Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: We need a sexy 1st round pick

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    152
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default We need a sexy 1st round pick


    0 Not allowed!
    I think the chiefs need to completely ditch the idea of drafting out of need in the first round. If we did that, we'd be taking an OT, DL or LB and we would never get the value we'd want out of him. DJ, Dorsey and Hali are all solid players but they aren't worth the first round money we pay them. This is probably going to be the last year before they have the rookie cap so we need to make sure this pick counts. If we're going to be shelling out $60mil. + for a player then it needs to be for someone like Crabtree, Bradford, Tebow or a gamebreaking RB. I kind of like Crabtree because I honestly think he's the best complete reciever I've seen in a long time and he never drops the ball. He's the kind of player you pay a crapload of money for.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

  2. #11
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,104
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 132

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The spread in the NFL isn't nearly as developed as it is in College. Teams haven't drafted or signed players to effectively run the system yet. I hear people saying it wouldn't work in the NFL, but I think it would. NFL teams are only allowed to carry 53 players on their roster. If most of the teams in the NFL are currently built to play against traditional offenses, they won't be equipped to defend the spread for an entire game because they wouldn't have the secondary depth necessary to sustain the same level of defense for an entire game... even if the NFL coaches DO figure out how to defend it. I doubt they'll be able to do it expeditiously considering college teams have been running it for years and nobody has been able to figure it out yet. Some people say that NFL coaches could figure it out, but I have my doubts. There isn't much difference in game knowledge and creativity between the two levels... if any.

    Miami has run the spread offense since week 3 and they've already won 10 games and made Chad Pennington relevant again... not to mention what the system has done for the Chiefs' O-line and their rookie QB. If you give Gailey and the offense and entire off season to work with and develop the offensive system, I think it could be quite potent. It might be a "bridge" offense until the O-line is completely built and can perform in a traditional offense. But I do think that Thigpen has earned the chance to be THE GUY for at least one year.

    I can tell you this much though... I'd rather have Thigpen for another year than commit a #3 pick and a huge contract for Stafford or Bradford and risk them busting on (perhaps) the final year of HUGE rookie contracts.
    A lot of people dont realize that New England ran a variation of the spread offense last year with Brady and Moss. That is how they put up so many points last year. Its also why they always ran up the score at the end of games. They didnt have a strong running game (relative to their passing game), so they didnt run the ball to run out the clock, instead they just stayed in their spread and moved down the field. The spread CAN be successful with the right personnel. Whether we have the right personnel is yet to be determined.

  3. #12
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    A lot of people dont realize that New England ran a variation of the spread offense last year with Brady and Moss. That is how they put up so many points last year. Its also why they always ran up the score at the end of games. They didnt have a strong running game (relative to their passing game), so they didnt run the ball to run out the clock, instead they just stayed in their spread and moved down the field. The spread CAN be successful with the right personnel. Whether we have the right personnel is yet to be determined.
    Very true. It's one of the reasons I do not think it is such a bad call. If it works for the Patriots it should be good enough for us. I know we don't have a Moss, Welker, and Stallworth to set up mismatches on defense or a playcaller like Tom Brady reading the field, but we could have relative success. I think the Chiefs have proven enough that a team can have success with the spread. The only problem now is that if the Chiefs get a new head coach, they may change things back to a traditional offense. But they may actually know how to run one.

  4. #13
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    Very true. It's one of the reasons I do not think it is such a bad call. If it works for the Patriots it should be good enough for us. I know we don't have a Moss, Welker, and Stallworth to set up mismatches on defense or a playcaller like Tom Brady reading the field, but we could have relative success. I think the Chiefs have proven enough that a team can have success with the spread. The only problem now is that if the Chiefs get a new head coach, they may change things back to a traditional offense. But they may actually know how to run one.
    Miami has done well with it this season. It's also a reason why I'm not eager to see it thrown away so quickly. The system is something that needs to be studied. The success its had in college and for Miami, Pats and Chiefs is something to take note of. If the Chiefs could get a guy like Crabtree with their first pick and Shipley in the 5th, then draft a Harrell in the 4th or McCoy next season, then you have QBs behind Thigpen who have experience in the system if Thigpen can't claim the spot definitively.

    This could allow the Chiefs more flexibility when it comes to their offensive line. It would reduce the need for a major overhaul of their right side. McIntosh seems to have figured some things out lately. Even if he hasn't, Taylor and to a lesser extent, Richardson could be ready to step in and claim that spot. By simply drafting a new Center, we could have our entire line completed.

    If the Chiefs bring in Piolli, I wouldn't expect him to completely abandon a system that he's seen work in Boston. Keeping Chan at OC would be a good move if we keep the spread, but perhaps bringing in Mike Leach as the QBs coach might be a good move for a team who is committed to building an offensive system around the spread. Just a thought.

  5. #14
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Miami has done well with it this season. It's also a reason why I'm not eager to see it thrown away so quickly. The system is something that needs to be studied. The success its had in college and for Miami, Pats and Chiefs is something to take note of. If the Chiefs could get a guy like Crabtree with their first pick and Shipley in the 5th, then draft a Harrell in the 4th or McCoy next season, then you have QBs behind Thigpen who have experience in the system if Thigpen can't claim the spot definitively.

    This could allow the Chiefs more flexibility when it comes to their offensive line. It would reduce the need for a major overhaul of their right side. McIntosh seems to have figured some things out lately. Even if he hasn't, Taylor and to a lesser extent, Richardson could be ready to step in and claim that spot. By simply drafting a new Center, we could have our entire line completed.

    If the Chiefs bring in Piolli, I wouldn't expect him to completely abandon a system that he's seen work in Boston. Keeping Chan at OC would be a good move if we keep the spread, but perhaps bringing in Mike Leach as the QBs coach might be a good move for a team who is committed to building an offensive system around the spread. Just a thought.
    Not bad. I really like the idea of developing Taylor at the RT position if we keep the spread because he has quick feet and would work great in that type of blocking scheme. I like Taylor in general, I wish they would play him more. I agree that the Chiefs need to draft a OC, which makes me happy with our position in the second round since we have a good chance at Alex Mack. While I would like a player like Crabtree, I'm still up in the air what to do with the first pick. I mean we are talking about a sexy pick and well, I think you could make the argument that Maualuga would show the direction the Chiefs want to go. I just don't know if Maualuga is any good in pass coverage, but the Chiefs need to think about it since the Chiefs are so bad at covering tight ends.

  6. #15
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    IF Crabtree was a little faster I would be all over him, but If his projected speed is correct then I think he will loose a lot of his advantage in the NFL from College.

    Maybe trade LJ away and draft the top RB if you want a sexy pick hehehe.

    I say trade down and pick up Rey M. or Duke Robinson.

  7. #16
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,977
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 430

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Crabtree will probably be there at 3 unless the Lions keep brain-farting. This would give the Chiefs the best opportunity to trade down. The problem is that everyone knows the Chiefs won't take Crabtree, so they'll probably be negotiating a trade down with the team behind the Chiefs to grab him because he'll be cheaper there.

    If I couldn't trade down and get the guy i want, I'd have to take the guy with the highest value even if he doesn't fill a team need and perhaps try and trade him later. Crabtree might be the best player available to the Chiefs at 3. I don't know quite yet.
    Agreed, some team needs might best be filled with FA; should the Chiefs actually participate in the FA market this year.


  8. #17
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mountain View, MO
    Posts
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    They are just like the Yankees. I think it would be just fine if GM dropped sponsorship in Nascar. It would take out the money and level the playing field. Hendrick just has more money then most.

  9. #18
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    OK........I know the QB's are a bit thin in the college ranks, but do all of you really beleive that Thigpen is the answer and do you really beleive we can run the spread and win?


    Yes, that's what I believe :)

  10. #19
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    OK........I know the QB's are a bit thin in the college ranks, but do all of you really beleive that Thigpen is the answer and do you really beleive we can run the spread and win?
    I don't think any NFL team can win with the spread, but I do think this guy can be our QB. Just need to put some pieces in place to run a better offense. Starts with building a line like we had 5 or 6 years ago. Once that foundation is in place, Thig could do a lot from under center and the shotgun. But strictly a spread isn't going to cut it. Can't even get a first down agains the Bungles.

  11. #20
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Still think Thigpen is the man and the spread is the way to go.
    NO FREAKIN WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    After today you would have to be smokin crack to think so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •