Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Chiefs 2009 salary cap figures

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,767
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default Chiefs 2009 salary cap figures


    0 Not allowed!
    Not including rookie contracts for those rookies coming in from the 2009 draft, these players have contracts with the Chiefs NEXT season. If the trend continues, the estimated salary cap for 2009 is $121.8 million. These salary cap figures are based on the contracts that they sign. They are not factored in with their "Cap Hit." Usually, a player's "Cap Hit" is larger than their salary number.


    Albert, Branden- 493,750
    Barth, Connor- 385k
    Battle, Jackie- 460k
    Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
    Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
    Bradley, Mark- 620k
    Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
    Carr, Brandon-385k
    Charles, Jamaal- 385k
    Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
    Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
    Cottam, Brad- 385k
    Cox, Mike-385k
    Croyle, Brodie- 530K
    Darche, Jean-Philippe- 745k
    Darling, Devard- 1mil
    Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
    Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
    Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
    Flowers, Brandon-385k
    Franklin, Will-385k
    Gafford, Thomas-385k
    Gatewood, Curtis-385k
    Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
    Gray, Quinn-750k
    Hali, Tamba-940k
    Huard, Damon-2mil
    Johnson, Derrick-1mil
    Johnson, Larry-4.5mil

    Johnston, Brian-385k
    Leggett, Maurice-385k
    Macklin, David- 745k
    McBride, Turk-460k
    McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
    Merritt, Mike-385k
    Morgan, DaJuan-385k
    Pollard, Bernard-530k
    Richardson, Barry-385k
    Robinson, Kevin-385k
    Smith, Kolby-460k
    Smith, Wade-620k
    Studebaker, Andy-385k
    Surtain, Pat-7mil
    Taylor, Herb-460k
    Thigpen, Tyler-460K
    Tyler, Demarcus-460k
    Washington, Tavares-385k
    Waters, Brian- 3.6mil
    Williams, Demario-1mil


    Total committed salary for the 2009 season is:
    $51,743,750

    Not including the "cap hit" figures and signing bonuses for rookies, the Chiefs will have somewhere around $65 million in cap room to play with. The bargaining agreement requires teams to spend AT LEAST 86% of their salary cap. That figure comes out to be roughly $99.76 million if the cap est. is correct. "Cap Hit" numbers and signing bonuses with eat up a big portion of the $40 million the Chiefs have to spend, but that still leaves a big number for the Chiefs to make up just to get in compliance with the NFL/NFLPA agreement.

    Some names the Chiefs will have to look at just from their own crop of free agents, will be:
    Jason Babin- Starting DE
    Rocky Boiman- Starting LB
    Adrian Jones- Backup OG
    Jon McGraw- Backup S
    Rudy Niswanger- Starting C
    Jarrad Page- Starting S
    Pat Thomas- Backup LB
    Jeff Webb- WR

    Just from that list, you're looking at having to either re-sign or replace 4 or 5 starters to go along with the holes we already have.

    Let's say we let all our free agents walk. What are we left with?

    Defense:
    LE- OPEN
    LT- Tyler
    RT- Dorsey
    RE- Hali
    LOLB- OPEN
    MLB- OPEN
    ROLB- D. Johnson
    LCB- Carr/Leggett
    RCB- Flowers
    SS- Pollard
    FS- OPEN

    Offense:
    WR- Bowe
    LT- Albert/Taylor/OPEN
    LG- Waters/OPEN
    C- OPEN/Waters
    RG- OPEN/Albert
    RT- OPEN/Taylor/Albert
    TE- Gonzo/Cottam
    WR- Bradley
    QB- Thigpen/OPEN
    FB- Cox
    RB- Johnson/Charles

    Special
    K-Barth
    P-Colquitt
    KR-Robinson/Charles

    That leaves us with potentially 4 holes on defense and 3 holes on offense if we go with Thigpen. 7 holes to fill with either the guys we have, free agents or the 2009 draft class.

    To recap, we'll have roughly $25-35 million in cap space. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 in April. We will have a new GM. We will have 7 holes to fill.

    On offense, we're going to need a:
    Center
    OG and/or
    OT

    On defense, we're going to need a:
    DE
    OLB
    MLB
    S



    You are the new GM. Go have fun.

  2. #21
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    We know that unless the contract guarantees money, the contracts are not automatically guaranteed. Larry's contract guarantees him 19 million alone. He received 12 of that in his signing bonus and 7 of it is guaranteed salary. The signing bonus is distributed evenly over his contract, which means the Chiefs are probably still on the hook for at least 13 million of his contract when you account for his other 7 guaranteed.

    Pat Surtain's cap hit is going to be somewhere around 8 million due to his signing bonus when he re-negotiated his contract.

    Donnie Edwards got a signing bonus worth 10million. He'll be owed some 3.3 million.

    Damion McIntosh received an 18.5 million dollar signing bonus. With 4 years left on his contract, he'll account for a 12 million dollar cap hit.

    DeMario Williams got 5 million for his signing bonus and still has 4 years left on his contract. He would be a 4 million dollar hit.

    Damon Huard will count for a 1 million dollar cap hit.

    Devard Darling will count for a 1 million dollar cap hit.

    Croyle and all others would be minimal and would probably only count for 1 or 2 million combined.

    The players you want to cut would be a $43 million cap hit AT THE VERY LEAST!
    1. I had McIntosh on the wrong list. I knew about his awful contract and I forgot to take him off. He should have been on the keep until contract expires list. My bad.

    2. Surtain's hit is only $6M.

    The totals:

    LJ - $13M
    Surtain - $6M
    Williams - $4M
    Edwards- $3.3M
    Huard - $1M
    Darling - $1M
    Rest - $1M

    Totaling $29.3M.

    Yeah, it's a terrible, terrible hit for next year. But we still have more than enough room to sign FAs and our rookies. And we'll be free and clear from these awful contracts in 2010. We can then extend any rookies worth extending.

    We've signed some awful FAs in the past three years. Whether you want it or not, our next GM (assuming he's not a CP lackey) will probably do as I suggested above and clear house. Hopefully our next GM and HC are better talent evaluators than our current ones.

    I'm in favor of signing large FA contracts to good FAs. Guys under 30 with a history of success. Haynesworth can't be refranchised (per his contract) and is worth a look. Asomugha will probably not be refranchised and is worth a look. Gross is worth a look. Dansby is worth a look. Houshmenzadah is worth a look. Suggs is worth a look. These aren't two to three year fixes like Law or Green. Guys like this can be building blocks of our franchise for the next decade.

    And you're nuts if you think Champ Bailey, Chris McCallister, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, and Rasheen Mathis are better than Asomugha. Bailey is the most overrated CB of all time. He is consistently beat for big gains - he's a quiter version of DeAngelo Hall. Samuel and Law were great with the Pats. They were mediocre when elsewhere. McCallister is a great CB, but Baltimore players tend to do pretty poorly when off that defense. I'd want to see him on a truly awful team, like Asomugha on the Raiders. Mathis is a great CB, but not on Asomugha's level.

    It isn't that I expect too much from rookies. I don't expect guys like Dorsey, Tank, and McBride to be pro bowlers right now. Guys like Kevin Williams, Warren Sapp, Wilfork, and Albert Haynesworth are few and far between. But Wilfork's, Williams', Sapp's, and Haynesworth's defenses were never at the bottom of the league against the run.

    Have you ever noticed that very, very few OL and DL rookies make the pro bowl? That's because the pro bowl is a popularity contest, and it takes a while for non-skill players to get known, not because there's such a massive learning curve.

    Dorsey is playing right now no better than any 7th rounder. Tank and Turk are playing worse. They are getting blown off the line every down. Can they get better? Maybe. Will they get better? Who knows? They are not the impact players that the current administration said they were. Maybe this whole experience has taught us the stupidity of drafting DTs too high, and counting on first to third year players to man a DL.

    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Also don't forget that you have 11 starters needed between rookies (who will have large signing bonuses) and free agents.
    2nd through 7th rounders don't have large signing bonuses. Our 1st rounder will, which is why we should avoid a project player like Bradford or an undersized DE like Orkapo or Johnson.

    This team can and, if we hire a good GM, will be rebuilt using a misture of draft and FA. Once we have a presentable product on the field, we should use the draft to keep our team replenished as opposed to large forays into free agency. Teams like the Giants, Colts, Pats, and Steelers used free agency to rebuild their teams and then used the draft to stay on top.

    Herm and Carl tried to bypass that first step, and it has massively backfired.

  3. #22
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    You dont know who I am or what i do. If you did, you would be very surprised how much I know. but thats irrelevant little guy. "Our cap penalty isnt that much cutting those guys"? Hold on a second, can you proof read that and make sure that I didnt jumble your quote. Oh, that is what you said? Good, because if you knew anything, you would know that the Chiefs justed wasted 19 MILLION DOLLARS in GUARANTEED money to LJ if they just release him, not to mention that this was his first year in a long term contract worth nearly 50 million. So yeah, little buckaroo, the cap hit on this would be in record proportion. This isnt the Madden video game pal. By the way Lil' Carl, the strongest position on this team for now and the future is at cornerback. You want to make a major trade to the Raiders for Namdi? And then fill the holes for the great players that we had to get rid of, to get him. Like we dont have enough holes. Well atleast we will have 4 good cornerbacks huh? Its really evident that you just started watching the Chiefs this year and didnt go through the transition with us in the off season. If you did then you would know where we are at as a franchise. We didnt make any moves in the offseason last year and played with a bunch of rookies and sophmores so that when the foundation comes together, which it has, we can go out THIS OFFSEASON and build the house with huge cap room. Thats how pro football works. Like I said in my last post, that made you so sad... Dont worry, you'll get it one day lil' buddy.
    I do know that writing in sentences is obviously not your strong point.

    A foundation of a team is its lines and QB. We may have found in FA (not in one of Herm's terrible drafts) a good enough QB to lead our team. We have massive holes in our front seven and our OL. Herm hasn't built anything except our CBs.

    As Chief31 pointed out, you don't know what you're talking about.

  4. #23
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    883
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I do know that writing in sentences is obviously not your strong point.

    A foundation of a team is its lines and QB. We may have found in FA (not in one of Herm's terrible drafts) a good enough QB to lead our team. We have massive holes in our front seven and our OL. Herm hasn't built anything except our CBs.

    As Chief31 pointed out, you don't know what you're talking about.
    I'm Not looking for a perfect sentence structure in a forum, pal. You don't even want to go their. I'll out write you any day of the week. As far as foundation, your talking about the foundation built by position. Im talking about the core players that make up the identity of the team. To you, they all suck, I know. In reality, we are a few FA plug-ins away from being good. Mix that with another good draft and we are their. Sorry, throwing 20 million dollars away because we have room to and then dumping our re-building project to start over again is just stupid. Congratulations on being a ***Can we please act like we have some self control?!?!?!***. Your parents must be proud.
    Last edited by chief31; 12-18-2008 at 10:04 PM.


    CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I'm Not looking for a perfect sentence structure in a forum, pal. You don't even want to go their. I'll out write you any day of the week. As far as foundation, your talking about the foundation built by position. Im talking about the core players that make up the identity of the team. To you, they all suck, I know. In reality, we are a few FA plug-ins away from being good. Mix that with another good draft and we are their. Sorry, throwing 20 million dollars away because we have room to and then dumping our re-building project to start over again is just stupid. Congratulations on being a delusional id!ot. Your parents must be proud.
    How, exactly, am I dumping our rebuilding project by cutting our overpriced FAs, bring in younger FAs at key positions, and drafting better? What do you think rebuilding actually is? Believe it or not, rebuilding isn't stripping your team of all talent and trying to rebuild it with draft picks and undrafted guys.

    The core players who make up the identity of the team are on the wrong side of thirty (LJ, Gonzo, and Waters). We have decent to good young players in Thigpen, Albert, Bowe, Bradley, DJ, Flowers, Carr, and Leggett. We have project players in Cottam, Charles, Robinson, and Dorsey. Am I wrong that we need new starters at the eleven positions I stated? Do you want to go into next season with Jones, McIntosh, Hali, Tank, Boone, Boiman, Niswanger, etc. as our starters?

    Do you think rebuilding is holding onto a malcontent RB on the wrong side of 30 who's an infraction away from a year long suspension? Or Surtain, DeMorrio Williams, Donnie Edwards, Devard Darling, Damon Huard, Page, and Webb? Are any of these guys part of the Chiefs long term future?

    Right now, on our team, the only players that we drafted who are of any use are Carr, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, and Albert. We have mostly terrible starters on our OL and front seven, which are the most crucial positions on a team after QB. Chan Gailey has turned lead into gold on offense and made up for our OL weaknesses by running the spread. Our defense is getting torched by every decent QB who tries because we can't get a pass rush.

    How, exactly, does what I'm suggesting (cutting old, overpriced, useless players, drafting well, and signing good young players) differ from how good teams are built? Why don't you think about it for a while before mouthing off again.

    Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Even though texaschief is wrong about most things, at least he knows something about football. You apparently don't.

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    883
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    How, exactly, am I dumping our rebuilding project by cutting our overpriced FAs, bring in younger FAs at key positions, and drafting better? What do you think rebuilding actually is? Believe it or not, rebuilding isn't stripping your team of all talent and trying to rebuild it with draft picks and undrafted guys.

    The core players who make up the identity of the team are on the wrong side of thirty (LJ, Gonzo, and Waters). We have decent to good young players in Thigpen, Albert, Bowe, Bradley, DJ, Flowers, Carr, and Leggett. We have project players in Cottam, Charles, Robinson, and Dorsey. Am I wrong that we need new starters at the eleven positions I stated? Do you want to go into next season with Jones, McIntosh, Hali, Tank, Boone, Boiman, Niswanger, etc. as our starters?

    Do you think rebuilding is holding onto a malcontent RB on the wrong side of 30 who's an infraction away from a year long suspension? Or Surtain, DeMorrio Williams, Donnie Edwards, Devard Darling, Damon Huard, Page, and Webb? Are any of these guys part of the Chiefs long term future?

    Right now, on our team, the only players that we drafted who are of any use are Carr, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, and Albert. We have mostly terrible starters on our OL and front seven, which are the most crucial positions on a team after QB. Chan Gailey has turned lead into gold on offense and made up for our OL weaknesses by running the spread. Our defense is getting torched by every decent QB who tries because we can't get a pass rush.

    How, exactly, does what I'm suggesting (cutting old, overpriced, useless players, drafting well, and signing good young players) differ from how good teams are built? Why don't you think about it for a while before mouthing off again.

    Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Even though texaschief is wrong about most things, at least he knows something about football. You apparently don't.
    Keep up the facade JM. Ignore the fact that you want to flush 20 mil. No one is saying that those positions should not be replaced. The problem is, you dont understand that this is not possible. Players will be moved around, but not at all how you have it workled out. LJ isnt getting cut either. I would say that you dont know what your talking about, but this - "your stupid", "no your stupid" sh!t is getting old. How about we agree to disagree........ ******.
    Last edited by chief31; 12-18-2008 at 10:05 PM.


    CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

  7. #26
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Keep up the facade JM. Ignore the fact that you want to flush 20 mil. No one is saying that those positions should not be replaced. The problem is, you dont understand that this is not possible. Players will be moved around, but not at all how you have it workled out. LJ isnt getting cut either. I would say that you dont know what your talking about, but this - "your stupid", "no your stupid" sh!t is getting old. How about we agree to disagree........ you jackoff.
    I never said that you were stupid, just that you don't know much about football. You keep throwing insults around, not me. I just posted what I thought should be done with the Chiefs - you're the one who responded with insults. Do you really expect people to take abuse from the likes of you?

    It is very possible to cut the bad players we have, sign good players, and draft well. Either you don't understand what I am saying, or you are ignoring it.

    We're not shelling out an additional $29.3M - it would be dead cap space for bonuses already paid out. This isn't the NBA. We save actual money because we don't have to pay the salaries of these deadbeats next year. All cutting these players does is redice our cap flexibility in signing FAs and rookies. And since we are going to be so massively under the cap in 2009, especially with the cuts, it will not matter unless were are trying to sign a massive number of FAs and we somehow get the top three picks of the draft.

    I don't want to have $29.3M of dead cap space in 2009, but those players we could cut have no value to our team. LJ is a clubhouse cancer. Huard is washed up. Croyle can't stay healthy. Surtain, Darling, Williams, and Edwards are a waste of roster space.

    If we keep these players, we're paying tens of millions of dollars in salaries that we should not pay. As we have the cap flexibility to take the cap hit in 2009, we should do that instead of paying the salaries.

    Now that you know how the salary cap works and the impact of cutting these players, does it finally make sense?

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    883
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I never said that you were stupid, just that you don't know much about football. You keep throwing insults around, not me. I just posted what I thought should be done with the Chiefs - you're the one who responded with insults. Do you really expect people to take abuse from the likes of you?

    It is very possible to cut the bad players we have, sign good players, and draft well. Either you don't understand what I am saying, or you are ignoring it.

    We're not shelling out an additional $29.3M - it would be dead cap space for bonuses already paid out. This isn't the NBA. We save actual money because we don't have to pay the salaries of these deadbeats next year. All cutting these players does is redice our cap flexibility in signing FAs and rookies. And since we are going to be so massively under the cap in 2009, especially with the cuts, it will not matter unless were are trying to sign a massive number of FAs and we somehow get the top three picks of the draft.

    I don't want to have $29.3M of dead cap space in 2009, but those players we could cut have no value to our team. LJ is a clubhouse cancer. Huard is washed up. Croyle can't stay healthy. Surtain, Darling, Williams, and Edwards are a waste of roster space.

    If we keep these players, we're paying tens of millions of dollars in salaries that we should not pay. As we have the cap flexibility to take the cap hit in 2009, we should do that instead of paying the salaries.

    Now that you know how the salary cap works and the impact of cutting these players, does it finally make sense?
    Thanx for the education JM. Oh yeah, before I go. Which of your players are being cut before June 1st and which ones will be cut after? The cap hit will change depending on when it happens. And I was wondering how you were able to figure out what their cap hits were? You would have to look at every one of their contracts (the actual annual breakdown, not just the total) And then figure out how much has already been paid and what hasn't. Most deals are "back loaded" meaning that the majority of the salary is played later, which is why releasing a new contract player is so devastating. Then you would take their signing bonus figure and divide that into the number of years they signed for originally. Once you had that number than you would multiply that by how many years were left. Then add that number to your hit. You might have done all that, If you did, Im a little worried, but more power to ya! This is just the beginning. What kind of Incentive payments did your released players have?Where they likely to be earned or unlikely to be earned. Those are real terms JM. Were they already earned and how did that break down over the remainder of the contract. You can pay for those after this season also. What about all the players that you re-signed? How much did you pay them, what was the breakdown and what was their signing bonus? Thats gonna change your cap room too. Thanx for the lesson.

    PS- You'll know when I'm tryin' to insult you! :fighting0087:
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 12-18-2008 at 05:50 PM.


    CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,767
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

    It is very possible to cut the bad players we have, sign good players, and draft well.

    With the cap hit you've accrued, it's NOT possible to sign good player(S) in 2009. A good play(er)... maybe. "Drafting well" is easier said than done. You SEVERELY underrate the players we have already drafted, ESPECIALLY the DTs. We HAVE drafted well and thanks to Clark Hunt, we're going to get to see those players develop over the next couple years without cutting ties too quickly.

    We're not shelling out an additional $29.3M - it would be dead cap space for bonuses already paid out. This isn't the NBA. We save actual money because we don't have to pay the salaries of these deadbeats next year. All cutting these players does is redice our cap flexibility in signing FAs and rookies. And since we are going to be so massively under the cap in 2009, especially with the cuts, it will not matter unless were are trying to sign a massive number of FAs and we somehow get the top three picks of the draft.

    This entire season, you've been railing against the talent already on this team and think we should cut most of our past three drafts because according to you, "all but 4 are busts." All season you've been wanting us to sign any and every free agent under the sun. But now, with you actually seeing that we'd take a 30 million dollar cap hit, AT LEAST, you're ok with going into next season with the SAME EXACT TEAM we have this year, plus a couple new rookies, just so we could cut a few poor contracts?

    This is not a step forward. I'm sorry.


    I don't want to have $29.3M of dead cap space in 2009, but those players we could cut have no value to our team. LJ is a clubhouse cancer. Huard is washed up. Croyle can't stay healthy. Surtain, Darling, Williams, and Edwards are a waste of roster space.

    If we keep these players, we're paying tens of millions of dollars in salaries that we should not pay. As we have the cap flexibility to take the cap hit in 2009, we should do that instead of paying the salaries.

    Now that you know how the salary cap works and the impact of cutting these players, does it finally make sense?
    The way these contracts are structured, the best thing to do, would be to cut each of these players before their last contract year and avoid such enormous cap penalties. The contracts are made specifically FOR "cap flexibility." That's one of the reasons why we have so much cap space this off season.

    This entire thread has gotten out of hand. It really doesn't matter what the fans think they want, they're going to rebuild through the draft, just the way they did this past year. They might sign two or three free agents each year, but it would be only to plug a couple holes and not to build the foundation. I'm excited that Mr. Hunt is committed to the path that we are currently on. It's the correct way to build a football team. I honestly don't know enough about many of the candidates that we're looking at for GM, but as long as Hunt hires a guy who sticks to the plan, I'm all for it.

    Luckily, that looks to be the road we're on.

  10. #29
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Thanx for the education JM. Oh yeah, before I go. Which of your players are being cut before June 1st and which ones will be cut after? The cap hit will change depending on when it happens. And I was wondering how you were able to figure out what their cap hits were? You would have to look at every one of their contracts (the actual annual breakdown, not just the total) And then figure out how much has already been paid and what hasn't. Most deals are "back loaded" meaning that the majority of the salary is played later, which is why releasing a new contract player is so devastating. Then you would take their signing bonus figure and divide that into the number of years they signed for originally. Once you had that number than you would multiply that by how many years were left. Then add that number to your hit. You might have done all that, If you did, Im a little worried, but more power to ya! This is just the beginning. What kind of Incentive payments did your released players have?Where they likely to be earned or unlikely to be earned. Those are real terms JM. Were they already earned and how did that break down over the remainder of the contract. You can pay for those after this season also. What about all the players that you re-signed? How much did you pay them, what was the breakdown and what was their signing bonus? Thats gonna change your cap room too. Thanx for the lesson.

    PS- You'll know when I'm tryin' to insult you! :fighting0087:
    I agree with TexasChief that this thread has gotten out of hand. However, a few things need to be cleared up. First of all, more than likely there will be cuts. I know it is crazy to waste millions of dollars, but with a new GM and potentially a new head coach, the team will take another transformation. Now, you say the team won't do such a thing because it would cost millions. Well, if we have so much cap room, then this would be the best time to lose those players. Let's look at LJ. You said he signed a deal worth nearly 50 million. So you would rather keep the player who is no longer playing at a high level and pay him the entire contract instead of cutting him and only paying him a portion of the contract? The signing bonus is the only guaranteed money. So even though it's 19 million or whatever, you take the hit so you can have that freedom the season after that.

    Now, I don't think JM has all the answers since he does not give enough credit to the players we already have. However, players like Surtain, LJ, and MacIntosh will probably be gone after season. You have to see that this could possibly happen, and it won't be the end of the franchise.

  11. #30
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The way these contracts are structured, the best thing to do, would be to cut each of these players before their last contract year and avoid such enormous cap penalties. The contracts are made specifically FOR "cap flexibility." That's one of the reasons why we have so much cap space this off season.

    This entire thread has gotten out of hand. It really doesn't matter what the fans think they want, they're going to rebuild through the draft, just the way they did this past year. They might sign two or three free agents each year, but it would be only to plug a couple holes and not to build the foundation. I'm excited that Mr. Hunt is committed to the path that we are currently on. It's the correct way to build a football team. I honestly don't know enough about many of the candidates that we're looking at for GM, but as long as Hunt hires a guy who sticks to the plan, I'm all for it.

    Luckily, that looks to be the road we're on.
    Only time will tell on this and we'll have to agree to disagree until we see what the new GM does.

    You are wrong about two things in particular:

    1. I never said that we should cut most of the past three drafts. I said we shouldn't resign them when their rookie contracts are up. The only guy I said to cut from any of our past three drafts is Croyle.

    2. If we get someone in demand (Polian, Pioli), we're not staying the course. If we get a CP lackey, we will. And if we get a CP lackey, we're going to keep losing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •