Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on LJ?

Hybrid View

Default Thoughts on LJ?

I am wondering how everyone think LJ did in his return. I thought he was decent. He broke some tackles and fought for yardage (unfortunately he was breaking tackles before he got to the line of scrimmage). I think Gailey is once again being brilliant in utilizing LJ with the spread. LJ is good when he runs north-south, so he put him in a shotgun I formation, brilliant.

LJ had 3.5 ypc with inconsistent blocking on the line.

Im curious to hear your opinions ...

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I am wondering how everyone think LJ did in his return. I thought he was decent. He broke some tackles and fought for yardage (unfortunately he was breaking tackles before he got to the line of scrimmage). I think Gailey is once again being brilliant in utilizing LJ with the spread. LJ is good when he runs north-south, so he put him in a shotgun I formation, brilliant.

LJ had 3.5 ypc with inconsistent blocking on the line.

Im curious to hear your opinions ...
    LJ did good. Not great or bad - good. I can't say he's worth his money or anything, but we didn't lose the game because he couldn't run the ball either.

I can't think of many RBs who would do better behind our line.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    LJ did good. Not great or bad - good. I can't say he's worth his money or anything, but we didn't lose the game because he couldn't run the ball either.

agreed makes you wonder how good this offense would be with a better o-line

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    agreed makes you wonder how good this offense would be with a better o-line
    If our o-line was better, we would be a top-15 offense. We could have punched in that 1 yard run with LJ. We wouldn't have to run the spread and we could maybe win the time of possession, saving our defense its humiliations.

I think rebuilding our OL is our first and foremost priority.

If our o-line was better, we would be a top-15 offense. We could have punched in that 1 yard run with LJ. We wouldn't have to run the spread and we could maybe win the time of possession, saving our defense its humiliations.

I think rebuilding our OL is our first and foremost priority.
    I agree on all of those points. I just hope Thigpen turns out to be the real deal for the rest of the season, so we dont draft a QB in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I agree on all of those points. I just hope Thigpen turns out to be the real deal for the rest of the season, so we dont draft a QB in the first round.
    I think, no matter how Thigpen does the rest of the season, that we can wait until the 2nd-3rd to draft a QB. But let's not wait until the 6th, 7th, or never and say all we need is Thigpen. That's what we did for years with Green and Croyle, and look where it got us. Draft Colt McCoy in the 2nd, if available, and sit him behind Tyler in case of injury. If Tyler ends up flaming out next year, we have a QB in the wings. If Tyler ends up a perrenial pro-bowler, we trade McCoy for a 1st rounder. If nothing else, we have a legitimate backup at our traditionally thinnest position.

If we can draft backup safeties, RBs, and TEs in the 3rd, we should be able to draft a backup QB.

One thing to say....2 Fumbles....

I would say LJ had a bad day. 67 total yards and 2 fumbles even if they were not lost If you call that a good day then your expectations must be bottom of the barrel. I didn't watch to see if he had any after game comments but I would give him points if he was humble about his performance. I still think I would have prefered running Jamal all day over LJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey144 View Post
    One thing to say....2 Fumbles....

I would say LJ had a bad day. 67 total yards and 2 fumbles even if they were not lost If you call that a good day then your expectations must be bottom of the barrel. I didn't watch to see if he had any after game comments but I would give him points if he was humble about his performance. I still think I would have prefered running Jamal all day over LJ.
    If you run Jamaal Charles all day, be prepared to carry him off the field in a body bag. He doesn't have the heft to run 20+ times a game.

LJ didn't have a good day compared to what you would want from your running game. He had a good game for an inside-the-tackles runner behind a miserable o-line. I give him credit for as many yards as he got behind our line.

I think he had a good day in the sense that he was breaking tackles, driving tacklers and fighting for extra yards. You cannot blame him for not getting in the endzone when he is hit 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on a power dive. I will admit that the two fumbles were horrible. But I think he did well with what he had (inconsistent blocking).

The Good:
    He picked up positive yardage on most plays, ran well out of the shotgun which should be important moving forward. Also had a very nice play on a screen pass.

The Bad:
    Still the worst pass blocking back in NFL history, 2 fumbles, worthless out of the I.

I don't understand why Charles only had 2 carries. The guy had over 100 yards a couple weeks ago against a top run D. I'd like to see a 50/50 split in the future, with Charles being in every single play that involves blocking. I'd also like to see them do away with the I-Formation completely because it hasn't worked all season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast