Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Herm quote to date

Default Best Herm quote to date

Chiefs don’t want to stumble the way they did after previous win

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The last time the Chiefs won a game, they responded by going into a virtual coma. They followed their first win, a 33-19 beating of Denver in September, with their worst games of the season in blowout losses to Carolina and Tennessee.
    Sunday delivered their second win, this one against the Raiders in Oakland. Coach Herm Edwards said he will make it a “big-time” point of emphasis to see that the Chiefs respond better this week than they did after their last victory.
    The Chiefs get a rematch with the 7-5 Broncos on Sunday, this time in Denver.
    “Hopefully, they learned their lesson from the Carolina experience,” Edwards said, referring to a 34-0 loss in which the Chiefs were never competitive.
    “The one thing this league teaches you: It’s not who you play. It’s how you play the day you play them. You prepare every week, and you go in and play. If you play your game, you’ve got a shot. That’s what I hoped they learned.”
    Edwards said he didn’t get despondent over the Chiefs’ last defeat, a 54-31 debacle against Buffalo, because of the game’s circumstances. The Chiefs committed five turnovers, the Bills none.
    “That’s why I didn’t look at last week’s loss as a setback,” Edwards said. “It was more that we didn’t play our game. We turned the ball over five times. We can’t do that against anybody. We’re not good enough. That’s what I kept telling our guys.”
    Guard Brian Waters was outspoken after the loss in Carolina, saying it was the result of a young team thinking the previous week’s win over Denver solved all its problems.
    Edwards said Monday that, looking back, he agreed with Waters.
    “That was our youth,” Edwards said. “We had beaten a good team in Denver, an undefeated team.
    “Now, we get to play them again. They’re first in the division, and they’ll probably win the division. How are we going to handle that? When you’re coaching a young team and building a young team, that’s the next challenge you put in front of them.”
    Asked how he thought the 2-10 Chiefs would respond, Edwards chuckled, indicating his uncertainty. The results of their games usually haven’t been surprising, but their level of competitiveness has been difficult to predict from week to week.
    The Chiefs, for instance, thought they had matured and improved greatly after their previous win over the Broncos, who were then 3-0. That’s why the Carolina and Tennessee losses were so disappointing.
    “I think they’ll respond,” Edwards said less than confidently, before adding, “They’ve got to know the only reason we beat them last time is that they turned the ball over.”
    The Chiefs intercepted Jay Cutler twice and recovered two Denver fumbles. Larry Johnson had his best game of the season, rushing for 198 yards and two touchdowns.
    But the Chiefs haven’t won in Denver since the new Mile High Stadium was opened in 2001. The Chiefs last won there in 2000, when they were coached by Gunther Cunningham.
    “We’re going to a tough spot,” Edwards said. “We know that.”
    A lot of the Chiefs, though, don’t know the history. The team will take 17 rookies to Denver this weekend.
    This should be the Chiefs’ most difficult game of their remaining four. Home games with 4-8 San Diego and 7-5 Miami follow. The Chiefs finish the season at Cincinnati, currently 1-10-1.
    By beating the Raiders, the Chiefs fell behind the Bengals in the order of next year’s draft. Edwards indicated that winning as many of the last four games as possible would do a lot more for the Chiefs than just ruining their draft position.
    “To be in a position to be going (upward) when the season ends … most of this group will be back,” he said. “This is the core of the football team. They’ll be together for the next five years, and now they’ve got experience.
    “You want them to have the experience, but you want them to keep winning. They know how hard it is to win.”

After the Atlanta game, Herm stated that Thigpen is going to get himself killed by running the ball so much. After last week, he applauded Thigpen for running the ball and making it smart decision instead of throwing. Then he added that they intentionally ran a QB draw on one of the plays.

So what changed Herm????? Other than you just running your mouth not even aware that people do listen to you and they are catching you lie, contradicting yourslef and just basically blah blah blah....

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    After the Atlanta game, Herm stated that Thigpen is going to get himself killed by running the ball so much. After last week, he applauded Thigpen for running the ball and making it smart decision instead of throwing. Then he added that they intentionally ran a QB draw on one of the plays.

So what changed Herm????? Other than you just running your mouth not even aware that people do listen to you and they are catching you lie, contradicting yourslef and just basically blah blah blah....
    Would we expect anything less from our fearless leader. I am sure he is going to say that, if he hasn't already, it was his choice to run a spread, after years of the run, run, run, pass scheme he was so heralded for.

Herm for Mayor...who's with me.

to all the newxomers, I am kidding, I don't like Herm.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Not at all. But I wouldn't tell my team that.

I would tell them that other teams have done it.
    It doesn't surprise me that Herm would say this; he's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nel Toille View Post
    ... We’re not good enough. That’s what I kept telling our guys...
    Did anyone remind him that it was HIS idea to start over from scratch!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Those other teams probably would've had the talent and depth to do so. He was right. This team isn't good enough to do that.
    He forgets that the chiefs are snot nosed KIDS. That reverse psychology is only going to do the opposite on them; the chiefs are fresh out of college, some still having a problem being away from their mommy.
    Quote Originally Posted by IlovetheChiefs View Post
    Here's from his latest press conference:

"It'd be kind of interesting if you can win two in a row. That'd be kind of fun."

Oh brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    Has Herm ever won 2 in a row before?
    When he was in college? I imagine his coach did his best to glue hermie's butt to bench.
    We all realise what herm was trying to say but my point is saying that you tell your team that they're not good enough in any regard is a bit ridiculous. Even if the quote isn't taken out of context, I think it's absurd.
    Yep, Hermie is Miss Positive. The chiefs need pep talks by someone who wants them to win as much as they do, not a downer talk about how bad they are.
    I really believe that if a team really believes that they will win, they WILL win. You know something? Last year's pro-bowl ballot I didn't vote for very many chiefs because the chiefs didn't have anyone that was any good except for TG, and maybe LJ. Back then the chiefs didn't believe they could be winners.
    You're right. This team doesn't need any confidence. Just squash that right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Ha, and don't forget that on Sunday, Herm credited his coaching staff for the win.. not the players.

Of course, whenever we lose, it's "Well, we had some injuries" or "our guys just couldn't get the job done".

Passing the buck on the losses and hogging the glory for a win? Hmm.. it almost sounds like Herm's trying to cover his @$$... maybe (just MAYBE) his job security ain't what we thought it was.
    It was the players that won, not the coaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

Perhaps he is trying to become positive?
    Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Would we expect anything less from our fearless leader. I am sure he is going to say that, if he hasn't already, it was his choice to run a spread, after years of the run, run, run, pass scheme he was so heralded for.

Herm for Mayor...who's with me.

to all the newxomers, I am kidding, I don't like Herm.
    Hermie for Mayor? I think of millions of ways how he could screw up a city.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post

Hermie for Mayor? I think of millions of ways how he could screw up a city.
    I can just imagine the headlines...

"Mayor Edwards terminates every member of the KC workforce over the age of 30; insists the community needs a 'youth movement'"

Thumbs down

This thread is a joke. You guys will try to pull and twist anything this guy says for sh!t talking purposes. Personally, I dont think he's our future after next season (he's here next year WITH Carl, whether we like it or not), but I do think that he has done an good job the past 5 weeks with what he's working with. We've had situations where our center got injured and our backup guard who was filling in for his injured starter had to play center..... and then our backup tackle had to play guard. Thats just one ridiculous example. How about our D-line injuries? We're starting a defensive end that we signed 2 weeks ago. We've had 4 linebacker injuries. Rocky Boiman started at Middle last week! We had corners that we were picking up off the street and starting because we were so injured. The Chiefs are showing major improvement and all you ever hear from this Forum his how much you guys hate them! What, who said we hate them? You might as well! The fact that Im sticking up for Herm "punt it" Edwards, pisses me off, but thier is nothing worse than you guys READING his press conferences and then picking out little quotes and trashing him for it! If you watched the Conference like I do, you would have seen that when he was saying: "I KEEP TELLING OUR GUYS THAT WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" HE WAS REFFERING TO TURNING THE BALL OVER! We are not good enough to turn the ball over 5 times and still win (and yes some teams are, maybe not 5, but thats not his point.). Who disagrees with that! If I see another quote cut in half and then bashed Im gonna puke all over my keyboard! After Atlanta: "IF THIGPEN CONTINUES TO RUN AROUND LIKE THAT, HES GONNA GET HIMSELF KILLED" and now he loves his play making ability, what a hipocrite! NO DUMMY! If he keeps running "LIKE THAT" (without protecting himself) then he is gonna get killed! "It'd be kind of interesting if you can win two in a row. That'd be kind of fun." OK, He's obviously trying to tone down his excitment considering hes coaching 21 year olds. If you watched his press conference, you wouldn't have even thought twice about that quote. But when you read: "it... would.... be.... kinda fun. Of coarse your gonna think its stupid, ecspecially when your dying to find anything negative about this guy. I went from posting something everyday, to every week and now I might check this site out once every couple weeks, because it's a DRAG!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Okay, Big Daddy Tek, settle down. This thread isn't meant to be taken seriously. We all know what he meant when he said that. I support Herm more than you'd think but you have to admit that he says some ridiculous stuff sometimes. The fact that he said "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys" is funny. He could have easily said something like "this team is too inexperienced to overcome mistakes" and it would have sounded better. I'm not really trying to bring down the guy or anything.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Tek - If you are looking for ruthless and unwarranted optimism, may I recommend kcchiefs.com??

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I went from posting something everyday, to every week and now I might check this site out once every couple weeks, because it's a DRAG!
    What is it that makes it so tough to ignore some mild nit-picking of a coach that has already worn-out his welcome with most fans?

Is it mis-guided? Sure. A little bit.

But it seems like all you do is huff and puff about the fans who are expressing unhappiness about having such an unsuccessful team.

I would think that some ire could be expected. I would think that slight over-reaction to some quotes might also be expected, when the team is setting records for being the worst of all-time.

I just don't see how you can be so forgiving to 2-10, with the fewest sacks of any team since the stat has been recorded, while so spiteful of fans who are upset about it.

What is it that makes it so tough to ignore some mild nit-picking of a coach that has already worn-out his welcome with most fans?

Is it mis-guided? Sure. A little bit.

But it seems like all you do is huff and puff about the fans who are expressing unhappiness about having such an unsuccessful team.

I would think that some ire could be expected. I would think that slight over-reaction to some quotes might also be expected, when the team is setting records for being the worst of all-time.

I just don't see how you can be so forgiving to 2-10, with the fewest sacks of any team since the stat has been recorded, while so spiteful of fans who are upset about it.
    You call this mild nit-picking? And Im not forgiving at all about 2-10. But that doesnt mean I'm gonna make this guy sound like a complete knumbskull. If you know about Herm and his career, you know that he has been very good at what he does. Pro Bowl Corner, Chiefs Defensive Scout when we had some of the best defense's we've ever had, Super Bowl player, the only coach to ever take the Jets to 3 straight playoff runs, one of 2 coaches to ever take 2 teams to the playoffs in his first year (along with Bill Parcells, good company?.) What I think is that Herm got himself into a position that he cant get out of. The coach that was gonna take over the decrepid dinosaurs that were on this team was gonna have to be an elite, one of kind, guru. Herm was not a good choice. His first year I thought we made the playoffs by his coaching alone! Damon Huard was our starting QB for most of the year, Willie Roaf just retired, Eddie was injured and Samie was dropping everything under the sun. Not to mention our offensive coordinator was Mike "Im sorry" Solari. Dick Vermeil won 1 more game than Herm did the previous year with Al Saunders and a MUCH better scenario. You guys cant deny NONE of that! But what happened after that, was the old team starting falling apart and our football coach, who doesnt know much more than how to actually COACH, did not know how to pull this thing together. Thats what happened. Is he the future? NO. Was he the right hire? NO. Is He an idiot that cant coach? Absolutly not.

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Tek - If you are looking for ruthless and unwarranted optimism, may I recommend kcchiefs.com??

Okay, Big Daddy Tek, settle down. This thread isn't meant to be taken seriously. We all know what he meant when he said that. I support Herm more than you'd think but you have to admit that he says some ridiculous stuff sometimes. The fact that he said "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys" is funny. He could have easily said something like "this team is too inexperienced to overcome mistakes" and it would have sounded better. I'm not really trying to bring down the guy or anything.
    That is a very good point on the verbage used.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast