Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best case scenario

Default Best case scenario

The best of Texaschief and the Chiefs' front office put together. I'm really bored and I was going back and reading some of the stuff I posted about personnel moves and draft picks. Some of my picks are bad, but some of my trades would've been much better than what we are left with now.

In February of 2007, I started a thread called "Trades and the reset button." http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392

In it, I suggest:
    -trading Trent Green to Oakland for Warren Sapp and the 192nd pick in the 7th round.
    Before Trent gets hurts.
    -Trading Greg Wesley to Jacksonville for the 183rd pick in the 6th round.
    Allowing Page to step in
    -Trading Dante Hall to Tennessee (while they were shopping Pacman after his first couple incidents) for the 173rd pick in the 6th round.
    In retrospect, that wasn't asking enough as he was traded to the Rams for a 5th rounder; 148. This would allow Webb to take over kick return duties. Didn't happen. lol
    -Trading Sammy Knight to Houston for the 107th pick in the 4th round.
    Probably asking too much
    -Trading Jared Allen to Atlanta for the 10th pick in the first and the 105th pick in the 4th.
    This was before his career season in 2007.
    -Trading Larry Johnson to Tampa Bay for the #4 pick in the first and the #35 pick in the 2nd.
    This was BEFORE his contract extension and before he got hurt and coming off an incredible 2006 season.

With the picks, I suggested:
    Pick #
    4-Gaines Adams-DE
    10-Amobi Okoye-DT
    23-Michael Bush-RB
    35-Dwayne Jarrett-WR
    54-Justin Blalock-OG
    66-Tank Tyler-DT
    84-Mason Crosby-K
    103-Aundrae Allison-WR
    107-Doug Datish-C
    151-Anthony Arline-CB
    173-C.J. Wilson-CB
    179-Kasey Studdard-OG
    183-Mike Otto-OT
    211-Ramonce Taylor-RB/KR

Looking back, trading Green, would've been best for the Chiefs, even if we didn't bring back Sapp. But Let's say they get the pick and Sapp. Just for fun. (211)

Trading Wesley would've been best also. Netting #183.

What the Chiefs got for Dante is better than what I asked for, so we get the Ram's 148th pick in 2008.

Trading Knight would've been best. Netting the 107th pick.

What the Chiefs got for Allen in 2008 was better than what I asked for in 2007, so we keep him in 2007 and trade him in 2008.

Trading LJ to the Bucs would've been great for the Chiefs, no matter what we got in return. So, the Chiefs get the #4 pick and the #35 pick for LJ.

Taking the best of my 2007 draft and the actual draft, the Chiefs' new draft goes like this:

1-4-Adrian Peterson-RB (The Chiefs traded LJ and they take the best available RB. They still have Allen at this point and don't need a DE.)
    1-23-Dwayne Bowe-WR
    2-35-Justin Blalock-OG (Actually taken 39)
    2-54-Turk McBride-DT
    3-82-Tank Tyler-DT
    5-148-Kolby Smith-RB
    5-160-Mason Crosby-K (Actually taken 193)
    6-183-Kasey Studdard-OG (Actually taken 183)
    7-211-Mike Otto-OT (Actually taken 223)
    7-231-Michael Allan-TE

In a thread titled "My 7 round Chiefs Mock" http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4485

Without any trades, my picks for the 2008 draft were:
    5-Sedrick Eliis-DT
    35-Gosder Cherilus-OT
    66-Justin King-CB
    107-Barry Richardson-OT
    136-Adrian Arrington-WR
    140-Jerremy Zuttah-OG/C
    172-Jack Williams-CB
    183-Brad Roach-QB
    211-Maurice Purify
    239-Donald Thomas

Then, trading the #5 pick, my picks were:
    14-Branden Albert-OT/OG
    35-Gosder Cherilus-OT
    44-Malcom Kelly-WR
    66-Charles Godfrey-CB
    75-Jordy Nelson-WR
    107-Chevis Jackson-CB
    136-Jeremy Zuttah-OG/OT
    140-Frank Okam-DT
    172-Jack Williams-CB
    183-Adrian Arrington-WR
    211-Brad Roach-QB
    239-Brian Witherspoon

In 2008, The Chiefs trade Allen for a 1st and 2 3rd rd picks. Here is the best the 2008 draft could've looked between my picks and the Chiefs'.
    1-5-Dorsey-DT
    1-15-Albert-OT
    2-35-Flowers-CB
    3-73-Charles-RB
    3-76-Cottam-TE
    3-82-Jeremy Zuttah-OG (original pick: Morgan) *Zuttah picked 83rd
    4-105-Franklin-WR
    5-140-Carr-CB
    6-170-Richardson-OT
    6-182-Robinson-WR
    7-210-Adrian Arrington-WR (original pick:Johnston) Arrington picked 237
    7-239-Merritt-TE

Going into the 2008 season, the team looks like this:
    QB-Croyle, Huard, Thigpen
    RB-Peterson, Smith, Charles
    WR-Bowe, Darling, Webb
    LT-Albert/Otto
    LG-Waters/Zuttah
    C-Niswanger/Zuttah
    RG-Blalock/Studdard
    RT-McIntosh/Richardson
    TE-Gonzo/Cottam
    MLB-Thomas
    OLB-Johnson/Edwards
    DT-Tank/Dorsey
    DE-Hali/McBride
    CB-Flowers/Carr
    SS-Pollard
    FS-Page/Morgan

K-Crosby
    P-Colquitt
    K/PR-Savage

Now for the 2009 draft:

The Chiefs don't really have anything to trade other than Larry Johnson or Tony Gonzalez. Let's say the Chiefs do decide to trade Gonzo and get a high 2nd rounder for him from the Cardinals. The undrafted Leonard Pope just isn't getting it done. Let's say, the end up giving us #55 in the 2nd round for Gonzo.

Then, the Chiefs shop LJ. With his contract and off field problems, along with his injuries in recent years, I just don't see much trade value in him and think he's probably worth more on the team. But, let's say LJ goes off during the second half of the season and averages 100 yards on the ground from here to the end of the season. His trade value increases and perhaps the Chiefs land a 2nd and a 4th from the 49ers who are desperate need of a rushing attack. The Chiefs get #39 and #103.

With those additional picks, the Chiefs will probably be in the top 10 based on their record. I think the Chiefs end up with a 5-11 record. This puts them around pick 6. That said, the Chiefs do this in the draft:

1-6-Michael Crabtree-WR
    2-38-Brian Orakpo-DE (he falls due to injury)
    2-39-Brandon Spikes-ILB
    2-55-Russell Okung-OT
    3-70-Myron Rolle-S
    4-101-Ryan Purvis-TE
    4-103-Phil Loadholt-OT

Now, going into the 2009 season, after a couple free agent acquisitions, the Chiefs look like this:

QB-Thigpen, Gray, Croyle
    RB-Peterson, Smith, Charles
    WR-Bowe, Crabtree, Bradley
    LT-Albert/Taylor/Otto
    LG-Zuttah/Waters
    C-Niswanger/Zuttah
    RG-Blalock/Studdard
    RT-Okung/Loadholt/Richardson
    TE-Cottam/Purvis
    MLB-Spikes/Thomas
    OLB-Johnson/Vilma
    DT-Tank/Dorsey
    DE-Hali/Orakpo
    CB-Flowers/Carr
    SS-Pollard/Morgan
    FS-Rolle/Page

K-Crosby
    P-Colquitt
    K/PR-Savage

THAT would be a cool team to watch. Ok. I spent waaaaaay too much time on this. lol. I guess doing stuff like this is why I decided to pursue the degree and career i did.

Now, compare that roster to the one the Chiefs COULD have in 2009 if those same trades are made.

QB-Thigpen, Gray, Croyle
    RB-Charles, Smith
    WR-Bowe, Crabtree, Bradley
    LT-Albert/Taylor
    LG-Waters/OPEN
    C-Niswanger
    RG-OPEN
    RT-Okung/Loadholt/Richardson
    TE-Cottam/Purvis
    MLB-Spikes/Thomas
    OLB-Johnson/Vilma
    DT-Tank/Dorsey
    DE-Hali/Orakpo
    CB-Flowers/Carr
    SS-Pollard/Morgan
    FS-Rolle/Page

K-Crosby
    P-Colquitt
    K/PR-Savage

Besides the huge difference at RB and OG, there really isn't much difference. Depending on how the team feels about Charles or Smith as an every down back, you could sub someone like Chris Wells for Crabtree, but I'd rather just go with guys we have at RB if it meant Crabtree for Wells. Then, worry about RB and QB in the 2010 draft if necessary. Or, sign a free agent RB.

Whats with your huge crush on Crabtree?
    We got more pressing needs than wide reciever...
    SHUT IT

Crabtree is a stud and IMO when you have high draft picks (15 and below) you take the best players available regardless of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Crabtree is a stud and IMO when you have high draft picks (15 and below) you take the best players available regardless of position.
    This really didn't work for the Lions.

How does Crabtree improve this team more than a stud defensive player or a lineman? Bradley has played great since we signed him, so there is little room for improvement there, and a lot of room for improvement at other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    -Trading Dante Hall to Tennessee (while they were shopping Pacman after his first couple incidents) for the 173rd pick in the 6th round.
    In retrospect, that wasn't asking enough as he was traded to the Rams for a 5th rounder; 148. This would allow Webb to take over kick return duties. Didn't happen. lol

I thought Dante Hall was gotten rid of because of his big head. What incidents are you talking about?
    THAT would be a cool team to watch. Ok. I spent waaaaaay too much time on this. lol. I guess doing stuff like this is why I decided to pursue the degree and career i did.
    What do you do for a living, sounds like you work in acquisitions and mergers in a big business.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    [/B]
    I thought Dante Hall was gotten rid of because of his big head. What incidents are you talking about?

What do you do for a living, sounds like you work in acquisitions and mergers in a big business.
    I'm about to get my first degree in Sports Business and Administration with a Minor in Architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    [/B]

Pacman's incidents. Not Hall's.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The Chiefs don't really have anything to trade other than Larry Johnson or Tony Gonzalez. Let's say the Chiefs do decide to trade Gonzo and get a high 2nd rounder for him from the Cardinals. The undrafted Leonard Pope just isn't getting it done. Let's say, the end up giving us #55 in the 2nd round for Gonzo.

Then, the Chiefs shop LJ. With his contract and off field problems, along with his injuries in recent years, I just don't see much trade value in him and think he's probably worth more on the team. But, let's say LJ goes off during the second half of the season and averages 100 yards on the ground from here to the end of the season. His trade value increases and perhaps the Chiefs land a 2nd and a 4th from the 49ers who are desperate need of a rushing attack. The Chiefs get #39 and #103.
    The problem with your scenarios is that you vastly overvalue Chiefs players. Leonard Pope was a 2nd round pick by the Cards, and they're still extremely high on him. They aren't going to trade a 2nd for Gonzo. A team like the Eagles, Panthers, or Pats might trade a 3rd for Gonzo this offseason, but that's probably all we could get for him. And, anyway, why would we trade him at the conclusion of the season if we weren't going to trade him at midseason? We'll get less than what we were offered at mideason, when teams are in the playoff hunt, not more after the season is done.

The 49rs are paying 1RB money to Frank Gore. They aren't taking on LJ's salary as well. Some teams would probably love LJ in the backfield (Broncos, Seahawks, Lions, Pats, or maybe Bengals), but they aren't going to trade a 2nd for him. LJ has a rap sheet, has been suspended, is an injury risk, and is a locker room distraction. Teams would sign him to a minimum contract, but they aren't trading a high pick for his high salary, even if he rushes for 700 yards over the last seven games.

And really, do the Chiefs really need the picks? We need to get more experience, especially on defense, not younger.

Interesting work on those picks. I like Crabtree as well, but I think there will be great players available at more pressing needs. And the other thing that caught my eye is that you had the Chiefs finishing with 5 wins this year. That means they wins 4 games against the remaining opponents(Saints,Bills,Raiders,Broncos,Chargers,Do lphins,Bengals). Pretty bullish call, but I like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast