Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Herm quote to date

Default Best Herm quote to date

Chiefs don’t want to stumble the way they did after previous win

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The last time the Chiefs won a game, they responded by going into a virtual coma. They followed their first win, a 33-19 beating of Denver in September, with their worst games of the season in blowout losses to Carolina and Tennessee.
    Sunday delivered their second win, this one against the Raiders in Oakland. Coach Herm Edwards said he will make it a “big-time” point of emphasis to see that the Chiefs respond better this week than they did after their last victory.
    The Chiefs get a rematch with the 7-5 Broncos on Sunday, this time in Denver.
    “Hopefully, they learned their lesson from the Carolina experience,” Edwards said, referring to a 34-0 loss in which the Chiefs were never competitive.
    “The one thing this league teaches you: It’s not who you play. It’s how you play the day you play them. You prepare every week, and you go in and play. If you play your game, you’ve got a shot. That’s what I hoped they learned.”
    Edwards said he didn’t get despondent over the Chiefs’ last defeat, a 54-31 debacle against Buffalo, because of the game’s circumstances. The Chiefs committed five turnovers, the Bills none.
    “That’s why I didn’t look at last week’s loss as a setback,” Edwards said. “It was more that we didn’t play our game. We turned the ball over five times. We can’t do that against anybody. We’re not good enough. That’s what I kept telling our guys.”
    Guard Brian Waters was outspoken after the loss in Carolina, saying it was the result of a young team thinking the previous week’s win over Denver solved all its problems.
    Edwards said Monday that, looking back, he agreed with Waters.
    “That was our youth,” Edwards said. “We had beaten a good team in Denver, an undefeated team.
    “Now, we get to play them again. They’re first in the division, and they’ll probably win the division. How are we going to handle that? When you’re coaching a young team and building a young team, that’s the next challenge you put in front of them.”
    Asked how he thought the 2-10 Chiefs would respond, Edwards chuckled, indicating his uncertainty. The results of their games usually haven’t been surprising, but their level of competitiveness has been difficult to predict from week to week.
    The Chiefs, for instance, thought they had matured and improved greatly after their previous win over the Broncos, who were then 3-0. That’s why the Carolina and Tennessee losses were so disappointing.
    “I think they’ll respond,” Edwards said less than confidently, before adding, “They’ve got to know the only reason we beat them last time is that they turned the ball over.”
    The Chiefs intercepted Jay Cutler twice and recovered two Denver fumbles. Larry Johnson had his best game of the season, rushing for 198 yards and two touchdowns.
    But the Chiefs haven’t won in Denver since the new Mile High Stadium was opened in 2001. The Chiefs last won there in 2000, when they were coached by Gunther Cunningham.
    “We’re going to a tough spot,” Edwards said. “We know that.”
    A lot of the Chiefs, though, don’t know the history. The team will take 17 rookies to Denver this weekend.
    This should be the Chiefs’ most difficult game of their remaining four. Home games with 4-8 San Diego and 7-5 Miami follow. The Chiefs finish the season at Cincinnati, currently 1-10-1.
    By beating the Raiders, the Chiefs fell behind the Bengals in the order of next year’s draft. Edwards indicated that winning as many of the last four games as possible would do a lot more for the Chiefs than just ruining their draft position.
    “To be in a position to be going (upward) when the season ends … most of this group will be back,” he said. “This is the core of the football team. They’ll be together for the next five years, and now they’ve got experience.
    “You want them to have the experience, but you want them to keep winning. They know how hard it is to win.”

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    You call this mild nit-picking? And Im not forgiving at all about 2-10. But that doesnt mean I'm gonna make this guy sound like a complete knumbskull. If you know about Herm and his career, you know that he has been very good at what he does. Pro Bowl Corner, Chiefs Defensive Scout when we had some of the best defense's we've ever had, Super Bowl player, the only coach to ever take the Jets to 3 straight playoff runs, one of 2 coaches to ever take 2 teams to the playoffs in his first year (along with Bill Parcells, good company?.) What I think is that Herm got himself into a position that he cant get out of. The coach that was gonna take over the decrepid dinosaurs that were on this team was gonna have to be an elite, one of kind, guru. Herm was not a good choice. His first year I thought we made the playoffs by his coaching alone! Damon Huard was our starting QB for most of the year, Willie Roaf just retired, Eddie was injured and Samie was dropping everything under the sun. Not to mention our offensive coordinator was Mike "Im sorry" Solari. Dick Vermeil won 1 more game than Herm did the previous year with Al Saunders and a MUCH better scenario. You guys cant deny NONE of that! But what happened after that, was the old team starting falling apart and our football coach, who doesnt know much more than how to actually COACH, did not know how to pull this thing together. Thats what happened. Is he the future? NO. Was he the right hire? NO. Is He an idiot that cant coach? Absolutly not.
    Well.....

He actually took a team that Parcells made, to two consecutive playoffs. Not three.

From there, he took that team to the cellar.

Same with The Chiefs. Took over a good team, and benefited from it.

That doesn't make him good at much, but monitoring someone elses team for a season.

I haven't had the opportunity to say it in a while, but I like Herm Edwards. I just can't stand him as my teams head coach.

But I do deny that he is a good coach. He has had two good teams and ran both of them to the cellar.

Scout? Sure. Friendly guy? Yup. Coach? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well.....

He actually took a team that Parcells made, to two consecutive playoffs. Not three.

From there, he took that team to the cellar.

Same with The Chiefs. Took over a good team, and benefited from it.

That doesn't make him good at much, but monitoring someone elses team for a season.

I haven't had the opportunity to say it in a while, but I like Herm Edwards. I just can't stand him as my teams head coach.

But I do deny that he is a good coach. He has had two good teams and ran both of them to the cellar.

Scout? Sure. Friendly guy? Yup. Coach? Nope.
    Thats why its good to be an American. Your full of sh!t and Im full of sh!t. But we have the right to be!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123