Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cohwer Crazy

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

Post Cohwer Crazy

It seems everyone has gone crazy wishing Bill Cohwer would be our next coach. I've not even heard he was interested in coaching again. Is this just wishing or has he said he might get back in the game?
    I hope he does coach here but doubt it will happen. The only way I see him coming out of retirement to coach here if he has not expressed interest is if we kidnapped his mustache and held it hostage till he agreed to coach here.
    :character00110::character00221:
    Oh No! He's shooting Snoopy!:scared2:

Every team is nuts bout Bill as Coach.

Its like the lottery or something.

He has connections here. Well, had. We COULD be the front runners if he decides to come out of retirement and if we happen to be looking for a coach. I wonder if Crennell would be willing to accept a DC job after he gets fired from Cleveland. He was a great DC at New England.

Cowher has said multiple times that he is enjoying retirement and does not plan on returning anytime soon. But when you are coach of his caliber who is barely over 50 years old, teams will try their hardest to bring him back.

I was watching the pre-game show hmm maybe 3 weekends ago. They where talking about coaches that should be fired and you had all the guys huddle around Cowher like he is hiding something and then they say something about how Cowher has his "list" of coaching jobs that should be open but would not say what they are.

Seemed like they all knew something about Cowher coaching this next year, but of course this happened before CP got canned so who knows if it means anything.

I just heard on ESPN that Cleveland was willing to cough up 8-9 million for him and give him the control over personnel that he's looking for and that's for his first year of coaching. Its hard to compete with that. I would love to have Cowher here, but its not likely with that type of money floating around.

I think it is just a dream right now to get Cowher for the Chiefs head coach.

ESPN's rumor central:

Cowher staying retired?
    Bill Cowher | Steelers | Interested: Browns?
    Steelers chairman Dan Rooney believes retired coach Bill Cowher, rumored to be headed to Cleveland, will not return to coaching in 2009, with the Browns or any team.
    "I will say to you that every time I talk to him and this subject comes up -- and the subject does come up almost every year at this time -- he says that he's very, very happy with what he's doing, where he is," Rooney told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Cowher, 51, is regarded as the top candidate to replace current Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel if Crennel is fired after the season. Cowher, 51, stepped down as Steelers coach after the 2006 season.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    He has connections here. Well, had. We COULD be the front runners if he decides to come out of retirement and if we happen to be looking for a coach. I wonder if Crennell would be willing to accept a DC job after he gets fired from Cleveland. He was a great DC at New England.
    Quote Originally Posted by lansdale01 View Post
    I just heard on ESPN that Cleveland was willing to cough up 8-9 million for him and give him the control over personnel that he's looking for and that's for his first year of coaching. Its hard to compete with that. I would love to have Cowher here, but its not likely with that type of money floating around.
    Yes, Cowher has ties to the Chiefs. But he started with the Browns. If he comes back, I think it would be very likely to the Chiefs or Browns.

I think the 5 key advantages the Chiefs have working for them are:
    1. We aren't in the same division as the Steelers. I would think that there is probably a gentleman's agreement that he would not come back and coach a team within their own division. Imagine if Mike Shanahan retired from the Broncos this year, then decided 3 years later to come back and coach the Chiefs. It just would not happen.

2. We have an open GM spot. That means it could be given to Cowher or he could have a strong hand in who is put in the position as part of his agreeing to coach the Chiefs.

3. Previous ties to the Chiefs organization.

4. Similar team to the Steelers. Super fan base. Defense first, offense second(historically). Sellout crowds, outdoor stadium with mystique. Severe home field advantage(historically).

5. Blue collar town similar to Pittsburgh. Great family environment.

With all that said, I just wonder how happy our fans would be with Cowher running the show. He is a run first, pass second, hard-nosed, control the clock, smash-mouth football kind of guy. Very similar philosophy as Herm Edwards. He would have the chance to work with Chan Gailey again. That would give them a jumpstart on offense.

I am in favor of bringing in Cowher for several reasons:
    1. He may not have a Vermeil "highlight reel" offense, but his style of football wins games.
    2. He is a proven winner.
    3. He can motivate players.
    4. He is Defense first. I miss the days when our defense used to kick the snot bubbles out of other teams.

I hope we get Cowher.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-24-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yes, Cowher has ties to the Chiefs. But he started with the Browns. If he comes back, I think it would be very likely to the Chiefs or Browns.

I think the 5 key advantages the Chiefs have working for them are:
    1. We aren't in the same division as the Steelers. I would think that there is probably a gentleman's agreement that he would not come back and coach a team within their own division. Imagine if Mike Shanahan retired from the Broncos this year, then decided 3 years later to come back and coach the Chiefs. It just would not happen.

2. We have an open GM spot. That means it could be given to Cowher or he could have a strong hand in who is put in the position as part of his agreeing to coach the Chiefs.

3. Previous ties to the Chiefs organization.

4. Similar team to the Steelers. Super fan base. Defense first, offense second(historically). Sellout crowds, outdoor stadium with mystique. Severe home field advantage(historically).

5. Blue collar town similar to Pittsburgh. Great family environment.

With all that said, I just wonder how happy our fans would be with Cowher running the show. He is a run first, pass second, hard-nosed, control the clock, smash-mouth football kind of guy. Very similar philosophy as Herm Edwards. He would have the chance to work with Chan Gailey again. That would give them a jumpstart on offense.

I am in favor of bringing in Cowher for several reasons:
    1. He may not have a Vermeil "highlight reel" offense, but his style of football wins games.
    2. He is a proven winner.
    3. He can motivate players.
    4. He is Defense first. I miss the days when our defense used to kick the snot bubbles out of other teams.

I hope we get Cowher.
    Cowher has previous ties to the chiefs? I liked your 2nd number 4, . I remember when the chiefs' defense used to kick the snot bubbles out of the other team too.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast