Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Just an idea ...

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,094
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 130

    Default Just an idea ...


    0 Not allowed!
    A couple weeks ago we ran a few plays out of the wildcat formation (TD to Thigpen). I wonder if we will see more of that. Especially now that we have two RBs (if LJ gets his stuff together and JC is healthy). I wouldnt mind seeing JC getting a direct snap and running a few different hand-offs to LJ or keeping it himself.

    Not sure it will work, but it would be interesting to see.

    Obviously this would only work if LJ gets his drive back. Im guessing he will, since he has a history of playing well when he has something to prove. His best seasons were when he was trying to prove he can be better than Priest and deserved more of the carries. And then the first season that Priest was gone when he felt like he still had to prove himself as a legit premiere back.

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I'm a sceptic of the wild-cat and gimmic offenses. The one play to Thigpen worked. I don't mind it as a trick formation. I just get worried about that formation when it's instituted as much as the Dolphins do. It seems to be working for the Dolphins, but I don't think it'll work much longer.

    One advantage to it though, allows you to put an extra blocker in the backfield for the ball carrier. Imagine running the I-formation with a QB, RB, and FB, but the QB is actually LJ, the FB is actually someone like a quick, backup OL and the RB being Cox. That gives you a formation with 2TEs, 6Olinemen, a FB, RB, and your QB split out. That formation would be great if you desperately needed a yard or two. The University of Texas runs a similar package with a DT as the fullback. I haven't seen the formation fail yet.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm a sceptic of the wild-cat and gimmic offenses. The one play to Thigpen worked. I don't mind it as a trick formation. I just get worried about that formation when it's instituted as much as the Dolphins do. It seems to be working for the Dolphins, but I don't think it'll work much longer.

    One advantage to it though, allows you to put an extra blocker in the backfield for the ball carrier. Imagine running the I-formation with a QB, RB, and FB, but the QB is actually LJ, the FB is actually someone like a quick, backup OL and the RB being Cox. That gives you a formation with 2TEs, 6Olinemen, a FB, RB, and your QB split out. That formation would be great if you desperately needed a yard or two. The University of Texas runs a similar package with a DT as the fullback. I haven't seen the formation fail yet.

    I think you are right. A couple weeks ago (against Denver I think), they showed the stats of the "wildcat" formation, and every week they gained fewer yards than the week before. Defensive coordinators will figure a way to stop it and make it obsolete, just a matter of time.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TRB05 View Post
    I think you are right. A couple weeks ago (against Denver I think), they showed the stats of the "wildcat" formation, and every week they gained fewer yards than the week before. Defensive coordinators will figure a way to stop it and make it obsolete, just a matter of time.
    To a point, but you also have to realize that the Dolphinis have continued to adjust and show new wrinkles out of it each week. Adding pass plays from Ricky Williams, etc. Think about what a team with an athletic QB could do...Pennington isn't athletic, but a Seneca Wallace or similar QB could line up at WR and run and End Around Pass/Run option...giving the ball back into the hands of your best passer and putting him in space to have the run/pass option. There are still wrinkles out there that could be implemented that haven't yet. I don't think it will remain as a staple, but it is a great way to develop mismatches.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,936
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 422

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    A couple weeks ago we ran a few plays out of the wildcat formation (TD to Thigpen). I wonder if we will see more of that. Especially now that we have two RBs (if LJ gets his stuff together and JC is healthy). I wouldnt mind seeing JC getting a direct snap and running a few different hand-offs to LJ or keeping it himself.

    Not sure it will work, but it would be interesting to see.

    Obviously this would only work if LJ gets his drive back. Im guessing he will, since he has a history of playing well when he has something to prove. His best seasons were when he was trying to prove he can be better than Priest and deserved more of the carries. And then the first season that Priest was gone when he felt like he still had to prove himself as a legit premiere back.

    If only he could keep his nose clean.


  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    262
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    If only he could keep his nose clean.
    That seems to be a more difficult task with every week. Don't be surprised if LJ is not on the team next season.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •