Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 rookie wage scale adjustment (per ESPN)

Default 2010 rookie wage scale adjustment (per ESPN)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795154

This should impact the draft HEAVILY!! This could be a VERY deep draft if juniors believe if they stay for their senior year, it could and probably will impact their wallets and their family's future.

This decision SHOULD have a major impact on the Chiefs and who they should draft. LTs and QBs are THE TWO highest paid positions in the NFL. This should only reinforce the idea that the Chiefs should stay away from these two positions this April.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post

This should impact the draft HEAVILY!! This could be a VERY deep draft if juniors believe if they stay for their senior year, it could and probably will impact their wallets and their family's future.

This decision SHOULD have a major impact on the Chiefs and who they should draft. LTs and QBs are THE TWO highest paid positions in the NFL. This should only reinforce the idea that the Chiefs should stay away from these two positions this April.
    A friend of mine has been on this theory for the past two years and it will happen, just not next year. Considering the time of the meetings and all of that, it makes sense, but if you really look into it, it would be a huge push to determine a change that fast. Nobody in the players association or the NFL front office have EVER officially discussed this. Now, of coarse this will be discussed during the next CBA meeting, but it would be atleast 1 year before this rule would take effect. Alot of agents are saying that this notion of having to come out this year are ridiculous and they are telling their players to stay, if that is whats best for them. From what I've heard, the 2011 season would be the earliest for a rookie pay scale, even if the rule was passed after the 09' season. Another huge point to be made is that the only players that this will really effect is the top 10 guys. The 1st round will change a little bit, but for the most part its these top 10 guys that they are targeting. The guy who signs in the the third round for 670k a year wont be touched. These players have to think. Am I a top ten guy? Or even a first round guy? The answer is usually no and thats why I think that this anticipation of a huge draft class is all speculation.

Sorry Tex, not tryin to argue with ya. Just already kinda had an opinion on it. Your still the man.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    A friend of mine has been on this theory for the past two years and it will happen, just not next year. Considering the time of the meetings and all of that, it makes sense, but if you really look into it, it would be a huge push to determine a change that fast. Nobody in the players association or the NFL front office have EVER officially discussed this. Now, of coarse this will be discussed during the next CBA meeting, but it would be atleast 1 year before this rule would take effect. Alot of agents are saying that this notion of having to come out this year are ridiculous and they are telling their players to stay, if that is whats best for them. From what I've heard, the 2011 season would be the earliest for a rookie pay scale, even if the rule was passed after the 09' season. Another huge point to be made is that the only players that this will really effect is the top 10 guys. The 1st round will change a little bit, but for the most part its these top 10 guys that they are targeting. The guy who signs in the the third round for 670k a year wont be touched. These players have to think. Am I a top ten guy? Or even a first round guy? The answer is usually no and thats why I think that this anticipation of a huge draft class is all speculation.

Sorry Tex, not tryin to argue with ya. Just already kinda had an opinion on it. Your still the man.
    I'm interested to see where you get this from. Underclassmen shouldn't have "agents" yet.

The CBA is going to have to be resolved this spring. Otherwise, they will run the risk of there being an uncapped year or even a stike/lockout in 2010. You could be right. Once more things get published and the more we learn about the situation, it may not affect this class. But everything that's being PUBLISHED right now says the exact opposite.

Either way, I'd still stay away from drafting a QB or LT in the top 3. We got an absolute steal IMO in Branden Albert. We might have drafted the best LT at 15 and I think moving that guy to guard would kill the value we got with that pick. Also, if we get another LT or QB in the top 3, we'd get the last QB/LT to get that kind of money and it would result in a competitive disadvantage when you think that the following season, teams would be getting equal talent for much less. All I'm saying is that THIS YEAR, we should avoid drafting the two highest paid positions in football. That's all. When you think about it, THIS season is a season where you could go and fill other positions of need and not HAVE to go out and grab that franchise LT or QB.

I'm interested to see where you get this from. Underclassmen shouldn't have "agents" yet.

The CBA is going to have to be resolved this spring. Otherwise, they will run the risk of there being an uncapped year or even a stike/lockout in 2010. You could be right. Once more things get published and the more we learn about the situation, it may not affect this class. But everything that's being PUBLISHED right now says the exact opposite.

Either way, I'd still stay away from drafting a QB or LT in the top 3. We got an absolute steal IMO in Branden Albert. We might have drafted the best LT at 15 and I think moving that guy to guard would kill the value we got with that pick. Also, if we get another LT or QB in the top 3, we'd get the last QB/LT to get that kind of money and it would result in a competitive disadvantage when you think that the following season, teams would be getting equal talent for much less. All I'm saying is that THIS YEAR, we should avoid drafting the two highest paid positions in football. That's all. When you think about it, THIS season is a season where you could go and fill other positions of need and not HAVE to go out and grab that franchise LT or QB.
    Hahaha nice one on the agents thing. Yeah I twisted that one up, but honestly, I read about this in the Denver Post today and agents were saying its a bad idea to come out. Good ideas on the rest though Tex.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

I still say you take the best player available. Any player taken that high will demand high money. While I think a rookie wage cap would benefit everyone, I see it back firing sort of. Rookies may opt to sign for less years in their first contract, so they will be re-signed sooner for more money. However, that is not entirely bad because they could show potential and talent by that amount of time. The problem comes when that contract expires, that rookie will demand a high contract for being paid like one of the top at his position when he does show the talent, you may have used a first round for him, but he actually hit his peak already. But how can you tell? Do you hit him with the franchise tag. Or he goes to free agency and another team may end up paying him big money. I don't know really, I'm just speculating. Bottom line, it is a good idea, but it should not influence how you draft this season.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I still say you take the best player available. Any player taken that high will demand high money. While I think a rookie wage cap would benefit everyone, I see it back firing sort of. Rookies may opt to sign for less years in their first contract, so they will be re-signed sooner for more money. However, that is not entirely bad because they could show potential and talent by that amount of time. The problem comes when that contract expires, that rookie will demand a high contract for being paid like one of the top at his position when he does show the talent, you may have used a first round for him, but he actually hit his peak already. But how can you tell? Do you hit him with the franchise tag. Or he goes to free agency and another team may end up paying him big money. I don't know really, I'm just speculating. Bottom line, it is a good idea, but it should not influence how you draft this season.
    The system works in the NBA. There's no reason to think it can't work in the NFL. There's even "slot money" in MLB who doesn't even have a salary cap. There needs to be something in place for the NFL. All this would really do is put pressure on the coaching staff and GM to identify the talent that the team should hold on to.

I think the opportunity to get to free agency sooner to perhaps sign a bigger contract would be offset by the prospect of not being able to reach maximum potential in the allotted years in that rookie contract. This could render those rookies as free agents in limbo.

Also, the rookie "cap" probably wouldn't just apply to rookies. It would probably follow the model of the NBA pretty closely. You'd probably only be able to reach "max deals" after a certain amount of time in the league or after spending a pre-determined amount of time with your original team.

The system works in the NBA. There's no reason to think it can't work in the NFL. There's even "slot money" in MLB who doesn't even have a salary cap. There needs to be something in place for the NFL. All this would really do is put pressure on the coaching staff and GM to identify the talent that the team should hold on to.

I think the opportunity to get to free agency sooner to perhaps sign a bigger contract would be offset by the prospect of not being able to reach maximum potential in the allotted years in that rookie contract. This could render those rookies as free agents in limbo.

Also, the rookie "cap" probably wouldn't just apply to rookies. It would probably follow the model of the NBA pretty closely. You'd probably only be able to reach "max deals" after a certain amount of time in the league or after spending a pre-determined amount of time with your original team.
    I do think it is a good idea. No doubt about it. I guess it does boil down to how the structure it. Even then it may take a few years to refine it.

We got an absolute steal IMO in Branden Albert. We might have drafted the best LT at 15 and I think moving that guy to guard would kill the value we got with that pick.
    I could not agree more. Albert has played well. Why screw it up? We can get other OL players much later in the draft. The only part that I might disagree with is about Albert being the best LT in last year's draft. Jake Long has been great. I've also been very impressed with Ryan Clady, LT Denver. Otah played great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I do think it is a good idea. No doubt about it. I guess it does boil down to how the structure it. Even then it may take a few years to refine it.
    The NFL desperately needs a rookie salary cap.

We're going to be paying our 3rd pick the same no matter the position, more than likely. Maybe a couple million in difference, but we're not going to get a major discount for drafting LB or WR or anything. We paid Dorsey this year based on his draft position a whole lot more than we did based on his field position.

I thought I read something on ESPN that the Commish said no rookie salary cap until 2011 at the earliest. They have never discussed it officially and they wont until the off-season meetings this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast