Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's what we do with our #1 pick:

Default Here's what we do with our #1 pick:

Trade down. Chances are, there's going to be a high-profile QB sitting there when we are on the clock and I can guarantee you there are a few teams that will be starving to draft the next Ryan or Flacco. Unless Bradford falls in our lap (which I doubt he will) our best bet is to trade down and stock pile draft picks. Swapping for a later 1st round pick wouldn't be so bad either. Chances are there could still be a decent LB or lineman still available.
    I can confidently say that, other than Bradford, the only other player at the top of the board who'd be worth taking is Michael Crabtree from Texas Tech. If we decide to go with the spread next year, this might be a pretty wise pick. I really don't see this kid being anything other than spectacular. We still don't have a surefire gamebreaker (sorry, D-Bowe) and he could be... scratch that... would be the answer.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

I agree, we should trade down, early draft picks are expensive and rarely work out in the end. Certainly, the number of quarterbacks taken in the first round rarely work out.

We were talking about that the other day and one guy had a really good thought on why first round QBs don't pan out well. Consider the Chiefs at the moment, we suck so bad that any young QB we stick in the backfield will rarely get enough time to read the defenses and adjust as they should.

We need an offensive line before we go pick up any hot shot QBs.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I think if we can't trade down in the draft, then we should draft an OT. Michael Oher, Andre Smith, or Eugene Monroe are all worth taking in the top 5. If we can trade down, then I say we go after the top linebacker. Michael Crabtree is a great player. However, I don't know if the Chiefs should go for the best player available or go more towards a team need. But I think whatever the direction the new GM goes, I can support the Chiefs. We have so many needs that we could draft any of the top players to help our team.

Personally I think the High QB draftees will be lower than you think. late first or maybe even 2nd round.

Because this 2009 draft will be the last time high amounts of $$ will have to be paid before players have to prove themsilves. And paying too much for another Jamarcus Russell is too risky.

In 2010 the teams wont have to worry bout it. You get paid after you prove yourself.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Draft a guard in 1st or trade down if the guard we want falls down. Stick with Thigpen if we cant get Stafford and go with guards in 1st and 2nd rounds!

No chance. It has not happened in quite some time. The big money number 1 requires has changed the ability to trade down from the top. In fact, everyone would like to be lower. Take us (dolphins) for example. We tried very hard to get out of that spot and then had to settle for taking Long number 1 after no takers. Add the kind of money it takes as well as the amount of picks it takes and it just isn't worth it to trade up to a top 5 spot any more for any team no matter the needs.

Good point, huck. Yet another reason why rookie salary limits should be introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    Draft a guard in 1st or trade down if the guard we want falls down. Stick with Thigpen if we cant get Stafford and go with guards in 1st and 2nd rounds!
    Guards usually don't get taken in the first round, so it is more likely the Chiefs will draft an OT and move Albert around. Albert has the versatility to play any position on the OL, which makes the rebuilding process better.

Yes, trading down would be great! However, you have to find a team that is willing to spend alot of draft pick value and contract money too move up. This situation is very difficult to find and secure!!!!!

I will not be surprised if Crabtree is projected as the #1 player in the draft. If we decide to stick with Thigpen and the spread offense, then I think Crabtree is going to be very hard to pass up. Bowe and Crabtree, wow. We can get a good guard in the later rounds. My concern is the DE/LB needs. If we can trade out of the pick, I think the Chiefs will do it, and can get a good LB/DE in the mid-late 1st round. If they can't trade out of it, I think the Chiefs will have to take Crabtree if he is still on the board. He is the only player that will be worth Top 5 money. If Oakland picks before us, Crabtree will be gone though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast