Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: schedule and draft position

Default schedule and draft position

You can pretty much guess with the Chiefs remaining schedule:

@Denver
    San Diego
    Miami
    @Cincinatti

that the Chiefs will probably win AT LEAST one more game @Cincinatti. You hope they could get one more at home, but with San Diego fighting for a playoff spot after the rout of Oakland thursday and with Miami fighting for a playoff spot as well, neither of those games look winnable. It would be nice to sweep Denver, but they too are fighting for a playoff spot at home.

So, with that said, the Chiefs will probably go into the draft 3-13.

What sucks about that is that there are SO many awful teams this year and that horrible record will probably land us 5th or 6th in the draft.

When you look at Detroit's schedule:
    Vikings, Colts, Saints and Packers
    They're not gonna win another game and go down in history as historically THE WORST team EVER in a single season and will ALWAYS be at the very least, tied for that distinction. 0-16

The Bengals' schedule is favorable for a couple wins at the end of the season:
    Colts, Redskins, Browns, Chiefs
    They could end up 3-12-1 if they can knock off the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they get one of them and if it happens to be the Chiefs, they'd win the tie-breaker which slides them past the Chiefs. I think they'll end up 2-13-1 with a win over the QBless Browns.

The Rams have a favorable schedule to put a couple more in the win column as well.
    Cardinals, Seahawks, 49ers and Falcons
    Actually, never mind. They might give the Seahawks a game, but I think the Hawks are better. The 49ers are playing a little better now and the Falcons and Cards are playoff bound. They'll sit at 2-14.

The Seahawks' schedule sets up for a couple wins at the end of the season also:
    Pats, Rams, Jets and Cards
    Well, it sets up for one win anyway.
    3-13

Oakland's schedule MIGHT get them one more win:
    Patriots, Texans, Buccaneers
    But i doubt it. I think the Texans' defense is too much for Oakland.
    3-13 (not sure who gets the tie-breaker with KC)

Ultimately, we're looking at a draft order:
    Lions 0-16
    Rams 2-14
    Bengals 2-13-1
    Seahawks 3-13 (coin flip)
    Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
    Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

The Chiefs will have beat the Bengals to get to 3-13 which drops the Chiefs and everyone else below them. Then the Raiders split with the Chiefs in head to head. Not sure if common opponents comes into play, but if it did, the Raiders would slide past the Chiefs into 6th because they beat the Broncos AND the Jets. The Chiefs' only other victory would be against the Bengals and they wouldn't factor in.

The Raiders and the Seahawks have one common opponent in the Jets. The Raiders have beat them and I predict the Seahawks will lose to them in a couple weeks. That would put Oakland in 6th definitively.

Now it comes down to the Seahawks and Chiefs. There are no common opponents which I THINK turns the pick into a coin flip for the 4th & 5th spot. The Chiefs lost the coin flip last season, they're due. lol

That puts the Chiefs at #4.

Who do we take assuming:
    QB Mathew Stafford
    OT Michael Oher
    OT Andre Smith

...are taken ahead of us?

The two best DEs in the draft are:
    Brian Orakpo
    Michael Johnson

The 2nd and 3rd best QBs are:
    Bradford (soph)
    McCoy (Junior)

The best WR is obviously Crabtree

The best OLBs are:
    Aaron Curry
    Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
    James Laurinaitis
    Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
    Malcom Jenkins
    Vontae Davis

The 3rd and 4th best OTs are:
    Eugene Monroe
    Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
    Duke Robinson
    Herman Johnson

In my opinion, unless the Chiefs take Michael Crabtree at #4, the Chiefs will be reaching for any other player. I think Crabtree would represent the greatest value at the 4th pick. The problem the Chiefs will have is do they draft the best player available or draft for need.

I'd prefer they trade down and grab a DE or LB assuming they don't fill those needs or there isn't a team behind them in desperate need of a DE or LB (depending on who we want).

We need to fill one LB spot in free agency. I think there will be enough talent at LB in this draft to be able to grab one in the 2nd. So, the first pick should go DE with Johnson or Orakpo.
    Last edited by texaschief; 12-05-2008 at 02:35 AM.

I think the Chiefs will take either a LB or DE with the 1st pick. I like the guy out of USC, Rey Maualuga. But it is going to be pretty hard to ignore the obvious lack of pass rush, so I would not be at all surprised to see the Chiefs take the best DE on the board with their first pick. Then a LB, then an OG or RT.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post

@Denver
    San Diego
    Miami
    @Cincinatti

that the Chiefs will probably win AT LEAST one more game @Cincinatti. You hope they could get one more at home, but with San Diego fighting for a playoff spot after the rout of Oakland thursday and with Miami fighting for a playoff spot as well, neither of those games look winnable. It would be nice to sweep Denver, but they too are fighting for a playoff spot at home.

What sucks about that is that there are SO many awful teams this year and that horrible record will probably land us 5th or 6th in the draft.

They're not gonna win another game and go down in history as historically THE WORST team EVER in a single season and will ALWAYS be at the very least, tied for that distinction. 0-16

They could end up 3-12-1 if they can knock off the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they get one of them and if it happens to be the Chiefs, they'd win the tie-breaker which slides them past the Chiefs. I think they'll end up 2-13-1 with a win over the QBless Browns.

The Rams have a favorable schedule to put a couple more in the win column as well.
    Actually, never mind. They might give the Seahawks a game, but I think the Hawks are better. The 49ers are playing a little better now and the Falcons and Cards are playoff bound. They'll sit at 2-14.

3-13

Lions 0-16
    Rams 2-14
    Bengals 2-13-1
    Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
    Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

The Chiefs will have beat the Bengals to get to 3-13 which drops the Chiefs and everyone else below them. Then the Raiders split with the Chiefs in head to head. Not sure if common opponents comes into play, but if it did, the Raiders would slide past the Chiefs into 6th because they beat the Broncos AND the Jets. The Chiefs' only other victory would be against the Bengals and they wouldn't factor in.

The Raiders and the Seahawks have one common opponent in the Jets. The Raiders have beat them and I predict the Seahawks will lose to them in a couple weeks. That would put Oakland in 6th definitively.

Now it comes down to the Seahawks and Chiefs. There are no common opponents which I THINK turns the pick into a coin flip for the 4th & 5th spot. The Chiefs lost the coin flip last season, they're due. lol

Who do we take assuming:
    QB Mathew Stafford
    OT Michael Oher
    OT Andre Smith

Brian Orakpo
    Michael Johnson

Bradford (soph)
    McCoy (Junior)

The best OLBs are:
    Aaron Curry
    Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
    James Laurinaitis
    Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
    Malcom Jenkins
    Vontae Davis

Eugene Monroe
    Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
    Duke Robinson
    Herman Johnson

In my opinion, unless the Chiefs take Michael Crabtree at #4, the Chiefs will be reaching for any other player. I think Crabtree would represent the greatest value at the 4th pick. The problem the Chiefs will have is do they draft the best player available or draft for need.

I'd prefer they trade down and grab a DE or LB assuming they don't fill those needs or there isn't a team behind them in desperate need of a DE or LB (depending on who we want).

We need to fill one LB spot in free agency. I think there will be enough talent at LB in this draft to be able to grab one in the 2nd. So, the first pick should go DE with Johnson or Orakpo.

They might not have the record "forever", remember they are talking about an 18 game schedule.

@Denver
    San Diego
    Miami
    @Cincinatti

3-13

Lions 0-16
    Rams 2-14
    Bengals 2-13-1
    Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
    Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

Who do we take assuming:
    QB Mathew Stafford
    OT Michael Oher
    OT Andre Smith

Brian Orakpo
    Michael Johnson

Bradford (soph)
    McCoy (Junior)

The best OLBs are:
    Aaron Curry
    Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
    James Laurinaitis
    Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
    Malcom Jenkins
    Vontae Davis

Eugene Monroe
    Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
    Duke Robinson
    Herman Johnson

Assuming we get the 6th pick:

I agree that Detroit takes Stafford and the Rams take Andre Smith.

Given how bad the Bengals D is, I'd be shocked if they don't go defense with their first pick. Orakpo would be my pick if I were them.

I think Seattle takes Crabtree, given their miserable WR corps. If not, I'll go with Michael Johnson here. They have Walter Jones at LT, so Oher is out.

Raiders could take anyone. If they go 4th, I think they take Crabtree. If not, I'll go with Michael Johnson here to beef up a pretty shoddy DL. Given the Gallery fiasco, I don't think Davis takes another lineman this high.

If the Chiefs get the 6th spot, the two choices I like best are Rey Maualuga or Oher (I'm not the biggest fan of Laurinaitis). I think Oher is a great pick, but it means moving Albert to RG. I'm OK with this, but I don't think it will happen. I think Rey Maualuga is the best pick and the most likely pick here. He'll get 150+ tackles behind our d-line next year.

We then focus on OL in the 2nd, 3rd, and (if I had my way) 4th/5th rounds.

Who we draft depends on where we end up in the draft. I agree that we need a DE and a LB but neither one of those are worth taking if we are in the top 5. If we are in the top 5, we should take an OT (I'm liking Michael Oher). If we do get the 6th pick in the draft, I think we should take Laurinaitis. I like him over Rey Maualuga because of all the things he can do. Rey has a high motor, good tackler, and that's about it. Laurinaitis has good coverage skills, more speed than Maualuga, and can play inside or outside linebacker.

If we get a DE AND MLB in FA then that opens our pick WAY up.

Between a MLB and Oher at 6th? I say Oher

I would NOT move Albert to RG BUT move him to LG and Waters to RG.

Albert would be a All Pro Guard and I have no problem saying Oher will be a better LT then Albert, just think of those two on the same side.

honestly,

I hope we trade down and get more picks and not reach for any player.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    If we get a DE AND MLB in FA then that opens our pick WAY up.

Between a MLB and Oher at 6th? I say Oher

I would NOT move Albert to RG BUT move him to LG and Waters to RG.

Albert would be a All Pro Guard and I have no problem saying Oher will be a better LT then Albert, just think of those two on the same side.

honestly,

I hope we trade down and get more picks and not reach for any player.
    I agree with you entirely on Oher. I just don't think we'll actually do it, as the current regime seems to think that Albert's the LT of the future.

Problem with MLB is that it's a pretty thin offseason for them. This may be why we're moving DJ over.

We might have a chance at beating Cinci which would place us at possibly third or fourth in line come draft time.

Six sacks guys. we can fill O-line spots later in the draft. You don't get chances to draft franchise DEs too often. Drafting another LT might be relative overkill if there is still a hole at RDE when we draft in April. I understand the problems on the O-line, but there is a bigger problem on the D-line if they finish with only 6 sacks.

Six sacks guys. we can fill O-line spots later in the draft. You don't get chances to draft franchise DEs too often. Drafting another LT might be relative overkill if there is still a hole at RDE when we draft in April. I understand the problems on the O-line, but there is a bigger problem on the D-line if they finish with only 6 sacks.
    Depending on what DJ does, we'll probably end up with around 8 or 9. Freaking horrible.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast