Thread: Life After Tony Gonzalez....

Default Life After Tony Gonzalez....

We are so screwed.....Tony G is the Chiefs organization's savior.

If we trade him in the offseason like he wants, our offense and team overall is going to struggle big time...he's like, our whole team.

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post

If we trade him in the offseason like he wants, our offense and team overall is going to struggle big time...he's like, our whole team.
    I have to think that retaining unhappy vets like Tony and Waters was a prime reason that CP was let go with one year left on his contract, and Herm will be let go. I think with those two franchise killers gone, that guys like Waters and Tony G. will stay one or two more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post

I have to think that retaining unhappy vets like Tony and Waters was a prime reason that CP was let go with one year left on his contract, and Herm will be let go. I think with those two franchise killers gone, that guys like Waters and Tony G. will stay one or two more seasons.
    Yes Tony IS the KC CHIEFS! I imagine that if he had given the ultimatum that if Carl and Herm were gone, Clark would do what he has to to keep him but I believe Tony to be a honorable man. He would never give ultimatums.
    I think he would be a fantastic head coach(I'm not saying now, but in the future when he retires). Tony could teach this team so much!
    Last edited by hardcorechiefsfan; 12-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Tony was on Fox sports radio with Len and Mitch and was commenting on that the team was close to a team that could make a playoff push next year. This was after the Carl resignaion annoncement.

Tony is such a class act. He side despite the feelings of fans now that Kansas City needs to remember that Carl helped bring the Chiefs back and has done al lot for the city. As much as I am glad to see him leave, the Chiefs of the early 90's were a lot of fun to watch.

Tony G may be staying put...i really thought that he was gone.

Tony isn't gong anywhere. Even if Peterson was staying, even if Herm does stay, he's not going anywhere. It would be a bad business decision the whole way around for Tony to retire or for the Chiefs to try and trade him.

Next season, Tony's salary jumps from 1 mil a year to 4 mil a year. Then, 4.5 in 2010 and 5.7 in 2011. He's not leaving that on the table because of a little spat between him and Carl. He's not going to retire if he genuinely believe (like I do) that this team is a playoff contender next year and leave 14.2 million on the table. Tell me, who here is willing to leave 14.2 million dollars on the table because your feelings got hurt?

The Chiefs are not going to trade a Hall-of-Fame TE for less than the value they'd get if they kept him. That doesn't make sense. No team is going to give the Chiefs fair value for Gonzo because of his age.

HE'S STAYING PUT. No matter what.

But, since the topic is "life AFTER Tony Gonzalez," we can talk about Brad Cottam. Assuming the guy is able to stay healthy, there's no reason to think he couldn't step in and at least perform comparatively to TG. Especially considering who he's learning from right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he's pushing Gonzo for starting time by the end of next season or 2010. Cottam is the real deal and he would've been a first round pick if he didn't miss most of his senior year at Tenn.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

I also heard a sound bite with TG saying he wants Thigpen to be the QB! Im sure he would with all the passes thrown to him! Good thing we dont have Owens complaing about the TE!