Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top QB Draft Prospect

Default Top QB Draft Prospect

Expert: Top player and top NFL prospect? Bradford
    Tebow, McCoy not projected as good pros, but Oklahoma QB may be Brady
    ASK THE NFL EXPERT
    By Dan Pompei
    updated 5:13 p.m. CT, Wed., Dec. 10, 2008
    function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633645476253830000');
    It may be a mystery to many fans, but the best college players often do not make the best pros.
    Of the past 10 Heisman Trophy winners (not including Tim Tebow, who still is in college), only Charles Woodson and Ricky Williams have made it to the Pro Bowl. Some, such as Eric Crouch and Jason White, barely caused a ripple in the NFL.
    All of this year’s top Heisman candidates are not "can’t miss" NFL prospects, though a couple of them figure to be chosen near the top of the draft should they make themselves eligible.
    Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford is that rare player who may be college football's best player as well as the best NFL draft prospect. He is early leader in the competition to be the first player taken in the draft, assuming he decides to leave school after his sophomore season.
    One NFL front office man I spoke with said Bradford reminds him of Tom Brady. They share more than the first four letters of their last names.
    The front office man said Bradford throws like Brady in terms of his quick mind and quick release. Bradford also is extremely accurate and has good arm strength.
    And after Bradford, there are no slam dunks among the Heisman candidates.
    Scouts think Texas’ Colt McCoy is a fine player, but his arm strength is questionable. If he comes out early, he probably will not be a first or second round pick despite his intangibles and production.
    Tebow is perhaps the most interesting prospect. As accomplished a college passer as he is, some NFL teams want to project him to tight end or safety. But the truth is Tebow likely will be drafted too high as a quarterback for him to end up being taken to play another position.

Because his accuracy and arm strength are questionable, and because he plays in an unusual offense, it is unlikely Tebow would be a first round pick. But because Tebow is so athletic, competitive, strong and instinctive and has been such a winner, he probably would be chosen in the second round if he declared himself eligible.
    Oddly enough, the one player with Heisman-worthy statistics but isn't a finalist for the award is Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree. One scout compared Crabtree to Randy Moss because of his linear build, speed and jumping ability. Another compared him to Anquan Boldin because of his size, strength and excellent hands.
    Crabtree, should he leave school early, clearly will be the highest ranked receiver prospect. That should ensure him of being chosen in the top ten of the draft.

Texas Tech’s Graham Harrell was another quarterback who had Heisman-like stats, but he has the “system quarterback” label to contend with. That means he looks like a third or fourth round pick. For all of Harrell’s production, NFL teams are concerned with his lack of size and so-so arm strength and athleticism.
    There weren't any running backs among the Heisman finalists, but plenty earned Heisman buzz. None of them are sure-fire NFL stars.
    Michigan State running back Javon Ringer will be a first round pick as long as he runs well, but some scouts question his speed. If he doesn’t run a 4.4 40 yard dash, some teams will be skeptical about him because he’s only 5-9, 200 pounds. A speed deficient Ringer would be difficult to project as more than a change of pace back.
    Shonn Greene’s NFL stock, like Ringer’s, will be determined by how fast he runs. NFL teams question if the Iowa back has elite speed. “He looks like a 4.6 guy to me,” one general manager said. If that is the case, Greene probably won’t go higher than the second round. But if he runs well, Greene has the strength and size to be a first round pick.
    Lack of height could hurt Ball State’s Nate Davis. The University lists him as 6-2, but NFL teams think he’s about 5-11. Davis has a great arm — strength, accuracy and touch. But in the NFL, it’s tough for a short quarterback pocket to make a living. If he isn’t six feet tall, Davis probably won’t go higher than the third round.

Q: Hey Dan, is Herm Edwards going to be around for another season in K.C.?
    Chuck, Junction City, Kan.
    A: You can’t ever take anything for granted with a 2-11 team, but I would think so.
    It would be hypocritical of Chiefs management to blame Edwards for their record. They knew where they were headed when they decided to purge veterans and rebuild with draft choices in the offseason. The Chiefs need to give Edwards time to develop the youngsters and turn it around.
    Q: Do you think the NFL will suspend Plaxico for a season like they did to Pacman, or nearly the entire Bengals team? Will there be equal treatment?
    Ray Stefl, Denton, Texas
    A: Without knowing all of the facts in the file the NFL has kept on Plaxico Burress, its difficult to say just how long he may be suspended for.
    But I would say there is a very good chance the NFL will deal with him sternly. Since Roger Goodell has been the commissioner, players who cross the line repeatedly simply have not gotten away with it.
    Q: So when will they ultimately decide on the Williams boys from Minn. about they're suspensions?
    Bruce Walters

A: No one knows, except that it won’t come before Friday. It’s completely in the hands of U.S. District Court judge Paul Magnuson.
    It is obvious Kevin and Pat Williams and their attorneys think they have a strong case, otherwise challenging the ruling might not have been worth taking the risk of being suspended at an inopportune time—like right before the playoffs.
    Q: In the Baltimore Ravens vs. Washington Redskins game, the DB [Ed] Reed from the Ravens intercepted the ball and slid and was not touched. Then [Antwan] Randel El took the ball from him and the play was ruled dead. Does the slide rule apply to other players besides the QB? Thanks
    Shane, Amissville, Va.
    A: Section 4, Article 1 of the NFL rule book states, “A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide.” It also says the play is over the instant the runner’s feet hit the ground.
    The rulebook does not differentiate between quarterbacks and other players.

© 2008 NBC Sports.com
    var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
    ');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28162301/page/2/

i like herrel the best and he might even slip a few rounds.thus why i like him. i think bradford will be a lion and tebow sucks as an nfl prospect.mccoy is not coming out

I saw Harrell play up in Manhatten this year, I don't think he would make it as a chief. He's sitting behind a beast of an O-line, throwing to one of the best receivers in the country, it's easy to make the guy look good. It was hard to tell how he handles himself under pressure though, the Cats don't offer much resistance these days, but he did tend to throw up a bunch of floaters, seems fairly ****y too. I just don't think he has the...presence, for lack of a better term, that the Chiefs need right now.

I'd rather we stick with Thigy for '09, should have Brody (lawl) back as a backup, unless hermy starts wankin it to his star failure again. Best case scenario we see what free agency brings and try and find somebody to lead that failing pass rush, then we get to see if Dorsey is a bust or not and try to get lolHali back to his 2007 self.
    Last edited by Chief Tyler; 12-11-2008 at 09:56 PM.

I hope the Chiefs don't spend a 1st rd'er on a QB.

You and me both.

MLB, DE, O-Line, D-Line, FA, and Hold Off on the QB.

Unless Sanchez declares( which he probably won't ).

Time has passed, and I've seen all I need to know; Stafford has improved greatly over last year, but you can pretty much kiss that possibility goodbye.

The three guys in the running for the Heisman? No thanks.

Another spread guy? Already got one.

I've liked Mark the best out of all of them, and I'm sticking with him. I've had this debate for weeks now, and the final line is that though most Stafford fans can be obstinate to the point of absurdity, over half of them have come out and said that if Mark declared; they'd pimp him just as hard if Stafford was no longer a possibility.
    Mark is tough, he steps up and can take the hits, his footwork is better than anyone else, he's got a strong arm, and he operates in a non-spread, pro-style offense.

So pull up the real-estate sign, because DCS has purchased the house with no buyer's remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post

Time has passed, and I've seen all I need to know; Stafford has improved greatly over last year, but you can pretty much kiss that possibility goodbye.

I've liked Mark the best out of all of them, and I'm sticking with him. I've had this debate for weeks now, and the final line is that though most Stafford fans can be obstinate to the point of absurdity, over half of them have come out and said that if Mark declared; they'd pimp him just as hard if Stafford was no longer a possibility.
    Mark is tough, he steps up and can take the hits, his footwork is better than anyone else, he's got a strong arm, and he operates in a non-spread, pro-style offense.

So pull up the real-estate sign, because DCS has purchased the house with no buyer's remorse.
    Are you on Sanchez' payroll?

HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Are you on Sanchez' payroll?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    HA!
    Huh? Oh sorry; I was just tallying up my weekly kickback.

What was the question again?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post

I have always thought Sanchez was one of the top 3 QBs available, but he gets no talk (I think because SC has been out of BCS contention for awhile). A lot of estimates have him going late into the 2nd round, because he has no buzz. Unless he tears up the combine that would prob push him up in rounds. That being said I would really hesitate to pick him unless he somehow fell to the 3rd round. We have way too many needs right now to pick a QB, and then have a QB controversy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast