Thread: Herm Speaks on keeping the spread, DJ at Middle Linebacker and the O-Line

Exclamation Herm Speaks on keeping the spread, DJ at Middle Linebacker and the O-Line

Herm Speaks 12/9

December 9, 2008 - Bob Gretz |
    From Arrowhead Stadium
    There were a lot of questions and a lot of answers in Herm Edwards weekly Tuesday press conference.
    A lot of that questions and discussion centered around the offense and the future of Tyler Thipgen.
    Here are the highlights.
    ON THE FUTURE OF THE SPREAD OFFENSE WITH THE CHIEFS

“We’ve got three weeks to decide. Me personally, I’m kind of leaning towards the way it’s going. I kind of like it, because we are able to control the clock and we are able to run the ball. That’s the whole key. You still have to run the ball in this league. I think we can still run the ball pretty good and we haven’t turned the ball over a lot. We’ve turned it over four times and that’s a good sign.”

Analysis: If the head coach is leaning towards keeping the spread, then what else do we need to know? Nobody is going to overrule Edwards. The Chiefs offense has turned the ball over six times since the Jets game when they went to the spread, that’s four Tyler Thigpen interceptions and two fumbles (Thigpen and Jamaal Charles.) There’s no question that Thigpen’s control of the football has made all the difference in the world. The moment this offense starts turning the ball over, the Chiefs will go back towards a more conventional attack.
    The next three weeks are crucial for the future of the spread offense with the Chiefs. First, it’s the weather; all three of the final games will be played in cold weather. To survive, a team must run the ball and can’t rely just on the pass. Second, now that they’ve played in the spread for seven games, there is plenty of tape for opposing teams to watch. There are fewer and fewer surprises for the opponent. Three, that’s especially true for San Diego, the first Chiefs foe who will see the KC spread for a second time. It’s one thing to watch it on tape; it’s another thing to have experience against the offense in person.
    THE SPREAD AND THE CHIEFS OFFENSIVE LINE

“This offense has really helped our offensive line. I think we’ve only had six sacks since we’ve gone into this. Before it was a bunch more. Since the Jets game it has only been six. It’s helped everybody.

“He’s (quarterback) in shotgun. he’s already standing where he’s going to be. He doesn’t have to drop back. Now it drops a little bit of your play-action stuff out, but he can get rid of the ball and you take people out of the box. That’s kind of helped us.”

Analysis: Herm’s memory of the pass protection in the spread is better than reality; since the Jets game, the Chiefs have allowed 15 sacks in seven games. That’s certainly better protection than what quarterbacks had in the first six games when they were dropped 18 times in the conventional pro-offensive set. Some might think the more mobile Thigpen has helped drop the sack totals. That would be true, but not for the reasons most people think. Mobile quarterbacks tend to get sacked more often than pocket passers. What Thigpen has done is this: when he’s felt the pass rush pressure, he’s taken off on the run; he’s not taken off to pass. Thigpen has tucked the ball and generally made positive yardage. If he was running around back there trying to throw the ball, his sack total would be higher, as would his interception total. There’s no question that the spread leaves running lanes for the quarterback to take off and run.
    ON WHETHER THE FACT HE LIKES THE SPREAD SIGNALS A CHANGE IN THINKING FOR EDWARDS

“There are two things (that make it work for him): as long as you don’t turn it over and you can still run. You’ve got to be able to run the ball, especially now. See the weather out there? You’ve got to be able to run the ball if you are an outdoor team when it’s cold. Somewhere along the line you’ve got to run the football. I still believe when it’s third and two you don’t always have to throw a pass. You’ve got to be able to knock somebody off the ball and make a first down. If you get into the playoffs, I promise you those teams that send up in the final four, those are going to be teams that are physical and can run the football. The team that won the Super Bowl last year (New York Giants) can run the football. I don’t think you can get away from it. ”

COMMENT: If the Chiefs are going to use the spread as their offensive scheme it creates some interesting discussion and contemplation when it comes to the running game, starting with this: does Larry Johnson still fit? Is a big, power back workable in this offense, or should it be smaller, shiftier backs that are as good catching the ball as running. Johnson can still run the ball, but the fact the coaching staff feels they can’t leave him in on obvious passing situations makes his role very limited.
    ON DERRICK JOHNSON’S PLAY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER IN DENVER

“I thought he played pretty well. He did a good job. He’s going to be there for the next three weeks. What it has helped him do, he has to be more focused because he has to make all the checks. He has to set the front. I think that helps him stay in the game. He’s got to get the call and communicate that. He was very good on the sidelines I thought as far as saying ‘hey coach, this is what they are doing, what do you want to do here.’ We haven’t seen that before because he hadn’t been that guy. Now he’s that guy and he’s taken great pride in it. ”

ANALYSIS: D.J. may cement a new contract with the Chiefs if he shows he can play the middle. On the outside, he’s been too inconsistent or he would not have been moved inside. If Johnson shows he can handle the mental aspect of playing the middle, it paints a clearer picture for the Chiefs on their personnel needs for the defense in 2009.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Thanks for the post and link.

If we stick with the Spread and the chiefs plan on getting a QB I hope we wait till round 2 at least.

Also, If DJ does well in the middle we can just focus on picking up a STUD DE in FA then our draft coudl focus on getting our Oline fixed.

Again great post thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    Thanks for the post and link.

If we stick with the Spread and the chiefs plan on getting a QB I hope we wait till round 2 at least.

Also, If DJ does well in the middle we can just focus on picking up a STUD DE in FA then our draft coudl focus on getting our Oline fixed.

Again great post thanks
    Im not sure I entirely agree. I think if he does well at MLB, then we still have a need at OLB and a DE. I think we have to pick up at least one good LB either OLB if DJ does well or MLB if DJ goes back to the outside next year. I think we need one good established LB and another one to draft and maybe a rookie to train for the next year or two for depth.