Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Larry Johnson...near future?

Default Larry Johnson...near future?

Hey guys...any talk around kansas city about Larry Johnson's status for the near future? I mean if the Chiefs play well enough in the spread offence in their remaining games do the chiefs let go of larry who is sometimes a distraction and just go with a couple shifty running backs like charles and kolby and a goaline RB. Larry's production is somewhat reduced because of the spread...so would this make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    LJ would never renegotiate his contract. In all likelihood, he's gonna be a chief next season. I do, however, think his biggest problem is with Herm's coaching. LJ doesnt wanna be the gutbusting back that Herm threw him into, so I think if Herm taps the boot, LJ'll keep quieter for the rest of his contract.
    I think that if we hire a new GM who isn't a CP crony, LJ gets cut. While I feel bad for LJ, in the sense that Herm ran him into the ground, cutting him sends a clear message that the Chiefs are beginning anew. Kind of like the Dolphins with Jason Taylor - maybe it isn't fair, but it needs to be done.

jmlamerson said it right...herm has costed the chiefs games this season, im not sure how many you can put on a coach but hes definately been part of the reason for some of the games. I think the Chiefs need to bring in a coach that is more disciplined to his players rather than have a coach like herm or dick who are player coaches. As for Larry...i really dont know what i would do with him. But I'm affraid that if he isnt a chief next year, he will want to prove to the chiefs and the league that he still can be a top 10 back.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    LJ would never renegotiate his contract. In all likelihood, he's gonna be a chief next season. I do, however, think his biggest problem is with Herm's coaching. LJ doesnt wanna be the gutbusting back that Herm threw him into, so I think if Herm taps the boot, LJ'll keep quieter for the rest of his contract.
    I think that Clark should just swallow the money lost on LJ by getting rid of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    ...I think they want to win badly, but have an idiot as a HC who keeps costing them games.
    I don't think that they want to win bad enough or they wouldn't quit playing after the halftime.
    I think that if we hire a new GM who isn't a CP crony, LJ gets cut. While I feel bad for LJ, in the sense that Herm ran him into the ground, cutting him sends a clear message that the Chiefs are beginning anew. Kind of like the Dolphins with Jason Taylor - maybe it isn't fair, but it needs to be done.
    You are right, LJ needs to be cut, and loss of money swallowed.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by leoness8 View Post
    jmlamerson said it right...herm has costed the chiefs games this season, im not sure how many you can put on a coach but hes definately been part of the reason for some of the games. I think the Chiefs need to bring in a coach that is more disciplined to his players rather than have a coach like herm or dick who are player coaches. As for Larry...i really dont know what i would do with him. But I'm affraid that if he isnt a chief next year, he will want to prove to the chiefs and the league that he still can be a top 10 back.
    LJ has awful work ethics(maybe just for the chiefs) so he has to go. I agree with you that he will want to prove himself to be still one of the best RB's if he is traded. If so, the chiefs need to have a strong defense that can stop him in his tracks.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

You're absolutely right that he could be a decent RB with a real OL. It's just that I don't see him cutting millions off of his salary just to get traded. It makes more sense for him to just get cut and size a mid-size deal elsewhere or to keep playing at his current salary for the Chiefs.

While LJ could be great for a whole bunch of teams, Bengals and Browns included, and there may be a minor bidding war if he gets released between them, Denver, Seattle, etc., I don't think they'll trade for him.

The only team I could see trading for LJ is the Pats, given their history with trading for troubled RBs (Corey Dillon) and their need for a RB. But I think, at most, the Pats give up a 5th rounder for him.

I guess my point is that we can't expect to help build the Chiefs by trading LJ for picks. He is more of a liability than an asset to us right now.
    I doubt that the Patriots will want him. The Patriots only had problems at running back this season because of injury. But I do believe LJ is the kind of player who would take a pay cut, just so he can be traded. I'm not saying he would take a huge cut, but one that would make teams not flinch when they saw his price. If we can get a 2nd round, that is perfect. I do not care if it is the Broncos, we'll take it. I think the Chiefs would have fun beating up on LJ for the next 2 years. But realistically, the Chiefs should not go lower than a 3rd round. If we can't get a 3rd round, keep him. He's not done just yet. And with a new GM and coach, someone may finally put him in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I doubt that the Patriots will want him. The Patriots only had problems at running back this season because of injury. But I do believe LJ is the kind of player who would take a pay cut, just so he can be traded. I'm not saying he would take a huge cut, but one that would make teams not flinch when they saw his price. If we can get a 2nd round, that is perfect. I do not care if it is the Broncos, we'll take it. I think the Chiefs would have fun beating up on LJ for the next 2 years. But realistically, the Chiefs should not go lower than a 3rd round. If we can't get a 3rd round, keep him. He's not done just yet. And with a new GM and coach, someone may finally put him in his place.
    The Chiefs aren't getting a 3rd or higher for LJ. No one - NO ONE - is going to give a high pick for a 30-year-old RB with a history of injuries. We have to stop pretending we're getting anything of real value for him.

The Pats are going to ditch Maroney this offseason. They'll need a big, every down back to replace him. Just as with Corey Dillon, the Pats may take a low risk flyer on LJ.

they should have got rid of him when they had the chance....

I will say again, I would be very suprised if LJ is not a Chief next season.
    (not saying if that is good or bad, just saying.)

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    They are not going to get rid of him and even if they did, he would be the one beating up on our D line and LB's!!! Have you seen them play???

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    They are not going to get rid of him and even if they did, he would be the one beating up on our D line and LB's!!! Have you seen them play???
    Have you seen LJ play?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast