Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs 2009 salary cap figures

Default Chiefs 2009 salary cap figures

Not including rookie contracts for those rookies coming in from the 2009 draft, these players have contracts with the Chiefs NEXT season. If the trend continues, the estimated salary cap for 2009 is $121.8 million. These salary cap figures are based on the contracts that they sign. They are not factored in with their "Cap Hit." Usually, a player's "Cap Hit" is larger than their salary number.

Albert, Branden- 493,750
    Barth, Connor- 385k
    Battle, Jackie- 460k
    Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
    Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
    Bradley, Mark- 620k
    Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
    Carr, Brandon-385k
    Charles, Jamaal- 385k
    Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
    Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
    Cottam, Brad- 385k
    Cox, Mike-385k
    Croyle, Brodie- 530K
    Darche, Jean-Philippe- 745k
    Darling, Devard- 1mil
    Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
    Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
    Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
    Flowers, Brandon-385k
    Franklin, Will-385k
    Gafford, Thomas-385k
    Gatewood, Curtis-385k
    Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
    Gray, Quinn-750k
    Hali, Tamba-940k
    Huard, Damon-2mil
    Johnson, Derrick-1mil
    Johnson, Larry-4.5mil

Johnston, Brian-385k
    Leggett, Maurice-385k
    Macklin, David- 745k
    McBride, Turk-460k
    McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
    Merritt, Mike-385k
    Morgan, DaJuan-385k
    Pollard, Bernard-530k
    Richardson, Barry-385k
    Robinson, Kevin-385k
    Smith, Kolby-460k
    Smith, Wade-620k
    Studebaker, Andy-385k
    Surtain, Pat-7mil
    Taylor, Herb-460k
    Thigpen, Tyler-460K
    Tyler, Demarcus-460k
    Washington, Tavares-385k
    Waters, Brian- 3.6mil
    Williams, Demario-1mil

Total committed salary for the 2009 season is:
    $51,743,750

Not including the "cap hit" figures and signing bonuses for rookies, the Chiefs will have somewhere around $65 million in cap room to play with. The bargaining agreement requires teams to spend AT LEAST 86% of their salary cap. That figure comes out to be roughly $99.76 million if the cap est. is correct. "Cap Hit" numbers and signing bonuses with eat up a big portion of the $40 million the Chiefs have to spend, but that still leaves a big number for the Chiefs to make up just to get in compliance with the NFL/NFLPA agreement.

Some names the Chiefs will have to look at just from their own crop of free agents, will be:
    Jason Babin- Starting DE
    Rocky Boiman- Starting LB
    Adrian Jones- Backup OG
    Jon McGraw- Backup S
    Rudy Niswanger- Starting C
    Jarrad Page- Starting S
    Pat Thomas- Backup LB
    Jeff Webb- WR

Just from that list, you're looking at having to either re-sign or replace 4 or 5 starters to go along with the holes we already have.

Let's say we let all our free agents walk. What are we left with?

Defense:
    LE- OPEN
    LT- Tyler
    RT- Dorsey
    RE- Hali
    LOLB- OPEN
    MLB- OPEN
    ROLB- D. Johnson
    LCB- Carr/Leggett
    RCB- Flowers
    SS- Pollard
    FS- OPEN

Offense:
    WR- Bowe
    LT- Albert/Taylor/OPEN
    LG- Waters/OPEN
    C- OPEN/Waters
    RG- OPEN/Albert
    RT- OPEN/Taylor/Albert
    TE- Gonzo/Cottam
    WR- Bradley
    QB- Thigpen/OPEN
    FB- Cox
    RB- Johnson/Charles

Special
    K-Barth
    P-Colquitt
    KR-Robinson/Charles

That leaves us with potentially 4 holes on defense and 3 holes on offense if we go with Thigpen. 7 holes to fill with either the guys we have, free agents or the 2009 draft class.

To recap, we'll have roughly $25-35 million in cap space. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 in April. We will have a new GM. We will have 7 holes to fill.

On offense, we're going to need a:
    Center
    OG and/or
    OT

On defense, we're going to need a:
    DE
    OLB
    MLB
    S

You are the new GM. Go have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    It's been said by Hunt that the decision was made for CP to retire earlier this season, perhaps even as early as this past summer. His contract ended after the 2009 season which would have rendered him a lame duck this off season. You don't want your team seeing the decisions being made for the future by a guy who wouldn't be there the following year. You NEVER want a lame duck running any kind of organization.

In normal circumstances, I would agree that a change at GM would indicate a perceived sense of failure by ownership. Just not in this case IMO. Hunt seems to endorse everything Herm believes. If ANYTHING, I would say Carl didn't like that plan and expressed this vehemently to Hunt. I think that is what ultimately led to his demise. Peterson wanted to sign crappy free agents like he always had and the ownership and coaching wanted to go in another direction.

The more I read about the situation and the more I listen to Hunt speak about Peterson's resignation, the more I believe this is closer to how things went down.
    I also agree. I have read a number of articles that claim that CP hated the idea of the youth movement and is the reason it didnt start when Herm got here 2 seasons ago. Supposedly he wanted to continue the policy of bringing old free agents here to die.

I also read the Herm went over CPs head straight to Hunt to get some moves done.

To Chief31, I agree that it is a bad sign, but a few things make me think it isn't as bad. First, the rumors I stated above. Second, Hunt didn't want to come in to the ownership and start firing people right away. People would say he doesn't know what he is doing and/or that it is an insult to his father to come in and start firing people his dad thought were competent.

Anyways, all of this is speculation and hopefully we will see what direction the team takes toward success in January.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I think the point that everyone is missing is that every team builds through the draft. No mater who becomes the GM, the team will continue to build through the draft.

However, young free agents can help the youth movement as well because they could be an instant star unlike a rookie.

As far as Herm's job goes, we will find out if his job is safe depending on who Hunt hires.
    Agreed. Hopefully, the new GM isnt a CP clone that thinks a 30-yr-old has-been or never-was is going to anchor our line or be the MLB or something.

I dont think young FAs are and the youth movement are mutually exclusive.

It's been said by Hunt that the decision was made for CP to retire earlier this season, perhaps even as early as this past summer. His contract ended after the 2009 season which would have rendered him a lame duck this off season. You don't want your team seeing the decisions being made for the future by a guy who wouldn't be there the following year. You NEVER want a lame duck running any kind of organization.

In normal circumstances, I would agree that a change at GM would indicate a perceived sense of failure by ownership. Just not in this case IMO. Hunt seems to endorse everything Herm believes. If ANYTHING, I would say Carl didn't like that plan and expressed this vehemently to Hunt. I think that is what ultimately led to his demise. Peterson wanted to sign crappy free agents like he always had and the ownership and coaching wanted to go in another direction.

The more I read about the situation and the more I listen to Hunt speak about Peterson's resignation, the more I believe this is closer to how things went down.

If what you say is ture then what GM would want to come in under the circumstance that they would have to follow a plan that they did not creat or necessarily agree with. I would think it would be hard to lure someone away, especially from a top tier organization, to come here and not have much say.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    If what you say is ture then what GM would want to come in under the circumstance that they would have to follow a plan that they did not creat or necessarily agree with. I would think it would be hard to lure someone away, especially from a top tier organization, to come here and not have much say.
    What? I'm not saying you have to force this strategy on Pioli or whomever. I'm saying Hunt probably isn't going to hire a GM who doesn't agree with the strategy. You act like being a GM for this franchise is something nobody would touch with a ten foot pole. That's ridiculous. There will be plenty of candidates out there for the Chiefs to choose from.

There will only be 3-5 teams out there who will be looking for new GMs at the most and like 20-30 candidates to fill those positions. Out of the franchises looking for a new GM, the Chiefs position will be the most coveted.

Hunt has already stated that he will make the final decision on Herm, not the new GM. Not good. A new gm will want to bring in his own coaching staff. That being said, Hunt is already singling out candidates.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Hunt has already stated that he will make the final decision on Herm, not the new GM. Not good. A new gm will want to bring in his own coaching staff. That being said, Hunt is already singling out candidates.
    I see what you mean, but Hunt also chooses who becomes the GM. You will be able to tell if he wants Herm fired by who he chooses for GM. I think he will choose someone who wants Herm fired as well, that way the decision does not look like it came from Hunt. I think Hunt wants to give the impression that this was bound to happen (like how Carl and him have been talking about his resignation all season), not that he is cleaning house.

What? I'm not saying you have to force this strategy on Pioli or whomever. I'm saying Hunt probably isn't going to hire a GM who doesn't agree with the strategy. You act like being a GM for this franchise is something nobody would touch with a ten foot pole. That's ridiculous. There will be plenty of candidates out there for the Chiefs to choose from.

There will only be 3-5 teams out there who will be looking for new GMs at the most and like 20-30 candidates to fill those positions. Out of the franchises looking for a new GM, the Chiefs position will be the most coveted.

Why can't you just accept he fact that there is a good chance the new GM will push to get his own guy in. And second, never said no one would touch it with a ten foot pole, just saying that the deal is gonna have to be sweet. I mean we gave up a fourth round draft choice for Herm, which in your eyes may have been worth it but not mine. I think that the new GM is gonna have a sweet deal, that will put some heat on your coveted HC....finally.

My understanding is that we have tons of cap money; it'd be nice if we don't waste it on subpar talent.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Why can't you just accept he fact that there is a good chance the new GM will push to get his own guy in. And second, never said no one would touch it with a ten foot pole, just saying that the deal is gonna have to be sweet. I mean we gave up a fourth round draft choice for Herm, which in your eyes may have been worth it but not mine. I think that the new GM is gonna have a sweet deal, that will put some heat on your coveted HC....finally.
    Why would you re-start the rebuilding process? That's just stupid and would set the franchise back again. But hey, that seems to be the trend. As soon as something starts going right, we need to change the direction and destroy it all over again.

Why would you re-start the rebuilding process? That's just stupid and would set the franchise back again. But hey, that seems to be the trend. As soon as something starts going right, we need to change the direction and destroy it all over again.
    Why would it be restarting the process? Because we want to bring in better coaching and assistants? I say that is going to help the process. With or without Herm, this team is going to have a better season next year. So this would be the BEST time to change coaching.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast