Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Larry Johnson...near future?

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Larry Johnson...near future?


    0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys...any talk around kansas city about Larry Johnson's status for the near future? I mean if the Chiefs play well enough in the spread offence in their remaining games do the chiefs let go of larry who is sometimes a distraction and just go with a couple shifty running backs like charles and kolby and a goaline RB. Larry's production is somewhat reduced because of the spread...so would this make any sense?

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 111

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by leoness8 View Post
    Hey guys...any talk around kansas city about Larry Johnson's status for the near future? I mean if the Chiefs play well enough in the spread offence in their remaining games do the chiefs let go of larry who is sometimes a distraction and just go with a couple shifty running backs like charles and kolby and a goaline RB. Larry's production is somewhat reduced because of the spread...so would this make any sense?
    I dont live in KC, so I dont have any insider info. But I wouldnt be surprised if they wait to see the outcome of his court dates in Jan. If he is given a slap on the wrist, and the league doesnt give him too much more punishment, then the Chiefs will prob look to re-negotiate his contract.

    His agent quit during the middle of all the suspensions he had this year, either for reasons we wont ever know, or because he knows LJ is about to eat a pay cut.

    If the Chiefs can renegotiate his contract, I think Herm will try to keep him. Herm loves having a big back that can pound the ball if we have a lead, and I dont think he sees that in Charles.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    IF they can get a 2nd rounder I say do it and draft Shonn Greene in the 3rd to replace LJ.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    633
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I've said it before, LJ won't be here next season. The team is way under the salary cap and LJ isn't producing. Add that to his multiple arrests, his on field tantrums, his rumored dislike by other players in the locker room and you have a recipe for either a trade or flat out release. He's also going to turn 30 next season and by all appearances he just can't stay out of trouble. He was way too much down side and not nearly enough upside to keep him around.

    Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 111

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    I've said it before, LJ won't be here next season. The team is way under the salary cap and LJ isn't producing. Add that to his multiple arrests, his on field tantrums, his rumored dislike by other players in the locker room and you have a recipe for either a trade or flat out release. He's also going to turn 30 next season and by all appearances he just can't stay out of trouble. He was way too much down side and not nearly enough upside to keep him around.
    I kind of disagree. Yes LJ isnt producing raw numbers, but I think that when the line gives him a small lane, he is breaking runs for yardage. The problem is that he is either hit in the backfield or they penetrate/stuff the hole and make him change direction before he hits the line. I dont think there is a right or wrong stance on that, though.

    As far as us being under the salary cap, I dont see how that affects keeping LJ.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I kind of disagree. Yes LJ isnt producing raw numbers, but I think that when the line gives him a small lane, he is breaking runs for yardage. The problem is that he is either hit in the backfield or they penetrate/stuff the hole and make him change direction before he hits the line. I dont think there is a right or wrong stance on that, though.

    As far as us being under the salary cap, I dont see how that affects keeping LJ.
    Because we're far under the salary cap, we can release or trade LJ without the immediate cap hit sending us over the cap for 2009. We could release/trade LJ and still have flexibility in the FA market.

    LJ is a good player to have when you're winning and a bad one to have when you're losing. As we'll be losing for the forseeable future (ie until we get new management), it doesn't do us any good to keep him. RB is the easiest position to fill on a football team. Trade him if possible (I don't think it will be possible - who will want his salary and problems?), or just outright release him.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yeah...I agree with being able to fill the running back position easily. Your starting to see rookie running backs come into the league and produce right away. We are seeing it this year in guys like Matt Forte and Steve Slaton. We all know what happens when a running back hits the age of 30...they slowly start producing the high end production numbers that they are used to. LT is a great example of that this year... It will be interesting to see which direction the chiefs go regarding their running backs for next season.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    7,362
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 52

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I think he will be back next season, not saying that is good or bad, just saying he will be back next season. I just do not know if any team will trade for him and to cut him loose, to sign with anyone, with the money already invest in him, no, do not see that happening.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 111

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Because we're far under the salary cap, we can release or trade LJ without the immediate cap hit sending us over the cap for 2009. We could release/trade LJ and still have flexibility in the FA market.

    LJ is a good player to have when you're winning and a bad one to have when you're losing. As we'll be losing for the forseeable future (ie until we get new management), it doesn't do us any good to keep him. RB is the easiest position to fill on a football team. Trade him if possible (I don't think it will be possible - who will want his salary and problems?), or just outright release him.
    I see. Thanks for the clarification, forgot about the cap hit. I think the only way he is traded is if we renegotiate a smaller contract and then make a trade. I think he can MAYBE draw a late 2nd round pick if his contract was small enough.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I see. Thanks for the clarification, forgot about the cap hit. I think the only way he is traded is if we renegotiate a smaller contract and then make a trade. I think he can MAYBE draw a late 2nd round pick if his contract was small enough.
    I would be ok with a 2nd round for LJ. Let him go somewhere else and beat women up. Good luck to him getting a nice big contract tho....I always thought if he went somewhere else he would not be a very good runner, as you have to TRY on the field once in a while. You know what they say....mo money mo problems.
    "The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer."
    -John Madden

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •