Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derrick Johnson moving to MLB

Default Derrick Johnson moving to MLB

I just heard that they are moving DJ to MLB. Partly because he hasnt done much at OLB and partly because our MLB havent gotten it done. I hope this works out well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    I dont know. I remember when we drafted him everybody was going on bout how fast he was. He should be best at OLB.

But, we shall see. Lets hope it works.
    The big Knock on DJ when we drafted him was that he ran around blockers and used his speed to beat up college players, but that he needed to take on blockers in the NFL. Which I think he does just fine, but I am not sure I want him in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Might be planning to go to a 3-4 next year and move Tamba to rushing LB... and they are trying to get DJ some experience playing ILB.

I personally think this is a very stupid move. The guy destoys passes to the flats, to TE, and on screens. They are taking a stenght on this defense and Focking with it. Maybe they are thinking it is easier to find an OLB in the draft than there is a MLB and they are hoping he could become a good MLB.
    While I agree that it is easier to draft an OLB than an ILB, I don't think that has much to do with this choice. I think it comes down to making Derrick Johnson break out. We all knows he good, doing great things, but we expect more consistancy. He is our best tackler so putting him in the middle should help the run defense. And I don't think it takes away from him stopping the screen and such. I'm willing to give him a chance since this season is pretty much over. Hey, the coaches may have stumbled on something great. If not, he'll be back on the ouside next season.

And 3-4 defense is not bad. With the right coaching (Bill Cowher), the Chiefs could easily convert and become more productive. However, I doubt we will change unless there are coaching changes. With that said, Tamba would still play DE in a 3-4. He's not fast enough to play linebacker. But I wouldn't mind picking up a guy like Terrell Suggs this offseason and moving him back to DE.

I THINK HE'LL DO GREAT THERE...once he gets used to it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12