Thread: edwards not going to step down

Default edwards not going to step down

Sources: Chiefs coach Edwards not quitting

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

Updated: December 20, 2008, 4:54 PM ET

Edwards Not Quitting As Chiefs Coach

Herm Edwards won't quit as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, but sources say that with only one year left on his contract, he may not have the energy to embrace a run with a new general manager after Carl Peterson resigned Monday.
    Chiefs owner Clark Hunt has commenced a search for a new GM, saying he has a "long working list" of candidates that he'd like to get to a "manageable" number over the next two weeks before he focuses on an intensive interview process.
    Hunt's elimination of Bill Kuharich, the team vice president of player personnel, as a GM candidate already has made Edwards somewhat disappointed about the process, sources said.
    Also, Edwards has a young family, with two children under 5 years old, and the strain of a season that has resulted in several gut-wrenching losses has taken its toll on him, the sources added.
    AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.Blog network: NFL Nation

Even though the Chiefs have lost 21 of their last 23 games under Edwards, Hunt told ESPN: "I've been supportive of the job he's done and approach he's made to rebuild the franchise. When we went into this process, we both knew it would be hard but it's been harder than expected.
    "I like the path we've gone with the younger players even though I wished we'd won more games. I want a new GM who believes in building the team through the draft with young players."
    Edwards does not intend to resign but will wait on a resolution that brings more clarity to his future, the sources said. That could include a mutual decision in which Hunt honors the final year of his contract.

I would not expect Edwards to step down. It's not like it is going to be easy for him to find another job.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I would not expect Edwards to step down. It's not like it is going to be easy for him to find another job.
    I just don't see him having much say in the matter. If the new GM wants a new head coach, Hunt will probably agree.