Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: terrell suggs

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,449
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

    Default terrell suggs


    0 Not allowed!
    i hope baltimore can not resign him. and we can pick him up he would make a huge differance in our defense. he is a outstanding lb and is young to. if he is available i think he is a must have for kc

  2. #11
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I have to disagree that Dansby is better than Vilma. Even though Vilma may be slightly undersized, he is a solid tackler and you do not see him get ran over. Plus, the best part of Vilma is his great speed at the linebacker spot and coverage skills which KC needs to cover a tight end. I think if we stay at the third spot then draft an OT, but if we trade down, then take Curry. Think about a combo of Curry, Vilma, and Johnson.

    Haynesworth would be worth taking because we have the room in the salary cap. Signing Haynesworth with Suggs will make a great addition to the team and bring intensity to the defense.
    Well, we probably can't trade down. No one trades down from the top 5 anymore because of the large rookie contracts.

    I agree about Haynesworth and Suggs. We need someone who can be of use against the run and someone to rush the passer. They would be the best fit on our lines. If we do get Suggs, we need bigger MLB than Vilma, as Suggs is also undersized and can be a liability against the run.

    Why would you rather have DJ, Vilma, and Curry than DJ, Maualuga, and Dansby? The latter seems, to me, the much better LB corps. Vilma isn't so hot against the run, he's undersized, an he hs injury history. Dansby is very good against the run and is fast enough to cover a TE or possession WR. And Maualuga will be the next great MLB, due to his size and speed. Don't get me wrong, Curry will be a good OLB, but I think ten years from now, Maualuga will be the star of the 2009 draft.

    Or to put it another way, Curry/Vilma is fine, but I think Maualuga/Dansby would make us one of the top 3 LB corps in the league.

  3. #12
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,754
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Well, we probably can't trade down. No one trades down from the top 5 anymore because of the large rookie contracts.

    I agree about Haynesworth and Suggs. We need someone who can be of use against the run and someone to rush the passer. They would be the best fit on our lines. If we do get Suggs, we need bigger MLB than Vilma, as Suggs is also undersized and can be a liability against the run.

    Why would you rather have DJ, Vilma, and Curry than DJ, Maualuga, and Dansby? The latter seems, to me, the much better LB corps. Vilma isn't so hot against the run, he's undersized, an he hs injury history. Dansby is very good against the run and is fast enough to cover a TE or possession WR. And Maualuga will be the next great MLB, due to his size and speed. Don't get me wrong, Curry will be a good OLB, but I think ten years from now, Maualuga will be the star of the 2009 draft.

    Or to put it another way, Curry/Vilma is fine, but I think Maualuga/Dansby would make us one of the top 3 LB corps in the league.
    Until Dansby officially hits the market, I'm not counting on him being available. LBs that good are at the very least franchised. The ONLY reason I'm counting Vilma on being there is because I doubt he's worth a first round pick and the huge contract to the Saints. The Saints are pretty much THE ONLY team who can't sign Vilma. I know I'd hate to lose him, but I'd also hate to give up my first round pick for the right to re-sign him.

    I keep reading all kinds of reviews about Curry. People have him as high as 3 going to the Chiefs and as low as 22nd going to the Pats. It's hard to get a read on him, especially when you haven't seen him play. If you're the Chiefs and you KNOW that your first pick is going to be a LB, you need to do whatever you can to fill at least one of the LB holes through free agency. If they sign Vilma, they should get Curry in the draft. If they sign Dansby or another OLB, they should go ILB in the draft.

    Vilma is proving he's more than capable of being a MLB in this league. The guy is 6'1, 230. He's comparable to Ray Lewis at 6'1, 240, D'Qwell Jackson at 6'0, 240, Jon Beason at 6'0 230, Barrett Ruud at 6'2 240, Jerrod Mayo at 6'1 238.

    Jonathan Vilma currently ranks 9th in the league at LB in tackles with 4 of the 5 guys I mentioned above ranked ahead of him by no more than 20 tackles. At this point, if I have a chance to upgrade a linebacking spot, Vilma has to be at the top of the list, even if he is a MLB. He's a young, great MLB that could be part of this foundation. If that means I have to reach a little in the draft to grab Curry if I can't trade down, then so be it. Going into next season, I'd have THE BEST young MLB available in free agency and THE BEST OLB in the draft.

    I'd take that and run!!!

  4. #13
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Until Dansby officially hits the market, I'm not counting on him being available. LBs that good are at the very least franchised. The ONLY reason I'm counting Vilma on being there is because I doubt he's worth a first round pick and the huge contract to the Saints. The Saints are pretty much THE ONLY team who can't sign Vilma. I know I'd hate to lose him, but I'd also hate to give up my first round pick for the right to re-sign him.

    I keep reading all kinds of reviews about Curry. People have him as high as 3 going to the Chiefs and as low as 22nd going to the Pats. It's hard to get a read on him, especially when you haven't seen him play. If you're the Chiefs and you KNOW that your first pick is going to be a LB, you need to do whatever you can to fill at least one of the LB holes through free agency. If they sign Vilma, they should get Curry in the draft. If they sign Dansby or another OLB, they should go ILB in the draft.

    Vilma is proving he's more than capable of being a MLB in this league. The guy is 6'1, 230. He's comparable to Ray Lewis at 6'1, 240, D'Qwell Jackson at 6'0, 240, Jon Beason at 6'0 230, Barrett Ruud at 6'2 240, Jerrod Mayo at 6'1 238.

    Jonathan Vilma currently ranks 9th in the league at LB in tackles with 4 of the 5 guys I mentioned above ranked ahead of him by no more than 20 tackles. At this point, if I have a chance to upgrade a linebacking spot, Vilma has to be at the top of the list, even if he is a MLB. He's a young, great MLB that could be part of this foundation. If that means I have to reach a little in the draft to grab Curry if I can't trade down, then so be it. Going into next season, I'd have THE BEST young MLB available in free agency and THE BEST OLB in the draft.

    I'd take that and run!!!
    And I'm going to add to that Vilma is not injury prone. He had a knee problem through college and it finally became bad in his last season with the Jets. So he had one surgery and now he is back to his old self.

    While I'm still up in the air about the draft (since the Chiefs need so much), I do think Curry will be a great player. We will know more after the Combine if he is worth taking that high. I think the Chiefs could get more for their money though if they draft an OT in the first round. Looking at it, if we can sign Vilma and Suggs (those two are very doable signings) and possibly Haynesworth (some team may pay him more), then that gives a huge boost to our defense. Then the only to shady spots are an OLB and FS. I love Page, especially out in coverage, but we need coaches who can teach the guy to tackle. So I say use the first round on an OT, then draft an OLB in the second. There is a possiblity of having Brian Cushing fall into the second round, which would be a great choice for the Chiefs.

  5. #14
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,104
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 132

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    And I'm going to add to that Vilma is not injury prone. He had a knee problem through college and it finally became bad in his last season with the Jets. So he had one surgery and now he is back to his old self.

    While I'm still up in the air about the draft (since the Chiefs need so much), I do think Curry will be a great player. We will know more after the Combine if he is worth taking that high. I think the Chiefs could get more for their money though if they draft an OT in the first round. Looking at it, if we can sign Vilma and Suggs (those two are very doable signings) and possibly Haynesworth (some team may pay him more), then that gives a huge boost to our defense. Then the only to shady spots are an OLB and FS. I love Page, especially out in coverage, but we need coaches who can teach the guy to tackle. So I say use the first round on an OT, then draft an OLB in the second. There is a possiblity of having Brian Cushing fall into the second round, which would be a great choice for the Chiefs.
    If our new GM would be able to pull down al those deals ... then wow. I think we would definitely be in the playoff hunt next year. Our front seven of:

    Suggs/Dorsey/Haynesworth/Hali

    DJ/Vilma/Cushing or Curry or DJ/Maualuga/Dansby

    Man, that would bring us back to the days of DT, Neil Smith, Dan Saleamua. The punishing D's of old. The scary thing is we could probably get Cushing in the 2nd and get an OT in the 1st.

    Our safeties would never have to make a tackle because no one would get to the 2nd level.

    I have hope.

  6. #15
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,131
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Well, we probably can't trade down. No one trades down from the top 5 anymore because of the large rookie contracts.
    There is definitely some truth to that. If that is the case, the Chiefs would probably end up taking a LT or DE with the 3rd pick. That means that we might go after a big name LB in free agency. Suggs would give them the most flexibility since he could play either position(DE or LB). But he's better suited for a 3-4 scheme, so I would be surprised to see the Chiefs win the Suggs sweepstakes. So expect a big push for Vilma, ESPECIALLY if Herm is still running the show.


  7. #16
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    There is definitely some truth to that. If that is the case, the Chiefs would probably end up taking a LT or DE with the 3rd pick. That means that we might go after a big name LB in free agency. Suggs would give them the most flexibility since he could play either position(DE or LB). But he's better suited for a 3-4 scheme, so I would be surprised to see the Chiefs win the Suggs sweepstakes. So expect a big push for Vilma, ESPECIALLY if Herm is still running the show.
    However, Suggs fits the role of pass rushing DE. He has the size, speed, and strength to play DE in a 4-3 defense. Plus, he may opt for that because he would earn more money as a DE than a OLB.

  8. #17
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,131
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    However, Suggs fits the role of pass rushing DE. He has the size, speed, and strength to play DE in a 4-3 defense. Plus, he may opt for that because he would earn more money as a DE than a OLB.
    Excellent point. It all comes down to money.


  9. #18
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,991
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 434

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Excellent point. It all comes down to money.
    Understandably so, however, some would argue that is the problem.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •