Default Someone should be fired for the way the Chiefs are using Dorsey

Title says it all. Interesting article.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...ry/947588.html

Someone should be fired for the way the Chiefs are using Dorsey

By JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

More News

$(document).ready(function() { replaceRelated(160);});
    After the Chiefs’ latest loss — a 38-31 thriller to the Dolphins courtesy of Kansas City’s three-point second-half explosion — I intended to write a column summarizing what progress has been made this season.
    It was going to be a very short story. But then, as I was standing in the corner waiting to get a private word with Herm Edwards, a squatty, would-be linebacker/fullback walked by me on the way to the shower. Tattooed on the back of his shoulders were six rather large letters D-O-R-S-E-Y.
    “That’s Glenn Dorsey, the Chiefs’ No. 1 draft pick?”
    The realization totally blew my mind. Oh, I’ve seen Dorsey plenty in the locker room after games. But never barefoot. And never without a clear view of his face. Until Sunday, I had no clue that Glenn Dorsey is a shade below 6 feet tall. You put him in a police lineup with other NFL players, and you peg him as a plodding fullback. He’s Lorenzo Neal.
    Now Dorsey’s disappointing season makes perfect sense, and the case to retain Herm Edwards and his coaching staff gets even more difficult to argue.
    What in the hell are they doing playing Dorsey straight-up over a guard?
    This is the single-worst, defensive-strategy decision I’ve seen in 15 years of covering the NFL. Honestly, defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham and defensive-line coach Tim Krumrie should be fired today and not allowed to travel to Cincinnati for the season finale.
    And Herm Edwards owes Clark Hunt a detailed explanation of why he allowed Dorsey’s rookie season to be wasted by a boneheaded scheme. Short of Cunningham and Krumrie owning compromising blackmail photos of Edwards, Hunt has no choice but to promptly relieve Edwards of his responsibilities.
    You don’t draft a 5-foot-11, 300-pound defensive tackle at No. 5 overall, give him $20-plus million in guaranteed money and then ask him to be a run-stuffer lined head-up over a guard.
    For those of you who know little about line play, it’s the equivalent of the Indianapolis Colts turning Peyton Manning into an option quarterback. If Indianapolis did that, Colts fans would justifiably rush the field and trample Tony Dungy and his offensive coaching staff.
    Dorsey is listed at 6-1, 297 pounds. Even at those dimensions, the strategy is asininely inappropriate. But if Dorsey is 6-1, then I’m the ******* son of Carl Peterson and Oprah Winfrey.
    Dorsey is a butterball, a Jerry Ball, a three-technique tackle who should line up on the outside shoulder of the guard and explode upfield. That’s the only way he can be successful in the NFL. As long as he lines up helmet to helmet with a guard, he’ll remain a line-of-scrimmage statue.
    “He has no chance in pass rush,” guard Brian Waters told me. “I love it when a guy lines head-up.”
    Members of the Chiefs’ scouting department have blamed Dorsey’s subpar rookie season on the extra weight they allege he’s carrying. I’ve been told on two separate occasions that KC’s scouting department evaluated a 300-pounder who is now playing at 315. The personnel guys stand behind their evaluation of Dorsey, the insinuation being a lighter Dorsey would be a more effective Dorsey.
    “The way we’re playing him, he better be 315,” Waters said. “He would get destroyed in the run game at 300.”
    Given his size and style of play at LSU, there’s only one justification for taking Dorsey at No. 5: You believe he has a chance to be the kind of backfield-disrupter that Warren Sapp (6-1, 300 in his prime) was. Sapp used his explosiveness, quickness and power to get in gaps and force the action.

this is a well written article that speaks the truth get rid of gun and tim

I'm certain someone will be...fired that is.

I hope there is an explanation for his ineffectiveness. This is the best one I've seen.

This is stupid. I'm tired of everyone saying that Dorsey's a bust when his numbers aren't any worse than Sapp's or Haynesworth's were in their rookie seasons. I mean, last year, Tank Tyler was a flabby waste of space, but he obviously bulked up and elevated his game tremendously this season. You have to give defensive linemen a year or so to get up to speed and to put on enough muscle to compete at this level.
    Oh, and for the record, if Dorsey lined up against Whitlock, he'd kick his *** and then sack Jeff George for a ten yard loss.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Nel Toille View Post
    This is stupid. I'm tired of everyone saying that Dorsey's a bust when his numbers aren't any worse than Sapp's or Haynesworth's were in their rookie seasons. I mean, last year, Tank Tyler was a flabby waste of space, but he obviously bulked up and elevated his game tremendously this season. You have to give defensive linemen a year or so to get up to speed and to put on enough muscle to compete at this level.
    Oh, and for the record, if Dorsey lined up against Whitlock, he'd kick his *** and then sack Jeff George for a ten yard loss.
    Whitlock was not really making fun of Dorsey. He was saying that it's the coach's fault because they are trying to use him as a space eater instead of having him rip between the gap into the backfield. I think we all agree that Dorsey will be a great player. It is dumb for people to say he is a bust after one season, especially at a position where the learning curve from college to NFL is so great.

They all should be fired. Herm. Gunther. D-line coach (whatever his name is). When you are trying to rebuild a team, you cannot waste a season on teaching a player the wrong way to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nel Toille View Post
    i think you took that whole article wrong like waters said the defensive lineman are at a huge disadvantage when they line up like that.whitlock was putting the blame solely on the coaches.he never called him a bust