out with a team that goes 12-4 in the next year or 2 with Herm at the Helm.

You seem to easily blame him for the downhill slide that we have been on, but it is starting to look up. We are almost winning games with our third QB, 4th RB and tatters of a defense yet Herm gets no credit for having those guys ready to play whatsoever.

I do not consider a 12-4 season a great season. That's the kind of season Herm likes. 12-4,11-5, 10-6. Lets see how many winning seasons he can get in a row before Herm will change my mind. Anyone can get lucky for a season, I wanna see a Chiefs dynasty. With that said, I give major kudos on going fot the 2 pt. conversion. On the road, 1-6, division rival, hell yeah you go gor the win.

However, the inconsistencies of his coaching is what gets me. 3rd and 3 with six minutes left, and the best play that can be called is a swing pass 2 yards befhind the line of scrimmage, and it was obvious that San Diego knew it was coming, because (i think it was savage) was met by about 5 chargers as soon as he caught the ball. Inabilitites to audible and make adjustments is what gets me. The same can be said for the 2 pt try, San Diego knew what was coming. Kudos on the trying to get a W, but a WTF on the play call.

I'll admit that I'm giving Herm a harder time than I would another coach in the same circumstances.

Over the past three games, the Chiefs have had the most favorable conditions that they are likely to have for the rest of the year. The offense was taking big leads, the other teams were turning the ball over, our defense was holding together - and yet we're still 0-3.

I don't think anyone will deny that every single player on that field gave everything they had last game. No one slacked off, and no player deserves less than our complete admiration. But we lost. Why?

My biggest complaint about Herm has been that his talent evaluations were awful, and his reputation stems from the fact that he plays his draft picks rather than FAs. He's able to say that most of his draftees have started, not because they're good, but because he hasn't had a veteran in the spot. I think we can blame entirely the Herm/CP braintrust for the complete lack of depth on defense that makes the collapses in the last three games possible. His bad gametime calls in the Jets and Bucs games didn't exactly improve my opinion of him.

Was it a bad thing to go for two? I thought so when the call was made, having watched our team take three tries to go just one yard. We weren't a threat to run in the two, so the defense was swarming back there to break up a pass. I admit that our defense was shot (for which I blame Herm) but I think we had the better chance in OT.

That being said, if any other coach in the NFL had made the decision, I probably wouldn't have objected. I probably would have admired him. But when I look at the idiocies and mistakes that got our team to where it is, I can't help but know that if we had a better HC and GM, we would have won the last three games. Or to put it another way, and yes, a bit foolishly, I knew we were going to lose whatever Herm called because he's the kind of coach that always makes the bad calls.

I think the only reason our losses are close right now is because Gailey is doing the best OC work in the NFL, and because Thigpen is vastly more talented then we could have believed.

I think Herm's now had three years to build a defense, and our defense is now worse than in 2005.

I think, if for no other reason than to signal a change in direction of the franchise, that Herm has to go.

I believe most of the credit goes to Thigpen. That kid has real talent. I think he just needed to shed some of his nervousness. If he keeps playing at this level, or better yet gets even better, we're looking at our new franchise QB.

As far as Herm is concerned, I wasn't disappointed or elated at the 2 point conversion. On one hand we had nothing to lose and on the other it sure would have been nice to win a game. The real problem lies in that Herm would never call that play in a season where we had a winning record. I don't think Herm is the real playoff answer we're looking for. His career win/lose record now stands at 43 percent(53-68) and as a Chief(14-27), 34 percent. His defense still gave up 400 yards of offense. Not good.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

True, greg. Just way too many losses. And a whopping 17 of the last 18. Herm also doesn't ever show much concern in his words or tone about each loss. I'd be glad if they canned him. I think most other teams would have long by now.

I think going for 2 was our only chance at winning that game. Our defense was worn down, the only other way I see us winning that game was winning the toss and getting the ball and scoring on our first drive. Otherwise our defense would not of stood a chance in my mind. I realized that san diego turned the ball over twice but they also held the ball for 35 minutes of the game and managed to gain 400 yards on our defense. That is a lot of wear and tear on a defense and I think it was the right call. I'm still on the fence with Herm. I think he has brought a lot of good talent that can be developed. Is Herm going to be the guy that gets it done and develops these young talents....I don't know yet. I think his play calling in inconsistent and I would like to see him make some of these play calls when the season is on the line and not a blown season. I hate to say it but Mike Shanahan's offense is what I'd like to see as far as risk/rewards. I think the play action role out pass was the right call but i think it was expected by all. I don't know that's just my opinion.

i will give herm credit for finding thigpen and seeeing something in him and drafting bowe,albert,carr,flowers,etc but i will also give him credit for making us one of the worst teams in the league with his losing streaks and for some of the draft picks that did not pan out hint medlock etc that being said we are starting to turn the corner with these young players we all knew we had a losing season ahead of us this year with a good draft in 09 and if herm can make adjustmants and fix his stupid desisions and not go back to that conservative offense the sky is the limit he always preaches how the players need to keep evolving into better players he needs to do the same as a coach wich he has shown he can do if the chiefs spend a little in free agency this year on an o-line and a little more in the 2010 year i think we will be alright maybe a ligitimate superbowl team i can tell you this we are alot better off than the gaiders,lions,bengals we are playing good ball and improving

With that being said what is the general outlook on LJ. I realize we need him and he's a great athlete. But is his TO like baggage worth it. I support the suspension but if these keeps up I say use his trade value and get someone who wants to play every game of the season. I'm not saying LJ doesn't want to but his off-field antics need to stop. He's either in it for the haul with us or stop wasting our time. He's a hell of an athlete and has a "rip your head off" attitude but leave it on the field. I'm excited to see him back as long as he adjust to this offense and is on board. Once again just my thoughtss.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast