Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear some more nonsense about....

Default Let's hear some more nonsense about....

.....how you "can't run a spread in the NFL". Come on, someone indulge me; that's one of my favorites!

And seeing how the Chiefs have proven that this "can't be done"( DCS rolls eyes repeatedly ), I'd say the paradigm regarding a QB prospect has shifted.

Add to that the fact that we need a monster LB for our defense( #58 from USC, and I shall broker NO gruff to the contrary ), as our defense has no game-changers anywhere NEAR the line( and it's time for Donnie Edwards to retire; PAST time actually ), the whole QB -scenario is now open to a much wider field.

Mmmm......who else runs a spread at the college level, and has a QB particularly suited for it, and is a devout student of the game, and can be had as a quality clip-board holder/understudy without the Chiefs giving the house away?

WAIT! Why yes! Of course!

Is that the sound of DCS throwing the Gauntlet down?
    Yes. Yes it is.

If the Chiefs are going to commit to the spread, their priority should WRs in the first couple rounds and then pick up Harrell in the late rounds. But, if we're REALLY going to the spread, I'd rather have a QB back there who could run, so waiting for Colt McCoy would be the best option.

Daniel is hardly the best option at QB if we keep running the spread. Mainly, because the guy we have is doing a good job as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    If the Chiefs are going to commit to the spread, their priority should WRs in the first couple rounds and then pick up Harrell in the late rounds. But, if we're REALLY going to the spread, I'd rather have a QB back there who could run, so waiting for Colt McCoy would be the best option.

Daniel is hardly the best option at QB if we keep running the spread. Mainly, because the guy we have is doing a good job as it is.
    Good points. All I'm saying is, at this point I'm not looking for someone to be better than Thigpen; just someone who can come in a hopefully compete at the same level if he should get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    .....how you "can't run a spread in the NFL". Come on, someone indulge me; that's one of my favorites!

And seeing how the Chiefs have proven that this "can't be done"( DCS rolls eyes repeatedly ), I'd say the paradigm regarding a QB prospect has shifted.

Add to that the fact that we need a monster LB for our defense( #58 from USC, and I shall broker NO gruff to the contrary ), as our defense has no game-changers anywhere NEAR the line( and it's time for Donnie Edwards to retire; PAST time actually ), the whole QB -scenario is now open to a much wider field.

Mmmm......who else runs a spread at the college level, and has a QB particularly suited for it, and is a devout student of the game, and can be had as a quality clip-board holder/understudy without the Chiefs giving the house away?

WAIT! Why yes! Of course!

Yes. Yes it is.
    We're 0-3 running the spread. Our offense drops off dramatically in the second half after running the spread. Our defense tires out because we don't have a ground game. We're getting by on novelty now - let's see if future teams are as unprepared.

Why don't you wait until the spread actually wins a game before anointing it our offense of the future?

Yeah, we still suck no matter what. Even when we improve!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    We're 0-3 running the spread. Our offense drops off dramatically in the second half after running the spread. Our defense tires out because we don't have a ground game. We're getting by on novelty now - let's see if future teams are as unprepared.

Why don't you wait until the spread actually wins a game before anointing it our offense of the future?
    The Thig outplayed Favre, Garcia, and Rivers the past 3 weeks...our D is banged up...and Jamaal Charles was the first back to rush over 100 yards against the bucs D this season. I think we could be 3-0 just as easy as we are 0-3 these last few games...we just have not been gettin the breaks. I mean, the final TD to Laveranues Coles...Lucky.

I have to agree that the spread is a novelty at the moment and only time will tell if it will endure once DCs start to figure it out. Yeah, it's great that the staff has changed their scheme to fit Thigpen's strengths, but do we want to go that route for the future? Just think, how many running QBs are truly successful in this league? Just look at Vick and Vince Young, they're not that good of QBs, they just have great atheletic ability and when pressured tend to rely on their legs instead of using their brains to get them out of trouble.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Yeah, we still suck no matter what. Even when we improve!!
    I wasn't saying that! The OP just asked for anyone to give reasons why anyone would slam the spread offense. I listed several.

Anyway, it may turn out great. I just want to see how it holds up over the rest of the seaon before saying that it's an effective offense in the NFL. Same with Thigpen - looking good right now, but let's wait until we win some games before anointing our problems fixed.

This was a trick post, and you fell for it.

Item Number One:
    We do not, will not, and should not run a True Spread. What we should do, and hopefully will do, is create a hybrid-scheme between the current passing game, and a more traditional ground game-based offense.
    Now that does NOT mean a return to the "let's hand it off to LJ and watch him get stuffed at the line 10 times a game".
    What YOU call "novelty" on the part of our current offensive scheme, I call "It's About God D*med Time Some Creativity Landed Up In The Coord-Box", and that approach had better continue if we want to develop a Championship Level, NFL Football Team.
    You DO THIS, because when the day comes that you finally DO possess an Offensive Line that doesn't pull out the old Aircraft Carrier "hand-held traffic controllers" and wave 'em on through( your opposition on the defensive line ), you've got a Quarterback, Running Back(s), and Receivers that are trained to adapt and pull rabbits out of their butts when things break down.

Item Number Two:
    I can't imagine why our "Defense is getting tired", when the only time they're producing is in Red-Zone Stands.
    That can change however, if the Powers That Be in charge of drafting this year tune about 70% of the Fan Base out, and drop this UTTER NONSENSE about picking up a First Round Quarterback, and instead pick up A PREMIUM LINEBACKER.
    WE.....NEED.....A.....PASS.....RUSH; Learn it, Live it, Love it.
    One more time:
    WE.....NEED.....A.....PASS.....RUSH.

And after that, THEN get your QB understudy to hold the clipboard.
    And then after that, please get this team, myself, and Chiefs31 some LINEMEN.

I think teams are having trouble against our spread right now because we're simply the only team that runs it. I notice it's working against more veteran teams too. If you think about it, scout teams have to mimic the spread in practice and I don't think a lot of teams have the players to run it like we do. I think Chan will eventually have to figure out a way to mix in the spread with the pro-style in order to put together a successful four-quarter game plan. If we can get up early in the first half with the spread (like we've been doing) and run the pro-style in the second half with Larry Johnson playing the role of a "closer" then I think we can be more successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast