Thread: Rebuilding the Chiefs: A "How to" Guide

Default Rebuilding the Chiefs: A "How to" Guide

Interesting thoughts on our strife by a Colts fan who's seen a very similar situation.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/1...he-chiefs-a-ho

Here's a little snippet:
    ESTABLISHING CULTURE AND PICKING A COACH
    Now I'll take my Clark Hunt mask off and let's just sat Marc Ross is smart and takes the job.After a nice press conference, where Marc and Clark are seen as the new face of the KC Chiefs, ushering in a new dawn, now comes the time to establish a new culture in KC.
    First and foremost, Herm Edwards and his staff are fired.
    No offense to Herm lovers out there, but he is a world class, Grade A faker who does not know how to manage a football game, and knows even less about how a real NFL offense is supposed to run. I remember hearing about a sports columnist in NY (Steve Cohen) interviewing Edwards on why he wasn't using then-rookie Santana Moss more in his offense. Moss was a first round pick, and the Jets were desperate for big plays from the WR corps. Herm responded by saying Moss wasn't picked to play WR. He can help return punts and kicks. Cohen was understandably flabbergasted by this statement, because only morons draft WRs in the first round if all they are going to do is return punts and kicks. Cohen went on to say that Herm Edwards simply had no understanding of how modern NFL offenses run, which I guess explained why the Jets ran a West Coast-style offense in a stadium known for extreme windy conditions.
    So, gone are Herm, Gunther Cunningham, Chan Gailey, and anyone else brought in by Carl Peterson. Clean slate.
    Nice. Except keep Chan. Dude made a productive offense out of essentially lumps of clay.
    Last edited by PawnshopMarimba; 12-17-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Interesting thoughts on our strife by a Colts fan who's seen a very similar situation.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/1...he-chiefs-a-ho

Here's a little snippet:

Nice. Except keep Chan. Dude made a productive offense out of essentially lumps of clay.
    I agreed with most of what he wrote. The Santana Moss tidbit doesn't surprise me even slightly.

I like Chan and Thigpen. I think they've done terrifically this year in making our team competitive. I think the next GM and HC should look at keeping them. But if they want their own people at QB and OC, well, I can't argue that much.

Yeah, I would definitely at least give Thiggy a fighting chance next year. He makes mistakes, but even the best quarterbacks typically don't do too well their first season as a starter.

As I see it, the job is HIS until someone can take it from him.

Keep Thig, but draft a QB and have them compete. It will only make both of them better.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Don't even worry about the QB position. Thigpen is, at the very least, a competent starter who will likely get better with these starts, some time, and experience. It helps a team, I think, to not have a QB controversy going into camp.

That said- SHORE UP THE LINES. A fearsome pass rushing DE, and for the offense, both right guard and right tackle. And don't be afraid to pick up someone through FA, as well as the draft. Young is great, but crafty veteran mentors are useful too.

Make at least some effort to improve that linebacking corps. DJ is good, but he needs some other guys around him that are better than ok. Secondary is good, but if the right FA or draft pick was there, bolster it. Both kicker and punter are in good shape, I think.

WRs are looking good, with Bowe, Bradley, Gonzo, and the new TE. I'm not familiar enough with the other WRs on the team to judge them. Will Franklin seems like he could be great if developed. I like us at RB- most of our rushing offense problems come from blocking.

So in short- the lines. Linebackers. We've got to keep people from scoring to win some of these games.

JB

Exactly. I don't know if I'd spend any more FA dollars on a LB. We've had some nasty luck in that department... of course that could have more to do with Gunny than the talent. Really, just one serious DE FA could help out drastically. Tamba would be relevant again, at the very least, since all the attention would be aimed at the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Exactly. I don't know if I'd spend any more FA dollars on a LB. We've had some nasty luck in that department... of course that could have more to do with Gunny than the talent. Really, just one serious DE FA could help out drastically. Tamba would be relevant again, at the very least, since all the attention would be aimed at the other side.
    I agree that a great DE opposite of Tamba will boost Tamba's sack numbers significantly. Tamba has always been great when the attention was off of him (he did well with JA on the other side last year).

I disagree about LBs in FA. I think in the past we have either picked up people on the downside of their careers (Edwards) or people that project players "only" needed some coaching to be excellent (Harris, Williams). I would like to see us sign a LB this year that is well known and respected throughout the league who has all the skills to start now. I wouldnt mind if we also drafted a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I would like to see us sign a LB this year that is well known and respected throughout the league who has all the skills to start now.
    Karlos Dansby fits that definition perfectly.