Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Michael Johnson
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 257.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

Everette Brown
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

I know it's crazy, but maybe if we drafted him we could use him at either DE OR MLB hehe

I'm surprised he doesn't play DE for USC honestly

What you all think?

And why do you think he is a MLB and not a DE?

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    Ya I know I'm crazy, but look at his size. He is BIG for a MLB

Rey Maualuga
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

James Laurinaitis (6'3 243) and Brandon Spikes (6'3 244) are almost 20 pounds lighter then Maualuga

Now look at the TOP DE's in the draft.

Brian Orakpo
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Michael Johnson
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 257.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

Everette Brown
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

I know it's crazy, but maybe if we drafted him we could use him at either DE OR MLB hehe

I'm surprised he doesn't play DE for USC honestly

What you all think?

And why do you think he is a MLB and not a DE?
    A thousand times no. If he bulked up enough to overpower OTs, he would lose his speed advantage. If you want him to rush the passer, draft him in a blitz heavy offense like the Steelers. As it is, he is a quinessentially perfect MLB - he can be the next Ray Lewis/Brian Urlacher.

Its probably to high, but I'd rather the Chiefs draft him in the 1st and cement their MLB spot for the next decade than blow the pick on Bradford or Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

Its probably to high, but I'd rather the Chiefs draft him in the 1st and cement their MLB spot for the next decade than blow the pick on Bradford or Stafford.
    100% agree.

What do you mean BULK UP? He is as big or even bigger then the three TOP DE's in the draft this year.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    What do you mean BULK UP? He is as big or even bigger then the three TOP DE's in the draft this year.
    Yeah, which tells you more about those three than it does about Maualuga. I think all three take a Terrell Suggs (about 260 lbs.) type trip back to LB, or they put on some upper-body muscle. None should be top-10 picks. We just happen to be in a year where several teams need DEs, otherwsie I can't see these three being discussed as legitimate top 1st rounders.

At best, they're Robert Mathis types, which would require a Dwight Freeney presence on the opposite side. In any case, they are not a building block of a DL - they area complimentary piece at best.

As for Maualuga, he has the size, speed, and skills to be an impact MLB. If we draft him, we should keep him there and not try to move him to DE.

I agree man, I think we should put all are eggs in one basket for a stud DE in FA and go after Rey in the draft.

Here are the stats for the top DEs in the league right now (based on sack numbers at NFL.com)
    Jared Allen: 6'-6", 270
    Dwight Freeney: 6'-6", 268
    Julius Peppers: 6'-7", 283
    Justin Tuck: 6'-5", 274
    Mario Williams: 6'-6", 283
    John Abraham: 6'-4", 263
    Some of these guys are criticized as being sack artists and liabilities against the run because of their size/strength.

The top OLBs (based on sacks) weights range from 240-260#s.

Those guys that are "top" DEs in the draft are going to have to put on at least 10-15lbs before their rookie season if they want to stay at DE. That is going to make them really slow and fatigued because they wont be used to carrying that weight around. This is why d-linemen usually take 3 years to come in to form. Year 1-2 is bulking up, year 3 is when they finally grow into their new size with speed and agility and become real threats.

Ray Maualuga is right at the average size for the leading MLBs in the league (based on tackles from NFL.com). He will stay at MLB.

I say we go for MLB or OT with the first pick. Those are the only ones that will be able to contribute before waiting 3 years.

I would be as happy as a puppy with two peters if we got Suggs/peppers in FA this year and traded down couple of spots and picked up an extra 2nd then pick Rey Maualuga with our first pick.

1st: Rey Maualuga MLB
    2nd: Alex Mack C
    2nd: Best OG/OT

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Here are the stats for the top DEs in the league right now (based on sack numbers at NFL.com)
    Jared Allen: 6'-6", 270
    Dwight Freeney: 6'-6", 268
    Julius Peppers: 6'-7", 283
    Justin Tuck: 6'-5", 274
    Mario Williams: 6'-6", 283
    John Abraham: 6'-4", 263
    Some of these guys are criticized as being sack artists and liabilities against the run because of their size/strength.

The top OLBs (based on sacks) weights range from 240-260#s.

Those guys that are "top" DEs in the draft are going to have to put on at least 10-15lbs before their rookie season if they want to stay at DE. That is going to make them really slow and fatigued because they wont be used to carrying that weight around. This is why d-linemen usually take 3 years to come in to form. Year 1-2 is bulking up, year 3 is when they finally grow into their new size with speed and agility and become real threats.

Ray Maualuga is right at the average size for the leading MLBs in the league (based on tackles from NFL.com). He will stay at MLB.

I say we go for MLB or OT with the first pick. Those are the only ones that will be able to contribute before waiting 3 years.
    Agreed, but I don't see us taking an OT until around the 3rd round. I know it won't be an LT, that's for sure, and you don't take RTs in the 1st/2nd round.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

That.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    A thousand times no. If he bulked up enough to overpower OTs, he would lose his speed advantage. If you want him to rush the passer, draft him in a blitz heavy offense like the Steelers. As it is, he is a quinessentially perfect MLB - he can be the next Ray Lewis/Brian Urlacher.