Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who say Thigpen is not the QB of the future...

Default For those who say Thigpen is not the QB of the future...

Why are some people so quick to give Tyler the title of out back qb of the future? Over the past few weeks he has been one of the top QBs in the league just second in QB rating behind Warner. He is getting in good rhythm with Bowe, Bradley, TG, and Cottam. Only Peyton had thrown for more TD's than Tyler has in the past few games, yet I see people saying, yeah he will be nice to have while we groom a rookie into our franchise QB? I am not saying dont draft a QB...I am just curious what I am missing, what is Tyler lacking which will prohibit him from being our QB of the future? He is still young...and sure he has not won yet, but given the lack of chemistry around him, it is pretty impressive what he has done thus far?

So...what skill does Tyler lack that prohibits him from being our QB of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    Why are some people so quick to give Tyler the title of out back qb of the future? Over the past few weeks he has been one of the top QBs in the league just second in QB rating behind Warner. He is getting in good rhythm with Bowe, Bradley, TG, and Cottam. Only Peyton had thrown for more TD's than Tyler has in the past few games, yet I see people saying, yeah he will be nice to have while we groom a rookie into our franchise QB? I am not saying dont draft a QB...I am just curious what I am missing, what is Tyler lacking which will prohibit him from being our QB of the future? He is still young...and sure he has not won yet, but given the lack of chemistry around him, it is pretty impressive what he has done thus far?

So...what skill does Tyler lack that prohibits him from being our QB of the future?
    I'm hesitant to proclaim him the QB of the future until I see him in a real offense. Right now, we're playing in the spread, which is Tyler's strength. Unfortunately, although it's kept us in games, this offense has also hurt us, as we run out of steam in the 2nd half of games on both sides of the ball. We can't run a NFL offense right now because our line is so bad.

Really, I don't see a downside with drafting a QB high (either 1st or 2nd round) and sitting him behind Tyler for a couple years. If Tyler turns out to be the QB of the future, we have the happy accident of two NFL worthy QBs on the roster, and we trade one. If either Tyler or our drafted QB turn out to be a bust or backup at best, then we are covered.

At the very least, we can start Tyler through 2010 (assuming he doesn't start sucking), and sit our rookie for a couple years behind him.

You said it yourself.......He still hasn't won a game!!!! That is MY main reason for not giving him the QBOTF title yet. Yes, he has looked good over the last several weeks and I do hope he continue's to do so but the bottom line is wins. He has the potential to go 0 for 11 I think it is. His O line has played better for him, he has the best TE in the league and he has a decent WR to throw to. I realize his running game has been crap but with the tools he has, he needs to win a game or two before I give him the keys to the car!!

Ya Im not saying he IS the qbotf....I am just curious why some people are already saying he is not. He has not played a full season and already there are people saying that he is not it.

There also seems to be this assumption that whatever we QB we do end up drafting WILL be the qbotf...Many assuming whoever we draft WILL be the next Matt Ryan. Look how BC did for us....he never completed a full NFL game this season...What if we draft another BC? I say lets not be picky...Minnesota is going to be in need of a QB...wonder if they are regretting their move moving the Thig now?

I'm with ya! I was one who said Croyle may have been one of the worst picks in team history!!!!! I think he has earned the right to start the rest of the season obviously but lets see who is available come draft day. It would be tough for me to pass on Harrell or Tebow if either were available. Maybe even Bradford. Not saying they will be the best players in the draft but when you have a team that has NEVER had a young QB with upside potential, when rebuilding it would be tough to pass on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    I'm with ya! I was one who said Croyle may have been one of the worst picks in team history!!!!! I think he has earned the right to start the rest of the season obviously but lets see who is available come draft day. It would be tough for me to pass on Harrell or Tebow if either were available. Maybe even Bradford. Not saying they will be the best players in the draft but when you have a team that has NEVER had a young QB with upside potential, when rebuilding it would be tough to pass on either.
    Tebow? Seriously? ROFL! That dude is crap.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

If you draft a QB in the first round (which the Chiefs wont do), you have to pay him first round money. If Thigpen continues to play this good, which I expect him to, then you have a big money guy sitting on the sideline. I think the spread offense is the reason people arent sold on Thiggy. That is not the only time he succeds though. He had 3 first down throws last week behind center, in one of them he stepped up very nicely in the pocket. I love this kid and think that he will be great! With that said. We need to draft a QB in the 2nd or third round next year. Whats funny is that alot of the players that are projected in those rounds play out of the spread.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post

A perfect example of a post best stated in the thread originally calling for Thigpen to be the QBOTF instead of starting a whole new thread in which to debate the exact same subject.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/sh...hlight=Thigpen

That is all.

Last edited by Chiefster; 11-20-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    If you draft a QB in the first round (which the Chiefs wont do), you have to pay him first round money. If Thigpen continues to play this good, which I expect him to, then you have a big money guy sitting on the sideline. I think the spread offense is the reason people arent sold on Thiggy. That is not the only time he succeds though. He had 3 first down throws last week behind center, in one of them he stepped up very nicely in the pocket. I love this kid and think that he will be great! With that said. We need to draft a QB in the 2nd or third round next year. Whats funny is that alot of the players that are projected in those rounds play out of the spread.
    That's a good point, BDT. And even better, it opens up a wider range of options for the Chiefs in terms of drafting a QB.
    I'm going to say it right now; I have nothing but faith in Chan Gailey. I think he can work damn near any kind of show, with any kind of QB.
    I'm still high on Sanchez because no matter where I go online, people will bag on or support Stafford, Bradford, Tebow, or Harrell; but there's never a strong campaign against Mark. Disinterest perhaps, but never straight-up vitriol.
    He's got great fundamentals, and the super-hype around his draft competition could possibly put him in perfect placement for the Chiefs in terms money and risk.
    But man, we need a Pass-Rush so bad it isn't even funny. If we walked away from this draft with James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga, or a combo of Rey Maualuga and Brian Orakpo at DE, you'd never hear another "Defensive Pitch-a-B*tch" out of my mouth ever again.

And in the case of lines both defensive AND offensive, it's time to start looking at FA; there's no getting around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    And in the case of lines both defensive AND offensive, it's time to start looking at FA; there's no getting around it.
    Win. Every *great* team is peppered with veterans, and a "youth movement" doesn't mean you can't have SOME good, older players. They can play, and they can TEACH.

We've got the friggin' cap room... we can spend money on one solid player on either side of the line and still have plenty of cash to work with for signing rookies this off-season... and probably still have plenty of money after that. There's no reason not to, really.

And for God's sakes, lets get James Laurinitis. His dad was Road Warrior Animal for crying out loud! :-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast