Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And the first pick by the Chiefs of the 2009 Draft is.....

Default And the first pick by the Chiefs of the 2009 Draft is.....

Brian Orakpo. He's a beast and is just the thing the Chiefs need to get that defense where it needs to be.

From wikipedia-

Brian Orakpo (born July 31, 1986 in Houston, Texas) is an American football defensive end for the Texas Longhorns. He is considered one of the best prospects available for the 2009 NFL Draft.[1]

Early years

Orakpo played high school football at Lamar High School in Houston, Texas. He played defensive end and tight end and was a two-time first-team all-district selection. He also played basketball from his freshman to junior years.

College career

Orakpo plays college football at University of Texas. He was redshirted as a freshman in 2004, but in 2005 he played in all 13 games starting one. He made an immmediate impact for the Longhorns helping them finish 10th in the nation at defense, recording 27 Tackles, a half sack, a forced fumble and recovered fumble. His play earned him Defensive Freshman of the Year and first-team Freshman All-America by The Sporting News.

As a sophomore in 2006 he played all 13 games recording 26 tackles and 4.5 sacks and was named one of the Lowe's Most Improved Defensive Players. As a junior in 2007 he played in nine games and missed four due to right knee injury suffered against Arkansas State. He was the Defensive MVP of the 2007 Holiday Bowl after recording six tackles and two sacks during the game. He finished the season with 37 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

As a senior in 2008 he was the AP Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.[2] He also was the winner of the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, given to the best defensive player, [3] the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the top defensive end,[4] and the Lombardi Award, given to the best lineman or linebacker.[5] He became the first former Houston high school player to capture the Lombardi.[6]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0"]YouTube - Sports Center profiles Texas Longhorns DE Brian Orakpo[/ame]

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefsFanFromNY View Post
    I like Orakpo and Johnson even, but not in the top 5 where we most likely will end up. If we can't trade down and draft Rey or a DE then I say we grab one of the OT's. Oher or Smith, even Monroe if Oher and Smith are taken. They all can anchor the left side of our line for many years. Move Albert to RT and maybe draft the Cal center in the next round, or a LB. We can also address the DE and LB issue in FA with the amount of cap space available.

But I won't be bothered no matter what direction management decides to go towards since we have so many needs. Only thing I would be upset about is if we draft a QB with the first pick. Thigpen is the guy.
    I agree completely. I'll be a Chiefs fan no matter what direction they decide to go. I don't want a quarterback, but the new GM may want to draft a QB so he can call him "his" guy. But if we can't solidify the O-line, we'll end up with the next David Carr. When Carr was drafted, they said he was a can't-miss prospect. We should learn from other team's mistakes. I hope we get Oher. He looks incredible with good footwork, prototypical size, balance, and leverage.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

I really like Stafford although with the amount of holes we have to fill im not opposed to any direction we go. About Carr being a cant miss prospect? Its always hard to judge talent it seems. Ryan Leaf at 1 point was a cant miss prospect also. How many 1st round busts have there been throughout the NFL over the years. How many have the Chiefs drafted. Either way the team goes in the draft we will still, most likely, 2nd guess some decision at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    I really like Stafford although with the amount of holes we have to fill im not opposed to any direction we go. About Carr being a cant miss prospect? Its always hard to judge talent it seems. Ryan Leaf at 1 point was a cant miss prospect also. How many 1st round busts have there been throughout the NFL over the years. How many have the Chiefs drafted. Either way the team goes in the draft we will still, most likely, 2nd guess some decision at some point.
    I bet if I watched Stafford, I may feel the same way. Instead, I've been watching linemen (I know that sounds odd), so that is probably why I want to draft a lineman. I just think that lineman is a safer choice with the number one pick. So if you can choose an OT with the same potential as a quarterback, I would feel more comfortable taking the lineman. We can always come back to quarterback next year. I say give Thigpen at least one season starting.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I like them both, would be nice to be able to get both.
    :character0009: :character00181:
    Orapko looks like a solid DE, although I have not seen him play at all. What kind of speed does he have? If he has good speed with that kind of strength, he could light up LT's all day long. I still lean towards the USC LB, Rey though with our first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefsFanFromNY View Post
    But I won't be bothered no matter what direction management decides to go towards since we have so many needs. Only thing I would be upset about is if we draft a QB with the first pick. Thigpen is the guy.
    I'm starting to feel this way as well. Thigpen is playing well. You can get a QB in the later rounds. We need more help on the defensive side of the ball. Since Thigpen has came in, the Chiefs have been averaging over 20 pts/game. They're just giving up way to many points.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Orapko looks like a solid DE, although I have not seen him play at all. What kind of speed does he have? If he has good speed with that kind of strength, he could light up LT's all day long. I still lean towards the USC LB, Rey though with our first pick.

I'm starting to feel this way as well. Thigpen is playing well. You can get a QB in the later rounds. We need more help on the defensive side of the ball. Since Thigpen has came in, the Chiefs have been averaging over 20 pts/game. They're just giving up way to many points.
    Exactly. The defense does well for half the game, but then doesn't make any half time adjustments. Then the other team exposes our flaws, and we come out losing the game in the end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123