Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull the trigger, fire the GUN!

Default Pull the trigger, fire the GUN!

I went into this season as one of the biggest Gunther Cunningham supporters 'round these parts but I can't stand it any longer. You look at every close game we lost this year and how we lost those games. You can pretty much boil it down to our D not stopping anybody, especially late in the game when the tension is high. The Cover 2 defense that we supposedly run is supposed to pretty much always have two men covering the flats and one man covering the middle of the field. Yet, SOMEHOW, those spots are ALWAYS OPEN!
    And someone explain to me why whenever the Phins lined up in the wildcat formation we didn't blitz the living sh*t out of them? They're not gonna pass it. The only plays they got in that formation are options and end arounds. I really hate our Defense. Sorry, Gun, you gots to go.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

I will agree with you on this. It seems like every week the D plays fine until half time and then other teams pick up on the Defense and we never make the halftime changes that we need to. Time for a change... We have the players now they need some guidence

Question

I feel the players are only as good as the people teaching them, now gun has a Great history with the Chiefs up until the Herm Edwards era, so this tells me either Herm has too much say so in the plays that Gun runs or maybe our players don't have any Faith in themselfs or there team. I mean at 2 and 13 does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    I feel the players are only as good as the people teaching them, now gun has a Great history with the Chiefs up until the Herm Edwards era, so this tells me either Herm has too much say so in the plays that Gun runs or maybe our players don't have any Faith in themselfs or there team. I mean at 2 and 13 does it really matter?
    That sounds logical; at halftime Herm is probably going at every single mistake the guys make, until they start to 'live' the negativity Herm spouts. For this - we need to get rid of Herm but its not all Herm's or the coaches' fault because the players can make SOMETHING happen if they so choose. They choose not to, that's why I call them kids or babies - they are still in the "just as long as you have fun, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose" mode from when they were in grade school. Those kids are getting a nice paycheck to WIN, they should be past grade school football!
    Last edited by hardcorechiefsfan; 12-21-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

[quote=okikcfan;109428]gun has a Great history with the Chiefs up until the Herm Edwards era, so this tells me either Herm has too much say so in the plays that Gun runs or maybe our players don't have any Faith in themselfs or there team.quote]

This isn't right. Gun had a good history with us until he became our head coach. Our defense definately started in a downward spiral ever since then and it has been nothing but garbage since he came back. I don't feel like Edwards has as much to do with the performance of Gun's defense as much as Derrick Thomas made Gun's defenses look good.
    And while I'm *****ing and moaning I'd like to point out that DJ is worthless. I like the guys heart and physical demeanor but he just doesn't have it. He might flourish in a system with two other good-great LBs but when he's left alone, he just can't make the plays. He's too slow and I really feel like he doesn't care half the time. Brandon Flowers has blown up at least three times as many plays this year and he's half the size of Johnson. How you gonna tell me that a dude who's not much bigger than me is running up and stuffing RBs when our "star #1 pick" who's supposed to be as physical as they come is laying on his *** because he couldn't shread through a WR trying to block him. Pathetic.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

[quote=Nel Toille;109432]
    Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    gun has a Great history with the Chiefs up until the Herm Edwards era, so this tells me either Herm has too much say so in the plays that Gun runs or maybe our players don't have any Faith in themselfs or there team.quote]

This isn't right. Gun had a good history with us until he became our head coach. Our defense definately started in a downward spiral ever since then and it has been nothing but garbage since he came back. I don't feel like Edwards has as much to do with the performance of Gun's defense as much as Derrick Thomas made Gun's defenses look good.
    And while I'm *****ing and moaning I'd like to point out that DJ is worthless. I like the guys heart and physical demeanor but he just doesn't have it. He might flourish in a system with two other good-great LBs but when he's left alone, he just can't make the plays. He's too slow and I really feel like he doesn't care half the time. Brandon Flowers has blown up at least three times as many plays this year and he's half the size of Johnson. How you gonna tell me that a dude who's not much bigger than me is running up and stuffing RBs when our "star #1 pick" who's supposed to be as physical as they come is laying on his *** because he couldn't shread through a WR trying to block him. Pathetic.
    Well how the hell can DJ be ANY good when the line can't stop the run, AT ALL! Then throw in the fact that our CB talent sucks. What can the guy do? He can't be everywhere at once. DJ is talented but with a line that can't pressure QB's and can't stop RB's, he's pretty well stuck trying to clean up their mess.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

DJ should be better, theres no question. It has more to do with coaching than with DJ himself. The dude has talent, but hes kind of a puss. he doesnt have that ray lewis, shawne merriman, joey porter attitude and strength of an elite LB (which he was supposed to be if i remember correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    That sounds logical; at halftime Herm is probably going at every single mistake the guys make, until they start to 'live' the negativity Herm spouts. For this - we need to get rid of Herm but its not all Herm's or the coaches' fault because the players can make SOMETHING happen if they so choose. They choose not to, that's why I call them kids or babies - they are still in the "just as long as you have fun, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose" mode from when they were in grade school. Those kids are getting a nice paycheck to WIN, they should be past grade school football!
    Yes, the players take some blame, but do not confuse lack of ability with bad coaching. Today was bad coaching. Gunther's defense under Herm has a tendency to over-pursue, bad tacklers, and take bad angles. What does that say? Bad coaching. All those things can be trained. Yet it is what the Chiefs do wrong. So the blame should fall on Gunther.

DJ is a good player. He will make more plays once other linebackers are around him.

Anytime a team looks good in the first half, then looks like a completely different team(worse) in the 2nd half, I think you have to look at the coaches. Whether it be the conditioning of the players or the halftime adjustments, it still falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

This team has had this problem all year. Not occasionally. All year. They are being outcoached.

Coaching controls everything that happens on a team. Good job in the first half, suck in the second half, thats coaching. Off with his Head, Sorta speak....JK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast