Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redoing the 2008 NFL Draft

Default Redoing the 2008 NFL Draft

Given the Chiefs current predicament, I was given to wonder if we would be an improved team if we drafted better. Below is my redo of the Chiefs draft. I have taken into account all trades. I have assumed that all players we originally drafted would be there no matter my changes.

Round 1, pick 5 - Ryan Clady, LT (originally Glenn Dorsey, DT)
    Rd 1, pk 15 - Brendan Albert, RG (same)
    Rd 2, pk 4 - Brandan Flowers, CB (same)
    Rd 3, pk 10 - Jeremy Zuttah, RT (originally Jamaal Charles, RB)
    Rd 3, pk 13 - Mario Manningham, WR (originally Brad Cottam, TE)
    Rd 3, pk 19 - Steve Slaton, RB (originally DuJuan Morgan, S)
    Rd 4, pk 6 - Cody Wallace, C (originally Will Franklin, WR)
    Rd 5, pk 5 - Brandon Carr, CB (same)
    Rd 6, pk 4 - Geno Hayes, LB (originally Barry Richardson, RT)
    Rd 6, pk 16 - Colt Brennan, QB (originally Kevin Robinson, WR)
    Rd 7, pk 3 - Brian Johnston, DE (same)
    Rd 7, pk 32 - Chis Horton, S (originally Mike Merritt, FB)

What do you think? Yes, there's a lot of armchair redoing, but they're the picks I wanted for the first three rounds at least at the time. For the rest, I went with what were obviously our needs that were not addressed in the draft. I didn't like Johnston still, but I won't pretend I knew of better DEs that low.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    OR lets say Denver takes Chris Williams(drafted at 14th by the Bears). Who do you think the Bears would of taken?????????? Correct Alberts!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very, very few teams believed that Albert could be moved from RG to LT. I still don't believe it. Neither the Bears not the Broncos are going to draft a RG that high. They'll draft other positions, they'd draft Otah, but we're getting Albert at 15.

And frankly, if it comes down to it, I'll take Clady at 5, Otah at 15, and keep the rest of my re-draft the same (Zuttah would play RG). If we get Cody in the 4th, we have our OL for the next ten years, rather than Dorsey. Sounds good to me.

I agree that would be GREAT

I'm all for drafting the best OL this year, but just because we want two TOP tackles doesn't mean the chiefs would of took a RT at 15 is what I'm saying.

Just like you said "Neither the Bears not the Broncos are going to draft a RG that high"

There is a 0% chance that we would of took a RT at 15th overall, I mean ZERO!!!!!

I guess we could of taken Chilo Rachal (drafted 39th by 49ners), but I don't think he was worth the 15th overall pick do you?

The more realistic pick would of been

1st(5th): Clady
    2nd(17): Aqib Talib CB (Top Rookie CB, drafted 20th)
    3rd(35): Chilo Rachal G (2nd top G, drafted 39th)

I just hate seeing us draft a RT with our 15th overall pick and really do not see how the chiefs would of went that way. Also, no way Brandon Albert makes it past Denver AND the Bears sorry.

ALSO, since we would not have to trade up 2 spots to pick alberts that would not be there we keep our 5th round pick and do not switch 3's with the Lions.

So that adds in an extra draft pick (5th round) and we would have the 66th pick instead of the 76th pick.

So you tell me.

Clady/Otah(RT)/Flowers

OR

Clady/Talib/Rachal AND 66th instead of 76th AND 5th round pick

Talib > Flowers
    Rachal > Otah at Guard (cause we woldl never draft a RT at 15th let alone trade UP to get him LOL)

Honestly I like the way we drafted!!!

Dorsey/Albert/Flowers
    Last edited by balto; 11-17-2008 at 12:40 PM.

If we are re-doing the last draft can the 49ers have Joey Flacco? Please! ...and yes I was begging for him on draft day, but alas the idiots in our war room though JT O'Sullivan or Shaun Hill would be the answer. LOL
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    If we are re-doing the last draft can the 49ers have Joey Flacco? Please! ...and yes I was begging for him on draft day, but alas the idiots in our war room though JT O'Sullivan or Shaun Hill would be the answer. LOL
    If it makes you feel better, I'd bet pretty heavily on Matt Cassel being the 49ers franchise QB starting next year. And Josh McDaniels (OC for the Pats) being the head coach.

I agree that would be GREAT

I'm all for drafting the best OL this year, but just because we want two TOP tackles doesn't mean the chiefs would of took a RT at 15 is what I'm saying.

Just like you said "Neither the Bears not the Broncos are going to draft a RG that high"

There is a 0% chance that we would of took a RT at 15th overall, I mean ZERO!!!!!

I guess we could of taken Chilo Rachal (drafted 39th by 49ners), but I don't think he was worth the 15th overall pick do you?

The more realistic pick would of been

1st(5th): Clady
    2nd(17): Aqib Talib CB (Top Rookie CB, drafted 20th)
    3rd(35): Chilo Rachal G (2nd top G, drafted 39th)

I just hate seeing us draft a RT with our 15th overall pick and really do not see how the chiefs would of went that way. Also, no way Brandon Albert makes it past Denver AND the Bears sorry.

ALSO, since we would not have to trade up 2 spots to pick alberts that would not be there we keep our 5th round pick and do not switch 3's with the Lions.

So that adds in an extra draft pick (5th round) and we would have the 66th pick instead of the 76th pick.

So you tell me.

Clady/Otah(RT)/Flowers

OR

Clady/Talib/Rachal AND 66th instead of 76th AND 5th round pick

Talib > Flowers
    Rachal > Otah at Guard (cause we woldl never draft a RT at 15th let alone trade UP to get him LOL)

Honestly I like the way we drafted!!!

Dorsey/Albert/Flowers
    What are you talking about? 15th isn't too early to draft a RT. Good teams do it all the time. It's more reasonable to draft a RT at 15 than a DT at 5, anyway.

Just because we wouldn't do it doesn't mean it wasn't the smart thing to do.

who/when was a Tackle drafted in the top 15 to be a RT?

Also,

Now that I think about it. (since Albert would be gone AND no RT is worth the top 15th)

Maybe we should of drafted

Derrick Harvey DE (Drafted 8th)

OR

Vernon Gholston LB (Drafted 6th)

THEN the best LT on the board. Hell with us taking a DE or LB we would of had a better chance of still getting Albert.

So lets say if we get lucky and get albert again.

Harvey/Albert/Flowers

BUT dammit I still like our pick

Dorsey/albert/Flowers

I say we did GREAT with our first 3 picks and could not of improved on that.

BUT "maybe" do our 3rd rounders different.

(73): Charles
    (76): Cottman
    (82): Morgan

We should of done this.

The same with Charles/Cottman, but took Jeremy Zuttah G at (82) instead of Morgan.

That would of given us Alberts and Zuttah for our line.
    Last edited by balto; 11-17-2008 at 02:12 PM.

who/when was a Tackle drafted in the top 15 to be a RT?

Also,

Now that I think about it. (since Albert would be gone AND no RT is worth the top 15th)

Maybe we should of drafted

Derrick Harvey DE (Drafted 8th)

OR

Vernon Gholston LB (Drafted 6th)

THEN the best LT on the board. Hell with us taking a DE or LB we would of had a better chance of still getting Albert.

So lets say if we get lucky and get albert again.

Harvey/Albert/Flowers

BUT dammit I still like our pick

Dorsey/albert/Flowers

I say we did GREAT with our first 3 picks and could not of improved on that.

BUT "maybe" do our 3rd rounders different.

(73): Charles
    (76): Cottman
    (82): Morgan

We should of done this.

The same with Charles/Cottman, but took Jeremy Zuttah G at (82) instead of Morgan.

That would of given us Alberts and Zuttah for our line.
    Why do you think RT is not a top-15 position? Look at Levi Brown. He was the 5th pick in 2007, and the Cardinals have turned their offense around in part because they rebuilt their line with him as a cornerstone. Would Otah have been a reach at 15 (as opposed to 19, where he went)?

I could much more easily say that DT is not a top-5 draft position, as the learning curve for DTs is so long. So how do you defend Dorsey with the 5th pick?

If you think Dorsey's been successful for us so far, you aren't watching Chiefs games. Maybe he'll turn it around next year, but he's been pitifully bad (along with the rest of the DL) in 2008.

You know that Levi Brown was drafted to protect MATT LEINART!!!!! A "LEFT" handed QB, please try again!!!!

Levi Brown WAS drafted to be a BLIND side Tackle, most QB's in the NFL throw right handed SO that Blind side tackle is a LT, but if your QB is a lefty that same tackle that would be your blind side (LT) is now on the right side

Please give me another example (and do research)

ALSO, since 2000 there have been MANY DT's drafted in the top 10 and top 5.

There has been

1-3rd pick
    1-4th pick
    1-5th pick (Dorsey)
    4-6th pick
    1-7th pick
    1-9th pick
    1-10th pick

I have tried my best to find a player that has been drafted to play RT(or non blind side) in the top 15, but I can find ZERO!!!!!! Please help me find one LOL

Yes I agree DT can take longer to get better then other positions, but hey by the time the Chiefs are contenders Dorsey will be a TOP DT in the NFL.

Just please get past this drafting a RT with 15th over all.

NOW that being said, I have no problem with us drafting a STUD LT this year and moving Albert to Guard then even picking up another guard in the draft to someday replace Waters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123