Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redoing the 2008 NFL Draft

Default Redoing the 2008 NFL Draft

Given the Chiefs current predicament, I was given to wonder if we would be an improved team if we drafted better. Below is my redo of the Chiefs draft. I have taken into account all trades. I have assumed that all players we originally drafted would be there no matter my changes.

Round 1, pick 5 - Ryan Clady, LT (originally Glenn Dorsey, DT)
    Rd 1, pk 15 - Brendan Albert, RG (same)
    Rd 2, pk 4 - Brandan Flowers, CB (same)
    Rd 3, pk 10 - Jeremy Zuttah, RT (originally Jamaal Charles, RB)
    Rd 3, pk 13 - Mario Manningham, WR (originally Brad Cottam, TE)
    Rd 3, pk 19 - Steve Slaton, RB (originally DuJuan Morgan, S)
    Rd 4, pk 6 - Cody Wallace, C (originally Will Franklin, WR)
    Rd 5, pk 5 - Brandon Carr, CB (same)
    Rd 6, pk 4 - Geno Hayes, LB (originally Barry Richardson, RT)
    Rd 6, pk 16 - Colt Brennan, QB (originally Kevin Robinson, WR)
    Rd 7, pk 3 - Brian Johnston, DE (same)
    Rd 7, pk 32 - Chis Horton, S (originally Mike Merritt, FB)

What do you think? Yes, there's a lot of armchair redoing, but they're the picks I wanted for the first three rounds at least at the time. For the rest, I went with what were obviously our needs that were not addressed in the draft. I didn't like Johnston still, but I won't pretend I knew of better DEs that low.

...whats the point of this? The draft is over? The question is who would you draft in the next draft?

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    ...whats the point of this? The draft is over? The question is who would you draft in the next draft?
    The point of it was just for fun. Also so people will stop saying that we had a great 2008 draft and I should respect Herm's drafting skills.

For the next draft, I would go: RT, QB, RG, C, RB, LG, WR - in that order (you can flip RG/QB if necessary). I don't trust our current brain trust with defensive picks, and we could use all of those players to keep our offense in the right direction.

We have as much youth as a team needs on defense. We need to let them grow, cut them, or sign vets. Not to add more youth.

Who are you looking at for RB out of curiousity...

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    Who are you looking at for RB out of curiousity...
    I don't think we should draft a RB before the 5th, so the following 2 RBs are two I think will be available when we draft in the 5th.

Part of me wants Marcus Thigpen (Indiana), just so we can load up on Thigpens. He'd also be a great kick returner for us.

For a big back, I like Marlon Lucky (Nebraska). He'll be there in the 6th-7th.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    The point of it was just for fun. Also so people will stop saying that we had a great 2008 draft and I should respect Herm's drafting skills.

For the next draft, I would go: RT, QB, RG, C, RB, LG, WR - in that order (you can flip RG/QB if necessary). I don't trust our current brain trust with defensive picks, and we could use all of those players to keep our offense in the right direction.

We have as much youth as a team needs on defense. We need to let them grow, cut them, or sign vets. Not to add more youth.
    you can not say he did not have a good draft this year give these players some time and some of the players he did pick up are producing carr,flowers,albert,and cottam he is a good blocking tight end

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    you can not say he did not have a good draft this year give these players some time and some of the players he did pick up are producing carr,flowers,albert,and cottam he is a good blocking tight end
    And you notice I kept Flowers, Carr, and Albert. Cottam isn't a bad player - he's just a luxury pick that we could have spend on a position of need.

My point, more than anything, is that we drafted players for positions we didn't need, or players that haven't produced. That we'd been a lot better off drafting our offensive line than pouring our picks into the defense. That our priorities are all screwed up. That we can learn from this history.

Also, it's just fun to play what-if.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    And you notice I kept Flowers, Carr, and Albert. Cottam isn't a bad player - he's just a luxury pick that we could have spend on a position of need.

My point, more than anything, is that we drafted players for positions we didn't need, or players that haven't produced. That we'd been a lot better off drafting our offensive line than pouring our picks into the defense. That our priorities are all screwed up. That we can learn from this history.

Also, it's just fun to play what-if.
    Cottam is a position of need. TG could retire at any time, and we had no one to take his place. A TE had to be drafted.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Cottam is a position of need. TG could retire at any time, and we had no one to take his place. A TE had to be drafted.
    We have an all star we won't trade at the TE position for at least 2008. Grooming a TE would be a nice luxury, but a we needed a starting LB, RG, or RT in a much worse way than a TE.

I mean, if Tony G. retires, that's sad and I'll miss him. But TE is pretty low on the hierarchy of need positions.

How about some LBs?

I forgot Slaton went so late, but then again, there always seems to be quality RBs in the 3rd-5th rounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast