Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: schedule and draft position

Default schedule and draft position

You can pretty much guess with the Chiefs remaining schedule:

@Denver
    San Diego
    Miami
    @Cincinatti

that the Chiefs will probably win AT LEAST one more game @Cincinatti. You hope they could get one more at home, but with San Diego fighting for a playoff spot after the rout of Oakland thursday and with Miami fighting for a playoff spot as well, neither of those games look winnable. It would be nice to sweep Denver, but they too are fighting for a playoff spot at home.

So, with that said, the Chiefs will probably go into the draft 3-13.

What sucks about that is that there are SO many awful teams this year and that horrible record will probably land us 5th or 6th in the draft.

When you look at Detroit's schedule:
    Vikings, Colts, Saints and Packers
    They're not gonna win another game and go down in history as historically THE WORST team EVER in a single season and will ALWAYS be at the very least, tied for that distinction. 0-16

The Bengals' schedule is favorable for a couple wins at the end of the season:
    Colts, Redskins, Browns, Chiefs
    They could end up 3-12-1 if they can knock off the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they get one of them and if it happens to be the Chiefs, they'd win the tie-breaker which slides them past the Chiefs. I think they'll end up 2-13-1 with a win over the QBless Browns.

The Rams have a favorable schedule to put a couple more in the win column as well.
    Cardinals, Seahawks, 49ers and Falcons
    Actually, never mind. They might give the Seahawks a game, but I think the Hawks are better. The 49ers are playing a little better now and the Falcons and Cards are playoff bound. They'll sit at 2-14.

The Seahawks' schedule sets up for a couple wins at the end of the season also:
    Pats, Rams, Jets and Cards
    Well, it sets up for one win anyway.
    3-13

Oakland's schedule MIGHT get them one more win:
    Patriots, Texans, Buccaneers
    But i doubt it. I think the Texans' defense is too much for Oakland.
    3-13 (not sure who gets the tie-breaker with KC)

Ultimately, we're looking at a draft order:
    Lions 0-16
    Rams 2-14
    Bengals 2-13-1
    Seahawks 3-13 (coin flip)
    Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
    Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

The Chiefs will have beat the Bengals to get to 3-13 which drops the Chiefs and everyone else below them. Then the Raiders split with the Chiefs in head to head. Not sure if common opponents comes into play, but if it did, the Raiders would slide past the Chiefs into 6th because they beat the Broncos AND the Jets. The Chiefs' only other victory would be against the Bengals and they wouldn't factor in.

The Raiders and the Seahawks have one common opponent in the Jets. The Raiders have beat them and I predict the Seahawks will lose to them in a couple weeks. That would put Oakland in 6th definitively.

Now it comes down to the Seahawks and Chiefs. There are no common opponents which I THINK turns the pick into a coin flip for the 4th & 5th spot. The Chiefs lost the coin flip last season, they're due. lol

That puts the Chiefs at #4.

Who do we take assuming:
    QB Mathew Stafford
    OT Michael Oher
    OT Andre Smith

...are taken ahead of us?

The two best DEs in the draft are:
    Brian Orakpo
    Michael Johnson

The 2nd and 3rd best QBs are:
    Bradford (soph)
    McCoy (Junior)

The best WR is obviously Crabtree

The best OLBs are:
    Aaron Curry
    Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
    James Laurinaitis
    Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
    Malcom Jenkins
    Vontae Davis

The 3rd and 4th best OTs are:
    Eugene Monroe
    Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
    Duke Robinson
    Herman Johnson

In my opinion, unless the Chiefs take Michael Crabtree at #4, the Chiefs will be reaching for any other player. I think Crabtree would represent the greatest value at the 4th pick. The problem the Chiefs will have is do they draft the best player available or draft for need.

I'd prefer they trade down and grab a DE or LB assuming they don't fill those needs or there isn't a team behind them in desperate need of a DE or LB (depending on who we want).

We need to fill one LB spot in free agency. I think there will be enough talent at LB in this draft to be able to grab one in the 2nd. So, the first pick should go DE with Johnson or Orakpo.
    Last edited by texaschief; 12-05-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    I still vote for drafting an OL and signing a FA to the D-line (any contract hounds know of any big names coming free in that department this off season??)

I'd use my first pick on a linebacker.
    If we can trade down in the first round, I like the idea of taking a linebacker. But if we stay where we are, then take an OT and move Albert to guard.

As far as free agents this next season, I am hoping for Terrell Suggs. He played DE in college and is a great player all around. The only other big name DE for this offseason would be Julius Peppers, but with him turning 29 next season, he does not look as good as Suggs who will only be 26.

As long you dont go into that 6th or later pick I dont think its to big a deal.

If Chiefs had the#1 overall pick last year they still wouldve went with Glenn Dorsey.

So if we have a basic idea of who we want. Chances are we will get him. Whether we get 1st or 5th.

I dont think we will be vying for a QB with anybody (or at least we better not be).

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    As long you dont go into that 6th or later pick I dont think its to big a deal.

If Chiefs had the#1 overall pick last year they still wouldve went with Glenn Dorsey.

So if we have a basic idea of who we want. Chances are we will get him. Whether we get 1st or 5th.

I dont think we will be vying for a QB with anybody (or at least we better not be).
    Yep, I heard in an interview someone had with Carl that he was gonna take Dorsey if he had 1st pick. If this pick fails, it'll define his tenure as GM perfectly.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

they might win 2 more this year. no worse than 5th. with the schedule they have next year and they dont improve, we`ll be flipping a coin with the lions next year for the 1st pick.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

I don't think a LB is worth a top 10 pick unless it's you believe he's Ray Lewis, and I don't see anyone this year of that caliber.

With a pick that high I think you have to focus on the key positions: LT, QB, Shutdown CB, and DE.

The Chiefs seemingly have their answer at CB, and I still think they are satisfied with Albert at LT, so that leaves QB or DE.

Sam Bradford or Michael Johnson would be my vote, in that order.

You all don't really think Thigpen is the answer for the next 10 years do you? Even if he ends up being a pro-bowl QB, there is always room for another QB. Look at Cleveland with Anderson and Quinn, they are both hurt now, and if they really needed to, they could trade one for a hefty price.

Quote Originally Posted by TRB05 View Post
    I don't think a LB is worth a top 10 pick unless it's you believe he's Ray Lewis, and I don't see anyone this year of that caliber.

With a pick that high I think you have to focus on the key positions: LT, QB, Shutdown CB, and DE.

The Chiefs seemingly have their answer at CB, and I still think they are satisfied with Albert at LT, so that leaves QB or DE.

Sam Bradford or Michael Johnson would be my vote, in that order.

You all don't really think Thigpen is the answer for the next 10 years do you? Even if he ends up being a pro-bowl QB, there is always room for another QB. Look at Cleveland with Anderson and Quinn, they are both hurt now, and if they really needed to, they could trade one for a hefty price.
    Please, not Bradford. I don't like him, and you can count on zero fingers the successful OU QBs in the NFL right now. If we draft a QB, it either needs to be Stafford (who will go to Detroit, probably), or it needs to be in the later rounds. I don't think McCoy or Tebow come out this year.

The Chiefs could badly use a pass rusher, but sticking another rookie on the DL won't solve anything. If we sign a premier guy in FA, then I'd be more amenable to drafting a bookend high. Yes, I know this sounds counter-intuative. But, in my opinion, replacing Boone/McBride with a rookie will not improve our DL enough to justify the pick, not when we have so many other needs to fill. If we can sign a legitimate pass rusher to replace Hali, and we draft a guy to replace Boone/McBride, then we are going to see improvement. Otherwise, our rookie gets double teamed while Tank, Dorsey, and Hali get as much pressure as they did this year.

My personal opinion, either trade down, reach a bit for Rey Malagua, or get a LT (Andre Smith or Oher) and move Albert to LG or RG.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Please, not Bradford. I don't like him, and you can count on zero fingers the successful OU QBs in the NFL right now. If we draft a QB, it either needs to be Stafford (who will go to Detroit, probably), or it needs to be in the later rounds. I don't think McCoy or Tebow come out this year.

Well good point because there are soooo many Georgia QBs tearing up the NFL.

The Chiefs could badly use a pass rusher, but sticking another rookie on the DL won't solve anything. If we sign a premier guy in FA, then I'd be more amenable to drafting a bookend high. Yes, I know this sounds counter-intuative. But, in my opinion, replacing Boone/McBride with a rookie will not improve our DL enough to justify the pick, not when we have so many other needs to fill. If we can sign a legitimate pass rusher to replace Hali, and we draft a guy to replace Boone/McBride, then we are going to see improvement. Otherwise, our rookie gets double teamed while Tank, Dorsey, and Hali get as much pressure as they did this year.

My personal opinion, either trade down, reach a bit for Rey Malagua, or get a LT (Andre Smith or Oher) and move Albert to LG or RG.
    Sounds like you are of the philosophy of drafting for need, rather than taking the best player available. I don't agree with that philosophy.

Sounds like you are of the philosophy of drafting for need, rather than taking the best player available. I don't agree with that philosophy.
    OK, the best player available will be Oher (LT) or Andre Smith (LT). Let's draft one and move Albert to guard.

You're right that Georgia isn't exactly a QB factory. That being said, I still don't like Bradford. He has bust written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    OK, the best player available will be Oher (LT) or Andre Smith (LT). Let's draft one and move Albert to guard.

You're right that Georgia isn't exactly a QB factory. That being said, I still don't like Bradford. He has bust written all over him.
    I don't see him as a bust, but we can disagree on that. He is so accurate, but he does play in a system that inflates numbers, and is hard to guage exactly how good he is. He's just so accurate....

I'm all for drafting a OT, let him and Albert fight it out for LT, and put the other at RT, or Albert at OG, whatever, but you can't have enough linemen. I really like the OG out of Oklahoma as well, Duke Robinson, but he can be had in the 2nd if not the 3rd.

I don't see him as a bust, but we can disagree on that. He is so accurate, but he does play in a system that inflates numbers, and is hard to guage exactly how good he is. He's just so accurate....

I'm all for drafting a OT, let him and Albert fight it out for LT, and put the other at RT, or Albert at OG, whatever, but you can't have enough linemen. I really like the OG out of Oklahoma as well, Duke Robinson, but he can be had in the 2nd if not the 3rd.
    I like Robinson too. I've said it elsewhere on this board, but I really believe the Chiefs can use this draft to rebuild their offense to a NFL, top-15 caliber offense. They need to draft OL, RB, WR, and QB. But several of the pieces (TE, WR, maybe QB) are there. I would love for the Chiefs to get Oher with their 1st pick (assuming Stafford/Bradford go to the Lions, and Andre Smith to the Rams at 2, and Oropko/Johnson to the Bengals at 3), and Nate Davis/Josh Freeman in the 2nd. We could then fill in the rest of our OL (depsends on if Waters retires) and othe positions.

I do not think that we can help our defense much with this draft. By my count, we need replacements for 5 of our front 7, and a new FS. We have to go to free agency for at least some of those.

Lets fix what can be fixed through the draft, and not throw picks away on what can't.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast