Thread: McNabb didn't know overtime games can result in a tie

Default McNabb didn't know overtime games can result in a tie

Did you hear about this? The Eagles and Bengals went into overtime yesterday and, since a quarter went by without either team scoring, the game ended in a tie. But Donovan McNabb didn't know that a tie would happen. He said he wasn't aware of that rule. He thought the game just keeps going until someone scores. But of course that only applies to playoff games.

Now I despise the Eagles and Donovan McNabb. But my bias aside, isn't this pretty bad that a qb in the NFL didn't know this rule? This is the way it's always been since overtime began around 1974 or 1975. And the last tie was in 2002, between the Steelers and Falcons. Donovan has even been playing in the NFL since 1999 or 2000, well before that last tie! The fact that a couch potato football spectator like me and many others know that there is only one overtime quarter played for regular season games, and a multi million dollar paid NFL star doesn't just seems really pathetic to me.

This is a funny paragraph from a story about this:

"What did Donovan think that "T" section in the standings was next to the "W" and "L"? Was he confused when he had to run a hurry up offense with two minutes left? And in 2002, when his team played the 9-6-1 Falcons in the playoffs, did McNabb think those numbers represented the Atlanta area code?"

Yeah really! Duh Donovan!

Well one is never too old to learn...unless you're Herm.

I dont really blame him for not knowing because the OT rules are LAME!!!

Needs to be more like college. Put both these teams on the 25 and let em duke it out. But if it goes into double OT, just put them at the 35 and give each kicker 5 shots, best of 5 wins.

Make em duke it out. 10 rounds of bare knuckle boxing!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I like it the way it is now. Before overtime there was too many ties. With an overtime quarter the vast majority of games get decided. Ties are rare. And ties also make it easier for the headache at the end of the season of trying to determine who wins the tiebreaks over who (a team that finishes 9-6-1, for example, won't have other 9-6-1 teams to determine who won more divisional games, conference games, etc).

Btw, a lot of Eagle fans here were not as lenient on McNabb as you guys. And a lot want McNabb gone next year, as well as Andy Reid. But that sentiment's been here for a couple years now. This latest McNabb gaffe just added more fuel to that fire.

It still boggles my mind that an NFL veteran starting quarterback didn't know a tie results after one overtime quarter in regular season games.

I like college rules for ties. If we didn't have to flip a coin maybe Herm would not have gone for it against SD and then we wouldn't have to have read 42 threads about going for it or not!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I like college rules for ties. If we didn't have to flip a coin maybe Herm would not have gone for it against SD and then we wouldn't have to have read 42 threads about going for it or not!!

Quote Originally Posted by IlovetheChiefs View Post