Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs officially locked into top 3

Default Chiefs officially locked into top 3

With the Bengals' win today, even if the Chiefs beat them next week, the Bengals can only lose 12 games because of their tie with Philly. That automatically puts the Chiefs in front of them no matter the outcome next week. The Seahawks just beat the Jets which gives them 4 wins. They're out. As of this writing, the Raiders are up on the Texans by eleven with 1:16 left. They've pretty much locked up their 4th win. They're out.

That leaves the win-less Lions who have clinched the #1 spot and St. Louis who plays the Falcons next week in Atlanta. If both the Chiefs AND Rams lose, I'm not sure who has the weakest schedule. I'm pretty sure they would considering we will only play 3 games against 2 sub-.500 teams. I'd expect our schedule to be ranked among the top as far as strength.

So, unless the Rams can pull of a shocker in Atlanta, the Chiefs are pretty much locked in the #3 spot.

Who do y'all like?

I'm not sure dj is our mlb either. He may have the physical characteristics, but doesn't have the instinct to get to the football. But I also judge mlb's on how Singletary use to play the position...
    SHUT IT

Crabtree has great hands and size, but seems kinda slow (if his projected speed is correct)

I HATE to see us use the 3rd overall on a DE or MLB that most in this draft would take a few years to make a impact. The DE's seem small and will probably need a few years. Rey Maualuga MLB would honestly be my pick for the ONE DE/MLB that could come into the NFL and make a impact right away.

We need to do what ever we can on getting Suggs or Peppers in FA so we wouldn't have to take a risk on one of the DE's with our 3rd overall pick.

A stud MLB in FA would also help. Plus if we do get our DE in FA and still need a MLB from the draft I just keep finding it hard to think Rey Maualuga is worth the 3rd overall.

My choice would be to get our DE/MLB in FA then trade down for Duke Robinson guard and get an extra 2nd and 3rd. OR the Pats first and both there 2nd's. Then grab Alex Mack Center with our 2nd pick.

OR if we can't trade down then I guess we really have to take a DE or MLB if we don't get them in FA, but if we get them both and can not trade down Hmmmm I say the BPA.

Also I agree if we drafted a QB we coudl always trade them later on, BUT you said "what is the damage" of doing something like this? Well if we don't get our DE/MLB in FA then "The Damage" is us not getting our Pass/run guy on D that we need more then anything.

Great points on each side, but I say only draft a QB if we don't get at least our DE OR MLB in FA.

I think once the Chiefs improve the linebacking core, DJ will look good. I think he does better on the outside. If (that's a big IF) we can trade down, that is probably what the Chiefs will do. They will probably go after one of the top linebackers if they can move down. If they stay where they are, I see them taking an OT. I like Michael Oher out of the three top OTs.

If we could get a good DE in free agency, how about trading down to grab Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest and then Spikes at MLB in the second? In the third, we could grab Antoine Caldwell at C and push Niswanger over to G. I wouldn't mind that LB corp either.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    If we could get a good DE in free agency, how about trading down to grab Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest and then Spikes at MLB in the second? In the third, we could grab Antoine Caldwell at C and push Niswanger over to G. I wouldn't mind that LB corp either.
    Agreed but I think Spikes will be gone in 1st round..
    SHUT IT

I really like Aaron Curry. He looks like he could solve some problems for us. I don't think that Spikes will be there in the second round, but instead, how about picking up Jonathan Vilma from FA. I doubt the Saints will re-sign him because they will have to give up a first round for him if they do.

And for DE, Terrell Suggs. He has a high motor, brings intensity to the field. and will only be 26 years old at the start of next season. He played DE in college, so the move back will not be bad for him.

I wouldn't mind Suggs, but after doing a little more reading on Vilma, I'm almost positive that he'll hit the free agent market. Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in high school, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint, and this is a possible cause behind his season-ending injury in 2007.

He's going to command a big contract because of his production this season. I doubt the Saints will be willing to give up a 1st round pick and a huge salary as an investment on a guy with that kind of condition. Especially when they could get a much cheaper option with that 1st round pick in the draft. (Lauranitis/Spikes)

That being said, if the Chiefs don't spend outrageously on his contract, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. But if we get rid of Herm, we get rid of the only advantage we would have to get him here.

If we canot get Curry or Maualuga, another guy that I like is Brian Cushing out of USC. He is an OLB projected as a late 1st round, early 2nd rounder.

I wouldn't mind Suggs, but after doing a little more reading on Vilma, I'm almost positive that he'll hit the free agent market. Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in high school, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint, and this is a possible cause behind his season-ending injury in 2007.

He's going to command a big contract because of his production this season. I doubt the Saints will be willing to give up a 1st round pick and a huge salary as an investment on a guy with that kind of condition. Especially when they could get a much cheaper option with that 1st round pick in the draft. (Lauranitis/Spikes)

That being said, if the Chiefs don't spend outrageously on his contract, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. But if we get rid of Herm, we get rid of the only advantage we would have to get him here.
    I don't think Vilma will care about that. But he is still a good player, so I would do what it takes to lock him up for 3-4 years. He will only be 27 years old at the start of next season. What I like most about him is his speed and coverage skills. One of our biggest problems are covering tight ends.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    If we canot get Curry or Maualuga, another guy that I like is Brian Cushing out of USC. He is an OLB projected as a late 1st round, early 2nd rounder.
    "If we can't get them?" We'll have the #3 pick at worst. We can take practically anyone we want.

Also, to answer what Coach said, the best possible thing for the Chiefs is if Crabtree falls to us. He would represent the most value at the #3 spot. Teams will know the Chiefs want to trade down and will probably make any deal they can to get out of that spot. This should drive the price up and the Chiefs could walk away with a huge deal!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast