Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And the first pick by the Chiefs of the 2009 Draft is.....

Default And the first pick by the Chiefs of the 2009 Draft is.....

Brian Orakpo. He's a beast and is just the thing the Chiefs need to get that defense where it needs to be.

From wikipedia-

Brian Orakpo (born July 31, 1986 in Houston, Texas) is an American football defensive end for the Texas Longhorns. He is considered one of the best prospects available for the 2009 NFL Draft.[1]

Early years

Orakpo played high school football at Lamar High School in Houston, Texas. He played defensive end and tight end and was a two-time first-team all-district selection. He also played basketball from his freshman to junior years.

College career

Orakpo plays college football at University of Texas. He was redshirted as a freshman in 2004, but in 2005 he played in all 13 games starting one. He made an immmediate impact for the Longhorns helping them finish 10th in the nation at defense, recording 27 Tackles, a half sack, a forced fumble and recovered fumble. His play earned him Defensive Freshman of the Year and first-team Freshman All-America by The Sporting News.

As a sophomore in 2006 he played all 13 games recording 26 tackles and 4.5 sacks and was named one of the Lowe's Most Improved Defensive Players. As a junior in 2007 he played in nine games and missed four due to right knee injury suffered against Arkansas State. He was the Defensive MVP of the 2007 Holiday Bowl after recording six tackles and two sacks during the game. He finished the season with 37 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

As a senior in 2008 he was the AP Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.[2] He also was the winner of the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, given to the best defensive player, [3] the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the top defensive end,[4] and the Lombardi Award, given to the best lineman or linebacker.[5] He became the first former Houston high school player to capture the Lombardi.[6]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0"]YouTube - Sports Center profiles Texas Longhorns DE Brian Orakpo[/ame]

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

I am not saying I dont like him or that he wont be great, but odds are that it will take any D-lineman 2-3 years to become productive. I dont see him making a huge impact next year. And with our DL being our biggest liability, I would rather fill this spot with a free agent, although I have doubts we can get someone big in here.

Homer much?

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I am not saying I dont like him or that he wont be great, but odds are that it will take any D-lineman 2-3 years to become productive. I dont see him making a huge impact next year. And with our DL being our biggest liability, I would rather fill this spot with a free agent, although I have doubts we can get someone big in here.
    You can forget that Free Agent stuff. Management has made it pretty clear that youth and the draft is where it's going. Otherwise we wouldn't have departed ways with Jared Allen. Most scouting websites have Orakpo as the number 1 DE for the next draft. Chances are pretty good he'll be available when we pick. The offense is mediocre, but the defense is worse and needs serious help.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    You can forget that Free Agent stuff. Management has made it pretty clear that youth and the draft is where it's going. Otherwise we wouldn't have departed ways with Jared Allen. Most scouting websites have Orakpo as the number 1 DE for the next draft. Chances are pretty good he'll be available when we pick. The offense is mediocre, but the defense is worse and needs serious help.
    Dont get me wrong, I have complete faith in our management being incompetent as long as Carl is at the realm.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I have complete faith in our management being incompetent as long as Carl is at the realm.

Carl AND Herm

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    Orakpo may be OK, but he needs to put on muscle before I see him as a top DE prospect. The combine will tell.

The fact that management is only using the draft to full the 10 positions for which we need starters says something about the overall crappiness of management. Our management philosophy is idiotic, and we'll never have a good team as long as we follow it.

I don't think our defense will be better next year (or even in 2010) with Orakpo. I think the only defensive player who can have an immediately great impact for us is Rey Maualuga. If we aren't trading down and drafting him, my opinion is that we fix our offense and let Herm sink or swim with the defense he drafted in 2009.

I like him. But what do I know.

Yes...I also like Rey Maualuga. He is a game changer and is always around the ball. He looks like Troy Polamalu and reminds me of him...I havent been able to watch alot of Rey...but from the couple games ive seen I always heard his name called. The Chiefs should trade down and grab Rey. DE is more preferable but they can always grab a DE in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by leoness8 View Post
    Yes...I also like Rey Maualuga. He is a game changer and is always around the ball. He looks like Troy Polamalu and reminds me of him...I havent been able to watch alot of Rey...but from the couple games ive seen I always heard his name called. The Chiefs should trade down and grab Rey. DE is more preferable but they can always grab a DE in the 2nd round.
    I like them both, would be nice to be able to get both.
    :character0009: :character00181:
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 12-15-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast